Looking like KJH is the play

Here are the names most are listing at this time. Kellie Harper, Melanie Balcomb, Mark Campbell, Niele Ivey and Carolyn Peck. Kara Lawson listed as not interested. Out of contention or not interested Jeff Walz and Wes Moore.

Reactions: Nute Gunray
Here are the names most are listing at this time. Kellie Harper, Melanie Balcomb, Mark Campbell, Niele Ivey and Carolyn Peck. Kara Lawson listed as not interested. Out of contention or not interested Jeff Walz and Wes Moore.

Don’t forget Scott Rueck who also said he was happy at Oregon St.

I haven't seen him on any list of interviewing coaches but hope he is on there really like the guy.

I meant WAS happy at ... a lot of people have been suggesting him because he was one of the top
pac -12 but he put it out there he wasn’t interested in moving.

I know Holly had to go because she lost the team, but there’s no way anyone can say KJH is a better coach.

Seems risky to make that hire.
I'll say she is a better coach than Holly she has done what she has done without one five star player much less a roster full of McDonalds All Americans. I doubt Holly could've won 15 games with Kellie's Missouri State roster this season so yes I will definitely say she is a better coach than Holly. I am sure she is not the best coach we could hire but beating Holly is not difficult.

Lady Vols Opening:
spacer.gif
Phillip Fulmer will be interviewing candidates in Tampa this week. One name you can scratch off the list is Jeff Walz. Sure, Walz campaigned for the job but as I wrote here in the past couple of weeks, but those that campaign for jobs at Tennessee NEVER get hired. And I mean NEVER. Think about the last candidate to get a job that waged a campaign. As much as I'd like to see him, you can cross Walz off the list.

I expect Tennessee to talk to former Lady Vol Kellie Jolly Harper. She got hot at the right time in making the Sweet 16 at Missouri State. She makes sense. She checks a lot of boxes
. Plus her husband is an assistant which is an arrangement that's worked really well in softball. Hiring Harper would give Phillip Fulmer a cheap alternative to trying to woo a more accomplished coach. Plus Harper would probably relish the opportunity to get back into the big time after failing to move the bar at NC State. To her credit she's owned her failure at State and said she learned a lot from it. I think she has an excellent chance to get the job. Of course watch somebody else floor him in Tampa. As we know around here, you never know.

She doesn't really check many boxes, though. The only box she checks that's getting her consideration is "former player".

Mark Campbell from Oregon? First time I've seen his name listed and not sure how I feel about him.

Confusing to me that people on here assume a coach can not grow, learn and become a very good coach as their career grows w time..

Tennessee shouldn’t be a place where coaches grow, learn, and become a good head coach. You become a good coach at a second tier school...I dunno...Virginia Tech. Tennessee is where you should put it in cruise control.

I’m strongly against hiring KJH, but she’s absolutely a better coach than Holly. I don’t think there’s a coach in the nation that’s worse than Holly.

You want a list?

Karen Aston
Kevin McGuff
Matthew Mitchell
Joanne P. McCallie
Matt Insell

Those are just off the top of my head.

Let's not get carried away. Holly sucks the air out of the building when it comes to coaching in most aspects of the game (motivating players, calling timeouts, X's and O's, making adjustments) but there are definitely head coaches that are worse than she is.

VN Store

Back