looks like Jazmine is leaving

"wish her the best" ... "do what you gotta do girl" ... blah blah blah .... she's a QUITTER. She was a starter with ample playing time. A QUITTER I say. Finish what you started girl. Honor your commitment.

Well that is one way to look at it..... on the other hand she came here with the intention of HW as coach.... and the plug was pulled on that.... different scenario.....

I asked several times during the season if she was recruited as a PG and wanted to be a PG but never really got an answer. Guess we'll find out now.

Her mother posted on Facebook that Jordan was a point guard. This was early in the season.
The way it was posted made me think that's the position Jordan wants to play.[/QUOTE]

Great, so if Kellie doesn't make her the point guard she can hop in the portal too. Jordan can be a great player at Tennessee, but they will never contend for anything of importance if she is the primary point guard...

Right on Darth....

Horston does not appear to value the ball enough, at this point in her career, to be a strong point guard candidate....

There were times she looked so good with the ball at the point position, even I thought/hoped she had turned the corner, and then "wham" turnover city again....

When she is on, Horston looks so fabulous, but when she is off, forget about it.
w640xh480_GettyImages-1187863195.jpg

Horston has the skill set to become amazing. Her game craves discipline. Her bouts of “wildness“ have to be reeled in. Similar assertions can be said of Burrell’s game (over penetration/over zealousness) and Davis‘s (shot selection). Better control yields more efficiency and better resolve. But Harper’s task isn’t limited to just one player in terms of achieving better control.

Right on Darth....

Horston does not appear to value the ball enough, at this point in her career, to be a strong point guard candidate....

There were times she looked so good with the ball at the point position, even I thought/hoped she had turned the corner, and then "wham" turnover city again....

When she is on, Horston looks so fabulous, but when she is off, forget about it.
w640xh480_GettyImages-1187863195.jpg

Freshmen become sophomores GT
Jordan will as well

Her natural position is/was point guard
did you ever see her play the point for the USA team:

Watch her.
Over the summer, she will grow a little more.

One last thought...the portal is a financial hardship driver as well as a heartbreaker. In the case of Zaay, the university pays for recruiting and afterwards tuition, room and board then she gets hurt and the university pays for the surgical repair and for the subsequent rehabilitation. I guess that's the way the cookie crumbles but in the end, the university gets shafted big-time. Not sure there is a good solution to neutralize that so I wonder how long schools can lose money that way.

The Tennessee WBB team has lost money for several years in a row now. That means the university is losing money on every player who receives a scholarship, not just Green. The players who are returning in the fall are also a financial drain on the university, not just the two players who have announced that they are leaving. The only "solution to neutralize that" would be to eliminate all non-revenue-generating sports.

Horston has the skill set to become amazing. Her game craves discipline. Her bouts of “wildness“ have to be reeled in. Similar assertions can be said of Burrell’s game (over penetration/over zealousness) and Davis‘s (shot selection). Better control yields more efficiency and better resolve. But Harper’s task isn’t limited to just one player in terms of achieving better control.
Exactly. Which is why Jazz' steadiness, control and good handle seemed such a good match for JH and ZG at shooting guards. Not sure why Horston would want to be a point, except if she just has to have the ball in her hands every second which would be very troubling. Isn't it kind of bball dogma that playing the point inhibits the ability to be a big scorer? The wildness will have to be reigned way, way in to make JH a point guard.

Horston is very welcome to change my mind by making the kind of frosh to soph miracle improvement Jaz made. But judging by last season, a front court of JH, RB, and RD is the early favorite to break all known t.o. records ever recorded.

Reactions: T.J.
Coach I never saw Horston play before she came to UT....

Put on your coaching hat Coach.....How would you reel Burrell and Horston's wildness in...These 2 girls can be so dynamic, and then they can just go bonkers for awhile...

If Kellie is going to be a success here, it may be tied to the success of these two young ladies.
coach_hat_for_sports_teams_customizable_colors-r6dff27f1da0440fb80779410053fe646_eahwi_8byvr_307.jpg

Coach I never saw Horston play before she came to UT....

Put on your coaching hat Coach.....How would you reel Burrell and Horston's wildness in...These 2 girls can be so dynamic, and then they can just go bonkers for awhile...

