Louisville prepared to lose women's basketball coach Jeff Walz to Tennessee

Let me say again, I do not believe that Walz will be a candidate for the position.

I would be absolutely stunned if he even gets an interview. People I have spoken with are doubling down on him not getting consideration. We'll see.
Heard you the first 100 times. 😴

Let me say again, I do not believe that Walz will be a candidate for the position.

I would be absolutely stunned if he even gets an interview. People I have spoken with are doubling down on him not getting consideration. We'll see.

Because he is a male ? Also I won’t ask who you are hearing but do you think the candidates will help turn around and get the LV back on track ?

You also didn’t think they would fire Holly while the men were still in the tournament. But that obviously happened.

Reactions: cutiepie5
You also didn’t think they would fire Holly while the men were still in the tournament. But that obviously happened.

True. It wasn't the plan to announce it until they were eliminated. But it got out and they had no choice but to confirm and make the formal announcement.

Because he is a male ? Also I won’t ask who you are hearing but do you think the candidates will help turn around and get the LV back on track ?

Has nothing to do with his gender, has to do with two things. First is total compensation. He's not taking a pay cut, even for the Tennessee job. And Tennessee isn't paying a $1.5 million buyout just for the right to hire him.

Second is that he was on staff at Maryland when three separate incidents occurred that UT ended up turning in to the SEC/NCAA for recruiting and tampering violations. Two of the people involved in putting together those reports for submission to the NCAA are on the hiring committee for this search. A third person who was at the center of one of those reports will be consulted on the search or may even also be a part of the committee. No one with Maryland ties from 2003-2007 is getting this job unless there is a significant change of heart on the Hill.

I don't know who the hire will ultimately be, but I expect Tennessee will have conversations with Kellie Harper, Gail Goestenkors and Wes Moore early next week, although Moore has indicated to some at NC State that the ship has sailed on him pursing other jobs at this point in his career. I've been told they will also reach out to a couple of Pac 12 head coaches, but I'm not sure that will be a fit. One person I've talked to said Dawn Staley would listen, but I find that VERY difficult to believe based on her salary and her significant other also being a USC employee with a job that would keep that person in Columbia indefinitely. I also think they will reach out to Karen Alston at Texas, whose program is facing budget cuts under the new AD in Austin.

Has nothing to do with his gender, has to do with two things. First is total compensation. He's not taking a pay cut, even for the Tennessee job. And Tennessee isn't paying a $1.5 million buyout just for the right to hire him.

Second is that he was on staff at Maryland when three separate incidents occurred that UT ended up turning in to the SEC/NCAA for recruiting and tampering violations. Two of the people involved in putting together those reports for submission to the NCAA are on the hiring committee for this search. A third person who was at the center of one of those reports will be consulted on the search or may even also be a part of the committee. No one with Maryland ties from 2003-2007 is getting this job unless there is a significant change of heart on the Hill.

I don't know who the hire will ultimately be, but I expect Tennessee will have conversations with Kellie Harper, Gail Goestenkors and Wes Moore early next week, although Moore has indicated to some at NC State that the ship has sailed on him pursing other jobs at this point in his career. I've been told they will also reach out to a couple of Pac 12 head coaches, but I'm not sure that will be a fit. One person I've talked to said Dawn Staley would listen, but I find that VERY difficult to believe based on her salary and her significant other also being a USC employee with a job that would keep that person in Columbia indefinitely. I also think they will reach out to Karen Alston at Texas, whose program is facing budget cuts under the new AD in Austin.

Thank you. I’m not to keen on Karen Aston but OSU coach I wouldn’t be down on. And Dawn “whoa” how awkward would that be lol

Thank you. I’m not to keen on Karen Aston but OSU coach I wouldn’t be down on. And Dawn “whoa” how awkward would that be lol
I would rather have Tennessee hire Gail Goestenkors the former Duke and Texas head coach who is an assistant with the Indiana Fever than hire Texas head coach Karen Aston or Ohio State head coach Kevin McGuff.

I would expect those two Pac12 coaches to be Rueck and Oregon State and Close at UCLA.

I’m glad it’s out there that Walz isn’t coming, and it’s not because he’s a man, it’s because he has zero ethics. Brenda Freese probably has them in a jar somewhere at Maryland.

I would expect those two Pac12 coaches to be Rueck and Oregon State and Close at UCLA.

I’m glad it’s out there that Walz isn’t coming, and it’s not because he’s a man, it’s because he has zero ethics. Brenda Freese probably has them in a jar somewhere at Maryland.
How do you know Jeff Walz isn't coming? Because nothing has been said. The things that have said he's not coming are unreliable tweets. I think Jeff Walz will be the next women's head basketball coach of Tennessee.

