LSU targeting Brian Kelly (per The Athletic)

He has done nothing to deserve that kind of salary.
Free market and Bama started this war. You should be the last program criticizing how LSU spends their money.

If I were a Bama fan I would be more concerned about how the Texas schools and Oklahoma will be structuring NIL deals to attract the top players in the country. It is going to happen.

Wow

I must say, I saw an interesting post on LSU coach salaries on their forum. It may be that LSU actually started the sabanization of college football. He made 1.2 million there the first year base salary, but based on this post it doubled fairly quickly and at that time, only 3 coaches (Fulmer being one) made a million.

Wow

I must say, I saw an interesting post on LSU coach salaries on their forum. It may be that LSU actually started the sabanization of college football. He made 1.2 million there the first year base salary, but based on this post it doubled fairly quickly and at that time, only 3 coaches (Fulmer being one) made a million.
Spurrier was the first $1million and $2 million dollar man of CFB.

This is a valid point. I didn’t consider academic restrictions. However, I still think it’s a silly move on his part. Of course we haven’t seen the paycheck yet…
There's also this stat:
win % before/at LSU:
Ed O= 37%/73%
Miles= 57%/77%
Saban= 57%/75%

Brian Kelly bolting Notre Dame for LSU is latest example of a sport gone mad
Loyalty is a rare thing anymore. Not for the coaches, but also not the schools. Coach O wouldn’t have been fired so quickly a decade ago. Dan Mullen doesn’t get bounced out of Florida after one bad year and some shaky recruiting rankings. Jimmy Lake wouldn’t have been let go at Washington after just 13 games.

Everything is next, next, next … it’s not even now, now, now.

Certainly not when Brian Kelly, staring down another playoff appearance, flat out gives up the winner he built and figures he has a better chance somewhere else.

And they used to get upset when the players sat out bowl games.

Days of innocence, it was.

Last edited:
Reactions: tntar heel
Brian Kelly bolting Notre Dame for LSU is latest example of a sport gone mad
Loyalty is a rare thing anymore. Not for the coaches, but also not the schools. Coach O wouldn’t have been fired so quickly a decade ago. Dan Mullen doesn’t get bounced out of Florida after one bad year and some shaky recruiting rankings. Jimmy Lake wouldn’t have been let go at Washington after just 13 games.

Everything is next, next, next … it’s not even now, now, now.

Certainly not when Brian Kelly, staring down another playoff appearance, flat out gives up the winner he built and figures he has a better chance somewhere else.

And they used to get upset when the players sat out bowl games.

Days of innocence, it was.
Good article.

I wonder why the media and everyone is handwringing over him leaving ND so soon. This is what college football is and what most people wanted it to be.

Reports are it’s a done deal Kelly to LSU.

All I’ll say is it sucks for any coach to bail on his team with a chance to get in CFP. This rush to hire coaches is about the recruiting date in 2 weeks. Maybe they need to go back to the 1date in Feb. This is ridiculous

LSU went full retard.

The Mets gave Matt Scherzer $43 million a year to pitch around 30 baseball games.

The college coaches are getting paid nothing compared to most MLB players

Javy Baez is about to get 6 years/$140 million. I love Javy but dude has never seen a pitch he wouldn't swing at, before it even leaves the pitcher's hand. Last season he swung at a pitch that bounced about 3 feet in front of the plate.

Reactions: vols 30
Ah so it’s not possible than when Declan was asked to do this, he thought “well it’s incredibly windy and the conditions are more wild than usual but with them asking me to do this they must know the stanchion is safe for me to be up there since this is a multi million dollar program.

Instead you want to blame a 20 year old trying to make his tuition for allegedly (not that you would even know) hero worshiping Brian Kelly, even though you have no evidence of this?

Congrats, you’ve officially accomplished the worst take I’ve ever seen on this board. Not even Notre Dame fans think this.
I guarantee you that's exactly what the poor kid thought. He was 20, with his scholarship dependent upon filming practice, at a place he had a huge cultural affinity for.

This argument in defense of Kelly amounts to "If that was me, a mature adult working at a place I have no cultural affinity for or financial dependence on, then I wouldn't have gotten up there." It's crazy.

The memory holing of that event relative to something like Urban's handling of the Zach Smith situation, which while sad did not result in someone's death, has always been inexplicable to me. It was a news story for like a day, then almost totally disappeared.

Respectfully, do you think this is a good match?

I can’t see ole silver spoon meshing well with rowdy Cajuns

From a technically stand point, meaning coaching skill... its a good hire. From every other perspective i.e. age, low T (energy), major rebuild, money, and culture... its a horrible hire.

Solid coach... wrong place, wrong time. A decade ago... maybe you let it slide but I don't see this working out in today's world.

From a technically stand point, meaning coaching skill... its a good hire. From every other perspective i.e. age, low T (energy), major rebuild, money, and culture... its a horrible hire.

Solid coach... wrong place, wrong time. A decade ago... maybe you let it slide but I don't see this working out in today's world.
Agreed. This doesn't feel like a homerun hire. I mean the steal from ND is more headline grabbing than Riley to USC, in my opinion, but from a hiring standpoint, I'm more shocked he left ND than I am intrigued/scared by the hire.

Reactions: LSU-SIU
Yeah, but would he have us in the hunt every year against the competition we play, the way he does at ND? I think he would have lasted 5-6 years here. JMO.

in todays world, 5-6 years is pretty good

LSU gave Kelly a Mel Tucker contract and the Tennessee-LSU game in Baton Rouge next season should be an offensive shootout.

Reactions: Jax_Vol
I feel like LSU was embarrassed after losing Riley to USC and seeing Napier leave for Florida, and they just backed a Brinks truck up and asked BK what it would take to leave, and they would do it. And he said 100m, and they said bet…

Reactions: tbwhhs
I feel like LSU was embarrassed after losing Riley to USC and seeing Napier leave for Florida, and they just backed a Brinks truck up and asked BK what it would take to leave, and they would do it. And he said 100m, and they said bet…

And I bet by year 3 they’ll regret it.

Apparently, Brian Kelly's salary is so high because he'll also be LSU's swim coach.

FFjgEVKWYA0c8um

VN Store

Back