Looking like KJH is the play

I think we can assume that multiple candidates are being contacted for interviews. My guess is that each member of the search committee will have their favored candidate(s), and then each one will be given a fair shake before Phil makes his final decision. This could go on for a while, IMO. And really, I don't mind that because I do want him to get a good cross-section of candidates and to take as much time as he needs to decide.

I think we can also assume that the AD has done his best to assure the players that he'll do his best to get them a coach that they'll be excited to play for next year, and to just hold on just a little longer!

It looks like the search may be over. Hope this works out because a couple more years of this mess and the Lady Vol brand is done. If Kelley had not won the 2 games in the NCAA tournament would we still be hiring her. Is this about those 2 games? Or other things? Don’t like Walz, fine. Go get Gail G.

I so hope this leap of faith works out when we had a couple of sure things I do hope I can look back at this ,next year, and laugh at how wrong I was. I really do because to me it was never about the man, the woman, the VFLs, it was about a program I grew up with finding its way back to the top.

Last edited:
I think we can assume that multiple candidates are being contacted for interviews. My guess is that each member of the search committee will have their favored candidate(s), and then each one will be given a fair shake before Phil makes his final decision. This could go on for a while, IMO. And really, I don't mind that because I do want him to get a good cross-section of candidates and to take as much time as he needs to decide.

I think we can also assume that the AD has done his best to assure the players that he'll do his best to get them a coach that they'll be excited to play for next year, and to just hold on just a little longer!
We shouldn't assume this is the final decision by any means, or that Kellie Jolly Harper is even the leading candidate. I am disappointed (though not surprised) that hiring her is at the very least, under serious consideration.

It looks like the search is over. Hope this works out because a couple more years of this mess and the Lady Vol brand is done. If Kelley had not won the 2 games in the NCAA tournament would we still be hiring her. Is this about those 2 games? Or other things? Don’t like Walz, fine. Go get Gail G.

I so hope this leap of faith works out when we had a couple of sure things I do hope I can look back at this ,next year, and laugh at how wrong I was. I really do because to me it was never about the man, the woman, the VFLs, it was about a program I grew up with finding its way again.

Speaking of leaps -it's a pretty long jump between an interview and a contract.

We shouldn't assume this is the final decision by any means, or that Kellie Jolly Harper is even the leading candidate. I am disappointed (though not surprised) that hiring her is at the very least, under serious consideration.

It's the vibe of inevitability that this whole "search" is a sham that has a lot of us a little pissed...

Reactions: cutiepie5
It seems to me that the priority is keeping it in the Vol family at all cost. Not sure I agree with this approach. I much prefer hiring the best coaching candidate available. I hear Kara Lawson being mentioned.. Is she even a coach? This is getting a bit out of hand.

I guess, but this is what so many have been yelling for. Maybe I’m wrong. I’ve not heard of anyone else being contacted.

Well someone like Gail G wouldn’t have to have permission to be contacted because she isn’t in the college ranks.

Remember the sweet 16 and elite 8 will be over after today so some more names may pop up.

Neil Ivy is still playing with ND... and for everyone who is freaking out about Jeff Walz he is going on a week long vacation with his family so that may be a minute too.

I guess we just have to hold on. Also the longer it takes makes me feel more comfortable that due dilegence is being done.

Lol. Ok I’ll come down off the ledge.

Well someone like Gail G wouldn’t have to have permission to be contacted because she isn’t in the college ranks.

Remember the sweet 16 and elite 8 will be over after today so some more names may pop up.

Ivy Neil is still playing with ND... and for everyone who is freaking out about Jeff Walz he is going on a week long vacation with his family so that may be a minute too.

IF they hire KJH expect an exodus of current players. They're not going to stick around and see how she works out. All they're going to see is a 50% win/loss record (considerably worse even than Holly) and the dismal seasons she had at NC State, her only other Power 5 job, before she was fired. We will lose several I believe. Someone like Walz or Goestenkors who has been to the final four and coached high caliber players to success could convince them to stay.

It looks like the search may be over. Hope this works out because a couple more years of this mess and the Lady Vol brand is done. If Kelley had not won the 2 games in the NCAA tournament would we still be hiring her. Is this about those 2 games? Or other things? Don’t like Walz, fine. Go get Gail G.

I so hope this leap of faith works out when we had a couple of sure things I do hope I can look back at this ,next year, and laugh at how wrong I was. I really do because to me it was never about the man, the woman, the VFLs, it was about a program I grew up with finding its way back to the top.

Walz probably turned UT down. He has a great gig in Louisville.

IF they hire KJH expect an exodus of current players. They're not going to stick around and see how she works out. All they're going to see is a 50% win/loss record (considerably worse even than Holly) and the dismal seasons she had at NC State, her only other Power 5 job, before she was fired. We will lose several I believe. Someone like Walz or Goestenkors who has been to the final four and coached high caliber players to success could convince them to stay.
Several will leave anyway.

Lol. Ok I’ll come down off the ledge.

Excellent 😂

I feel like with the right coaching staff a decent coach could become a good coach and a good coach a great one! While I’m waiting on the HC announcement it will be just as big for that person to set the right people in place to make it happen... if Kelly is hired what if she hired Gail G whose teams were offensively gifted and that was before the players really started coming there.

Gail G, Melanie Balcomb, and Reaves. Or get the post coach from Baylor or the person that worked with Big T from Ms St.

A reporter messaged him today as he was getting on a chair lift to go skiiing and he said he had still not been contacted by UTAD. He’s on vacation this week.

QUOTE="Tallman, post: 16642833, member: 31552"]Walz probably turned UT down. He has a great gig in Louisville.[/QUOTE]

Several will leave anyway.

I'm not so certain, if several were going to leave we would have seen them throw their name in the transfer portal already. I suspect we lose maybe 1 or 2 but not a whole bunch. They're waiting to see who their next coach is before they decide and I'm sure Phil made some promises to them, so he better be ready to keep them or we're in trouble next season.

VN Store

Back