If Kellie is going to be a success here, it may be tied to the success of these two young ladies.
coach_hat_for_sports_teams_customizable_colors-r6dff27f1da0440fb80779410053fe646_eahwi_8byvr_307.jpg

The right words GT
And I'm not discounting that answer

When I started with Meme in her JR year, the same thing "too wild, uncontrolled" was being said about her. For the two years I mentored that girl, she bloomed, when no one else around her was getting better. This is what Rae needs. She has the tools, but she needs guidance. She needs to hear what to focus on and when to reel it in and she needs to hear it each game.

Horston was already beginning to play more under control, so I am not as worried about her. She seems to be getting good influence. But Rae needs someone to direct her focus and she too will be a top ten player.

I know, I will get a lot of crap for my response here, GT, but I have a thick hide under my thin skin.

The right words GT

When I started with Meme in her JR year, the same thing "too wild, uncontrolled" was being said about her. For the two years I mentored that girl, she bloomed, when no one else around her was getting better. This is what Rae needs. She has the tools, but she needs guidance. She needs to hear what to focus on and when to reel it in and she needs to hear it each game.

Horston was already beginning to play more under control, so I am not as worried about her. She seems to be getting good influence. But Rae needs someone to direct her focus and she too will be a top ten player.

I know, I will get a lot of crap for my response here, GT, but I have a thick hide under my thin skin.
Interesting. I didn’t know that. You really worked with Meme outside of the Tennessee coaching staff? I guess that surprises me that would be allowed. What did you work with her on?

One more question. You said she too would be a top ten player. Who is the other one(s)?

If she had played the position with full effort and drive, JH would have been able to move to a shooter/scorers role instead of having to back her up so much. With hell PG-type of BH responsibilities, JH's turnovers would be less and her assists wouldn't be affected.
Her natural position is/was point guard
did you ever see her play the point for the USA team:
Huh? Which one? Jaz caused Horston's turnovers by forcing her to play out of position at PG OR JH natural position is PG? Choose one.
When I started with Meme in her JR year, the same thing "too wild, uncontrolled" was being said about her. For the two years I mentored that girl, she bloomed, when no one else around her was getting better.
MeMe bloomed her last two yrs? Please!!!

More "unbiased", insightful bball analysis can be there tomorrow!

The right words GT

What do you mean direct her focus, and how do you direct it?

Interesting. I didn’t know that. You really worked with Meme outside of the Tennessee coaching staff? I guess that surprises me that would be allowed. What did you work with her on?

One more question. You said she too would be a top ten player. Who is the other one(s)?

I am not official UT staff so I can work with any athlete that wants to work with me. It is the athletes choice as to who their influences are outside of the university. No rules were violated. She could have called upon her HS, AAU coach or whomever she wanted to.

Several on this team have potential to be top tenners Rae, TK, Rennia, Jordan, are just a few of the possibilities

Huh? Which one? Jaz caused Horston's turnovers by forcing her to play out of position at PG OR JH natural position is PG? Choose one.

MeMe bloomed her last two yrs? Please!!!

More "unbiased", insightful bball analysis can be there tomorrow!

she was the last one cut with the Atlanta Dream...nuff said

She went from being a role player to being the last one introduced...this is usually a spot for the leader

I’m sad to hear she’s leaving. She had improved! Who knows if there will be a season next year?

What do you mean direct her focus, and how do you direct it?

Wirth Meme I had to get her to expand her focus to playing the entire game,,,not just being a defensive stopper. Filling the stat line, not just one part of it.

And I got on her when she played out of control.

Some athletes you push, some you reel in and some you guide...some you do all 3

Reactions: GameTime
she was the last one cut with the Atlanta Dream...nuff said

She went from being a role player to being the last one introduced...this is usually a spot for the leader
LOL OK, I guess that works well with parents: Hey I can make your kid the last one cut, even improve their position in introductions! Such stunning success.

And it was a serious question about JH natural position; your contradiction reflects how alot of people feel about her. Seems to me she is a 2 guard who sees herself as a PG. It does appear both positions are hers for the taking though, if she sees herself as a PG I'm sure that's what we will see. But this year, she'll have to own her own t.o.s in either position.

Reactions: olddog and T_Vol376

VN Store

Back