Louisville prepared to lose women's basketball coach Jeff Walz to Tennessee

Has nothing to do with his gender, has to do with two things. First is total compensation. He's not taking a pay cut, even for the Tennessee job. And Tennessee isn't paying a $1.5 million buyout just for the right to hire him.

Second is that he was on staff at Maryland when three separate incidents occurred that UT ended up turning in to the SEC/NCAA for recruiting and tampering violations. Two of the people involved in putting together those reports for submission to the NCAA are on the hiring committee for this search. A third person who was at the center of one of those reports will be consulted on the search or may even also be a part of the committee. No one with Maryland ties from 2003-2007 is getting this job unless there is a significant change of heart on the Hill.

I don't know who the hire will ultimately be, but I expect Tennessee will have conversations with Kellie Harper, Gail Goestenkors and Wes Moore early next week, although Moore has indicated to some at NC State that the ship has sailed on him pursing other jobs at this point in his career. I've been told they will also reach out to a couple of Pac 12 head coaches, but I'm not sure that will be a fit. One person I've talked to said Dawn Staley would listen, but I find that VERY difficult to believe based on her salary and her significant other also being a USC employee with a job that would keep that person in Columbia indefinitely. I also think they will reach out to Karen Alston at Texas, whose program is facing budget cuts under the new AD in Austin.
Karen Aston is Holly. Gets all the talent in the world and has no idea what to do with it. She’s on the hot seat herself at Texas. That’s the absolute wrong way to go.

You just made me think of the day of Currie's introductory presser. That was the funniest damn thing I have ever seen. I sat their watching it at work with my mouth hanging open. I was thinking why in the world have TN gotten into this mess. I thought Beverly was the silliest educated person I had ever seen.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
You just made me think of the day of Currie's introductory presser. That was the funniest damn thing I have ever seen. I sat their watching it at work with my mouth hanging open. I was thinking why in the world have TN gotten into this mess. I thought Beverly was the silliest educated person I had ever seen.
I feel a hell of a lot better having a coaching search with Coach Fulmer as AD than I did with that idiot Currie

The volleyball head has her husband on her staff but not sure how they get around the nepotism rule the state of Tenn has. Co head coaches work well for the weeklys and I am sure be arranged!

Since they were not married when they arrived, they were not subject to the nepotism rule. Once they are married, he will be able to remain on staff, but will report directly to the Associate AD that is sport administrator for volleyball, rather than the head coach.

A husband/wife team cannot be hired to the same staff without being co-head coaches. A sitting coach that marries an assistant can have the direct report setup to avoid the nepotism rule.

Reactions: Franklin Pierce
Now I remember whom he reminds me of...Ed Bundy.
I know who Ted and Al. Bundy is, but not Ed.
LOL .... who the hell is "Ed Bundy" ? it's AL BUNDY played by the actor ED O'NEILL
literally
LOL'ing

D'oh! (smacks self in head).

Oh, well...these last three seasons have wreaked havoc on the few remaining. brain cells. Glad my gaseous cerebral expulsion could provide a few chuckles (to me, too...shakes head).

As the old Michael Caine movie said...blame it on Raoul.

Reactions: TenUhSee
I wonder how much Greg Schiano knows about basketball?
zcZKQmRItjDsoaq.jpg.gif

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Truth Truth Truth. My god ya'll don't need Aston. Let her stay at Austin. Baylor loves her.
As a Texas fan (and also Tennessee fan) please take her! LOL 🤣
Just kidding.
Best of luck on the coaching search. Seriously, I'm anxious to see what a new coach will do with the abundance of talent in Knoxville. The right hire will have that team back in the Sweet 16 and probably Elite Eight immediately... from there anything can happen. Tennessee fans deserve a contender!

Sadly, Jeff Walz is no longer being considered. I'm afraid we'll get a former Lady Vol, not someone who has taken a team to the final four.

Since they were not married when they arrived, they were not subject to the nepotism rule. Once they are married, he will be able to remain on staff, but will report directly to the Associate AD that is sport administrator for volleyball, rather than the head coach.

A husband/wife team cannot be hired to the same staff without being co-head coaches. A sitting coach that marries an assistant can have the direct report setup to avoid the nepotism rule.
Thank you for that information! Just curious how would you think the deal at MTSU with father and son be?

VN Store

Back