Louisville prepared to lose women's basketball coach Jeff Walz to Tennessee

Professional respect all around. As soon as Warlick is fired or takes another job in the athletic department, everything gets ramped up. IF Walz is a viable hire by us it’ll be double or triple the pressure going into the Final Four...and he’s already declining questions.

Agree. Things are pointing pretty strongly at Walz as the guy, but Fulmer would not do anything until Louisville is done for the year.

Reactions: butchna
She wasn’t getting fired last season..... the extension was meaningless besides maybe looking like our situation is stable....it did help us negotiate a lower buy out to make it easier to fire her this year..... it will be up to the new coach to salvage a relationship with Westbrook.

Hopefully, Evina hasn't already made her mind up.

Bingo. Walz probably planted the story to get another raise.

I agree. He believes he has a final four team this year. That’s an excellent time to go for another raise. Especially if they’re afraid you’re about to jump ship and take another high profile job.

Only thing that makes me think he might be considering it is that he will lose a lot after this season in terms of talent and he doesn’t have much coming in. Durr will be gone and so will Fuehring. That’s basically his scoring and rebounding/defense. They have some guards coming in but they won’t have much in terms of post play. Shook and Dunham are both juniors but neither has shown the ability to fill the inside like Fuehring.

I agree. He believes he has a final four team this year. That’s an excellent time to go for another raise. Especially if they’re afraid you’re about to jump ship and take another high profile job.

Only thing that makes me think he might be considering it is that he will lose a lot after this season in terms of talent and he doesn’t have much coming in. Durr will be gone and so will Fuehring. That’s basically his scoring and rebounding/defense. They have some guards coming in but they won’t have much in terms of post play. Shook and Dunham are both juniors but neither has shown the ability to fill the inside like Fuehring.
Their athletic department isn't doing well financially and the new AD is looking to cut costs. So I doubt he gives Walz more money......in fact he probably wants him to leave so they can hire someone cheaper.

Best case scenario; Holly decides for the good of her team to retire early. That said, most likely she will be back next year because we are not paying a buyout for a women’s basketball coach.

Giving Holly an extension has been Fulmer’s biggest misstep as AD.

No it wasn’t. Great move because her buyout was lowered significantly but on the surface, it helped with recruiting.

Their athletic department isn't doing well financially and the new AD is looking to cut costs. So I doubt he gives Walz more money......in fact he probably wants him to leave so they can hire someone cheaper.

Yes. Didn't they have to give Bobby "Bimbo" Petrino a king's ransom to go away and not coach somewhere?

Yes. Didn't they have to give Bobby "Bimbo" Petrino a king's ransom to go away and not coach somewhere?
Yes......they have to pay him over 14 million over the next year. Also they had to pay the former AD 7 million and they're being sued by Pitino for 37 million dollars. I'm assuming the legal costs for the aren't cheap on top of the possibly of losing and having to pay the 37 million. Plus they aren't getting that Papa John's money anymore.

Reactions: VOL_Lyfe

Walz just got a contract extension and raise less than a year ago, including substantial bonuses for making the FF or winning a NC, making him one of the highest paid employees at the U of L. I doubt he can leverage a Tenn offer into another raise now.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Could be some heart break coming. Wasn't it a couple of years ago that Walz used the possibility of leaving to get a $300,000 raise. It worked once, probably will work again. But don't worry, he'll probably send all the 'predictors' a thankyou card

Could be some heart break coming. Wasn't it a couple of years ago that Walz used the possibility of leaving to get a $300,000 raise. It worked once, probably will work again. But don't worry, he'll probably send all the 'predictors' a thankyou card
I guess you want a mid-major head coach that you have to look up on Wikipedia:rolleyes: Tennessee is too good to have to settle for mid-major women's basketball coaches:)

Jumping the gun here but if we do hire him,
My questions are are his players whom he recruited, past present, future, follow him?
What’s his recruiting class look like for next year?

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
That article is from June and je did get an extension till the 24/25 season but that doesn't stop him from leaving for work elsewhere. Walz and his new AD aren't getting along and The new AD is looking to cut costs. Louisville athletic department isn't doing well financially since they're having to pay over 21 million dollars in buyouts to the previous football coaching staff and AD. Plus their not getting that Papa John's money anymore.

I guess you want a mid-major head coach that you have to look up on Wikipedia:rolleyes: Tennessee is too good to have to settle for mid-major women's basketball coaches:)
You must have an act as a psychic see as how you know what everyone else wants. But I will give you my thoughts; I don't think PF wants to give Walz $2 million base plus incentives to leave L'ville. My choice would be Kellie. She obviously knows how to coach players up. So finally some of the players high point isn't being a MackeyD's all American.

You must have an act as a psychic see as how you know what everyone else wants. But I will give you my thoughts; I don't think PF wants to give Walz $2 million base plus incentives to leave L'ville. My choice would be Kellie. She obviously knows how to coach players up. So finally some of the players high point isn't being a MackeyD's all American.
Ignore is a wonderful feature on Volnation where dealing with arrogant people:rolleyes:

VN Store

Back