Reactions: bullet20
I would rather have Tennessee hire Gail Goestenkors the former Duke and Texas head coach who is an assistant with the Indiana Fever than hire Texas head coach Karen Aston or Ohio State head coach Kevin McGuff.
They were talking about Oregon State coach Scott Rueck and not the Ohio State coach.

I expect the ball is already rolling since those talked about are out of the tourney I think. I remember those days that DP12 is referring to and did not remember Walz was part of Freese staff. That being said and if Candace is on the search committee she was the one they were tampering with. I would bet that someone with any known ethics problems is out and Walz too. I just do not see a west coast person coming here to the south but who knows. If Wes don't want to move that's up to him to decide. Getting closer to Kellie and I can live with that. Got to get this one right regardless of how long it takes! JMHO as always!

I expect the ball is already rolling since those talked about are out of the tourney I think. I remember those days that DP12 is referring to and did not remember Walz was part of Freese staff. That being said and if Candace is on the search committee she was the one they were tampering with. I would bet that someone with any known ethics problems is out and Walz too. I just do not see a west coast person coming here to the south but who knows. If Wes don't want to move that's up to him to decide. Getting closer to Kellie and I can live with that. Got to get this one right regardless of how long it takes! JMHO as always!

If it's not Walz as was first reported, then I think you have to realize who is running the show. Coach Fulmer will take as long as is necessary to get the person he thinks is the right fit. Again, if it is not Walz, And I trust DP on this, then we are going to hear a lot of names, but we probably won't know until the Press Conference is announced.

I know we want the best coach but he seems too expensive - the reality is that matters too.

Well, now I feel worse. Search committee? Public/tax money involved. Names of who’s on it? I never supported Walz hire, but 12-16 years ago when he was a an assistant? What about last 12-16 years when he’s been a head coach? Is this just throwing out stuff to make a viable candidate look bad and a ploy so a “pet” who is lesser qualified can be offered? Is the committee vindictive and holier than thou or truly dedicated to what is best for the LVBB and UT? Texas coach? I’m sorry..... just who is being considered and what qualifications are paramount? I like Kellie (inexperience Power 5, I know); I like Wes Moore (61, only maybe 5-7 years, I know). I’m not saying hire someone unethical etc., but let’s not be petty or agenda driven and not give a qualified person a fair look. That person might say no anyway. But DP has not given me warm fuzzies today.

Maybe our past experience with “search” committees and admin/bot competency influences my feelings.

Let Phil do his job. Consult Kara. Forget personal agenda. Do what is best for program.

And 1.5 million is not that much to get a coach; crunch the numbers and look at pay back time IF the program becomes success again. What hire makes that most likely?

Fire away, but I don’t like the feel I get from DP’s post. Not you DP👍, just the feel for who might be driving this search and what their motives and agenda are.

Well, now I feel worse. Search committee? Public/tax money involved. Names of who’s on it? I never supported Walz hire, but 12-16 years ago when he was a an assistant? What about last 12-16 years when he’s been a head coach? Is this just throwing out stuff to make a viable candidate look bad and a ploy so a “pet” who is lesser qualified can be offered? Is the committee vindictive and holier than thou or truly dedicated to what is best for the LVBB and UT? Texas coach? I’m sorry..... just who is being considered and what qualifications are paramount? I like Kellie (inexperience Power 5, I know); I like Wes Moore (61, only maybe 5-7 years, I know). I’m not saying hire someone unethical etc., but let’s not be petty or agenda driven and not give a qualified person a fair look. That person might say no anyway. But DP has not given me warm fuzzies today.

Maybe our past experience with “search” committees and admin/bot competency influences my feelings.

Let Phil do his job. Consult Kara. Forget personal agenda. Do what is best for program.

And 1.5 million is not that much to get a coach; crunch the numbers and look at pay back time IF the program becomes success again. What hire makes that most likely?

Fire away, but I don’t like the feel I get from DP’s post. Not you DP👍, just the feel for who might be driving this search and what their motives and agenda are.

Well since it was supposedly LVs they tampered with as an assistant I guess people around Knoxville figure if you did it once why not again? It might be different if he “took”players from say ND and then was a candidate here but it’s a little different if it got messy within the athletic department and some of those close to program (especially a high profile one like Candace) knows what went on and then boom he is your next LV coach. I’m not saying this is the case but I’m just giving that the reason might be invalid to you but seem very valid to others.

There is no denying his on court teams have succeeded with three final fours and a runner up appearance (id welcome that). But we have to remember Pat cancelled a series for what she perceived as a big deal but the NCAA considered a secondary minor violation. So just two different points of view I guess which seemed major to some and so much to others.

VN Store

Back