Looking more and more like DeBord will be the new OC

If it was me doing the hiring, I would have full court pressed Cumbie, Sanford, Helton et al...in that order. After I finish that hire, I don't have to interact and teach my ways of coaching and don't have to learn what the new hire is best at teaching...I don't have to have faith in him and most importantly, my job's not at stake!

I completely agree with you and with your order!

Excited to get this top 5 recruiting class in the books and get final confirmation.

Yes, Butch Jones is noted for his massive ego and chronic insecurity. So insecure, in fact, that he repeatedly uses the word "infallible" to describe the system that has done nothing but win games at every place he's been.

All he wants to do is hire a guy who will run the damn offense the way he wants him to.

Why is this all of a sudden too much to ask? Saban has been doing it for years.

Hardly. Saban gives his coordinators the freedom to make decisions for the respective side of the ball they coach. Granted, he may have some input on what he would like to see or implement, but that doesn't mean he hires someone to body double as himself to run either side of the ball. If that were the case, Kiffin would never have been allowed to run the type of offense he ran this year.

So to say that DeBord will just come in and run the offense the way Butch wants him to, without EVER running any type of spread offense, is ridiculous. If that is the case, then why even hire an OC? Butch could just call the plays himself.

Reactions: 1 person
Hardly. Saban gives his coordinators the freedom to make decisions for the respective side of the ball they coach. Granted, he may have some input on what he would like to see or implement, but that doesn't mean he hires someone to body double as himself to run either side of the ball. If that were the case, Kiffin would never have been allowed to run the type of offense he ran this year.

So to say that DeBord will just come in and run the offense the way Butch wants him to, without EVER running any type of spread offense, is ridiculous. If that is the case, then why even hire an OC? Butch could just call the plays himself.

Saban is a defense guy. And yes, they run Sabans defense.

OCs do more than just call plays.

Saban is a defense guy. And yes, they run Sabans defense.

OCs do more than just call plays.

Yes, and I agree with you. But some on this board treat OC's and DC's as obedient puppies that roll over when told to do so. You don't hire a guy to "just" run your offense or defense. You hire a guy that brings experience and insight and that can add to or enhance your teams performance. I see it as a difficult task for Butch and company to bring in a guy that will have to learn a completely new system. Just my two cents.

Yes, and I agree with you. But some on this board treat OC's and DC's as obedient puppies that roll over when told to do so. You don't hire a guy to "just" run your offense or defense. You hire a guy that brings experience and insight and that can add to or enhance your teams performance. I see it as a difficult task for Butch and company to bring in a guy that will have to learn a completely new system. Just my two cents.

No problem.
Opinions on Debord don't bother me, I just question and add my 2 cents also.

Speaking of questions, you used Kiffin as an example.
Good hire but every offensive player learned a new system, seems like one coach could ....
(*If thats how it would work).

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back