Looking to next year...

Mock Draft: Top prospects starring in CWS

Latest MLB mock draft, House going #8 but no burns/Moore/spikes in round 1. Hope we keep Burns and at least one of Moore and spikes.

Assuming Luc/Ferguson/Spence/Rucker/Pav are gone thatd leave you with

C: KY guy
1B: Dooney/steenstra
2B: Chambers
SS: Spikes
3B: Moore? Or possible bama transfer
RF: Beck
CF: gilbert
LF: Booker
DH: Steenstra/Dooney

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
Mock Draft: Top prospects starring in CWS

Latest MLB mock draft, House going #8 but no burns/Moore/spikes in round 1. Hope we keep Burns and at least one of Moore and spikes.

Assuming Luc/Ferguson/Spence/Rucker/Pav are gone thatd leave you with

C: KY guy
1B: Dooney/steenstra
2B: Chambers
SS: Spikes
3B: Moore? Or possible bama transfer
RF: Beck
CF: gilbert
LF: Booker
DH: Steenstra/Dooney

The media has said we will lose a lot, but I LOVE that lineup already. We need to get Moore and Spikes on campus, which are both looking good. That will give us really solid depth. In terms of pitching we have Tidwell, Halvorsen, Sewell, Connell, McLaughlin and Rackers. We need Cherry and Newman on campus to shore up the depth there. I think those are safe bets. Potentially we could have Leath back and Chase Burns may get to campus. If both come back, we're loaded. If one comes, we're in really good shape. If we miss on both I still think we're good, but may need to dig deeper for a spot or two and get lucky.

Not a bad stab, the wildcard is going to be transfers possibly coming in. Leath is probably 50-50 at beast .
There weakest position on the team this year was behind the plate. we gave up too many runs from that position with throwing errors, pass balls, and poor defensive play down the third base line near home plate. I think those problems can be solved with coaching and maturity. However, his arm strength needs to improve to be able to throw out attempted steals from first base. I think our pitching will be better and we should be able to recruit some really good players who will help as Freshmen.

The media has said we will lose a lot, but I LOVE that lineup already. We need to get Moore and Spikes on campus, which are both looking good. That will give us really solid depth. In terms of pitching we have Tidwell, Halvorsen, Sewell, Connell, McLaughlin and Rackers. We need Cherry and Newman on campus to shore up the depth there. I think those are safe bets. Potentially we could have Leath back and Chase Burns may get to campus. If both come back, we're loaded. If one comes, we're in really good shape. If we miss on both I still think we're good, but may need to dig deeper for a spot or two and get lucky.

Folks keep sleeping on Ben Joyce. He was getting rave reviews before he was hurt.

A friend of mine covers a JUCO team and said that the JUCO SS committed to us is legit. Hit a grand slam and a 3 run homer in a single game against the team he covers. Not sure who he was referring to though. Dayton Dooney seems to be pretty high on the JUCO rankings. Hitting .376 at Central Arizona

One other guy I don’t think has been mentioned is SS Seth Stephenson at Temple College. He had a good year at Juco.

.383 9 hrs 47 rbi

There weakest position on the team this year was behind the plate. we gave up too many runs from that position with throwing errors, pass balls, and poor defensive play down the third base line near home plate. I think those problems can be solved with coaching and maturity. However, his arm strength needs to improve to be able to throw out attempted steals from first base. I think our pitching will be better and we should be able to recruit some really good players who will help as Freshmen.
While I loved the moments they provided we will upgrade massively from Russell, Lipscius and Pav for next year.

They were too inconsistent at the plate.

While I loved the moments they provided we will upgrade massively from Russell, Lipscius and Pav for next year.

They were too inconsistent at the plate.
Unless they come from the portal, I do not see a massive improvement from those 3 positions. I believe they also provided a lot of leadership that not be instantly replaced.

Here’s a stab at a lineup/rotation. Those who know more than me can correct me. This is best case scenario with Burns, Spikes, and Moore coming to Knoxville (House isn’t coming regardless) and Leath coming back. I know Russell said he might think about it, so if he does, pencil him in too.

Lineup

Kyle Booker-LF
Ryan Spikes-SS
Logan Chambers-2B
Drew Gilbert-CF
Jordan Beck-RF
Logan Steenstra-1B
Christian Moore-3B
Jorel Ortega-DH
Connor Pavolony-C

Weekend Starters:

Blade Tidwell-RHP
Jackson Leath-RHP
Chase Burns-RHP

Midweek/Middle Relief:

Camden Sewell-RHP
Ben Joyce-RHP
Kirby Connell-LHP
Seth Halvorsen-RHP

Closer:
Mark McLaughlin-RHP

One lefty isn't good.

I think it would benefit Ferguson to stay for his senior year. He has been good for us, but nothing earth shattering that's going to get him bigger money. He stays for next year when there's a lot of focus on the Vols and he may be looking at a first or second round spot in 2022.

Reactions: whitw
I think it would benefit Ferguson to stay for his senior year. He has been good for us, but nothing earth shattering that's going to get him bigger money. He stays for next year when there's a lot of focus on the Vols and he may be looking at a first or second round spot in 2022.

Question for him and all of them thinking about the draft now but who have eligibility left is: Will my draft status improve enough over the next year enough to make it worth coming back? For those with a high talent ceiling like Max, and who haven't really shone brightly yet, the answer might very well be yes.

No way. You lose a lot of leverage playing as a senior. He projects as a top 3-5 rounder. Time to move on.

What happened to Charez Butcher? I haven’t heard a peep about him since the fall. Baseball info is scarce, so maybe I missed something — but I assumed he would be a weekend started in ‘22.
Question for him and all of them thinking about the draft now but who have eligibility left is: Will my draft status improve enough over the next year enough to make it worth coming back? For those with a high talent ceiling like Max, and who haven't really shone brightly yet, the answer might very well be yes.

It’s not quite as simple as that though. MLB teams don’t have set amounts they have to pay each pick, there are for lack of a better term suggested payouts for each slot but the teams can go above or below in order to sign guys.

So the problem with someone like Ferguson coming back is when he goes to the draft next year, the MLB team can way underpay on his offer because he has no option to go back to school anymore. If they were to low ball him this year for instance he could say “that’s not enough I’m going back” but you lose that if you come back for senior year

Reactions: TheMookieMonster

Exactly. He's very talented--much more than his numbers suggest imo. If he gives it one more season for his production to reach what he's capable of, I think he shoots up draft boards. But hey, maybe he just wants nothing but to play pro ball and wants to get it started, regardless of where he's drafted.

VN Store

Back