Louisville prepared to lose women's basketball coach Jeff Walz to Tennessee

True. It wasn't the plan to announce it until they were eliminated. But it got out and they had no choice but to confirm and make the formal announcement.
you also have to wonder if Phil didn't give her the opportunity to resign, she declined, and then he had to fire her and it leaked.

Has nothing to do with his gender, has to do with two things. First is total compensation. He's not taking a pay cut, even for the Tennessee job. And Tennessee isn't paying a $1.5 million buyout just for the right to hire him.

Second is that he was on staff at Maryland when three separate incidents occurred that UT ended up turning in to the SEC/NCAA for recruiting and tampering violations. Two of the people involved in putting together those reports for submission to the NCAA are on the hiring committee for this search. A third person who was at the center of one of those reports will be consulted on the search or may even also be a part of the committee. No one with Maryland ties from 2003-2007 is getting this job unless there is a significant change of heart on the Hill.

I don't know who the hire will ultimately be, but I expect Tennessee will have conversations with Kellie Harper, Gail Goestenkors and Wes Moore early next week, although Moore has indicated to some at NC State that the ship has sailed on him pursing other jobs at this point in his career. I've been told they will also reach out to a couple of Pac 12 head coaches, but I'm not sure that will be a fit. One person I've talked to said Dawn Staley would listen, but I find that VERY difficult to believe based on her salary and her significant other also being a USC employee with a job that would keep that person in Columbia indefinitely. I also think they will reach out to Karen Alston at Texas, whose program is facing budget cuts under the new AD in Austin.
Well, if those are the choices just hire Kellie. Not a very impressive list!!

I have a serious question? If Jeff Walz is hired will the fans give him enough time to get his stuff implemented?

Do we give Jeff who has been there or say someone like Kellie or even a Rueck the same time to restore greatness.

My worry is that if any coach doesn’t win instantly it is see we shoulda hired this or that person and that also becomes a distraction for the team.

I have a serious question? If Jeff Walz is hired will the fans give him enough time to get his stuff implemented?

Do we give Jeff who has been there or say someone like Kellie or even a Rueck the same time to restore greatness.

My worry is that if any coach doesn’t win instantly it is see we shoulda hired this or that person and that also becomes a distraction for the team.
I think the next head coach will get 5 years at the very least to turn things around

Reactions: sccshortstop
Who would you want on the list?

Why Gail Goestenkors? She retired from Texas because she said she was tired. What do you think a job here would do to you?
As for Karen Alston, hasn't Holly been able to beat her on a regular basis?
As for Wes Moore, I like him, but if someone is given 5 years to get the program rolling again then he would be getting ready to retire.
I just don't think those west coast coaches will embrace the culture here.

I would rather have Tennessee hire Gail Goestenkors the former Duke and Texas head coach who is an assistant with the Indiana Fever than hire Texas head coach Karen Aston or Ohio State head coach Kevin McGuff.

Absolute no to Kevin McGuff. His teams are just plain bad defensively. That won’t fly in the SEC. We would be like lambs to slaughter. Might score 80 points a game but we would give up 105.

Why Gail Goestenkors? She retired from Texas because she said she was tired. What do you think a job here would do to you?
Gail must not be too tired since she's an assistant coach on the Indiana Fever of the WNBA

Absolute no to Kevin McGuff. His teams are just plain bad defensively. That won’t fly in the SEC. We would be like lambs to slaughter. Might score 80 points a game but we would give up 105.
I was responding to a poster who mentioned OSU and I thought he was talking about Ohio State when he was talking about Oregon State;)

Reactions: VolBall09
As for Wes Moore, I like him, but if someone is given 5 years to get the program rolling again then he would be getting ready to retire.
I just don't think those west coast coaches will embrace the culture here.

I’ve never been to Oregon so I know we say west coast coach but are UCLA and Or St comparable in terms of lifestyle and pace?

VN Store

Back