Look at us now compared to other programs in the same situation

GBOplayer

I remember during the time that we hired Jeremy Pruitt, that there were several big name candidates that we wanted and Jeremy Pruit at the time seemed like a consolation prize. Let's see how the other big name coaches are doing:

Scott Frost - he started out bad and his program at this point is nowhere close to what they had envisioned
Chip Kelly - his offense it now outdated
Scott Morris - Arkansas still has not won a SEC game

I would say that we made a pretty good decision in who we hired

I remember during the time that we hired Jeremy Pruitt, that there were several big name candidates that we wanted and Jeremy Pruit at the time seemed like a consolation prize. Let's see how the other big name coaches are doing:

Scott Frost - he started out bad and his program at this point is nowhere close to what they had envisioned

Scott Frost is a brilliant young coach who is at the mercy of a program who has a very hard time recruiting top players...They are clearly in the wrong conference as well....Chip Kellys UCLA team has won 3 in a row and the offense rolling like a machine...Scott Morris sucks...Period...Only team on your list we are ahead of at this point is Arkansas...We are about even with Nebraska...UCLA is better than us.

What a moronic post - leaving out Dan Mullen, who has UF in the top 15/National conversation for yet another year. I like what Pruitt has done to improve this year but wow this is a stretch

The bad thing is, I think Mullen was coming to UT if the FL job had not opened up all of a sudden. I am not sure if I am happy or not. I think Mullen is a great coach, anyone who can take Miss St to #1 can't be a lousy coach. But eventually Pruitt and staff may become as good or better. Only time will tell.

UCLA currently has the same record as Tennessee. Their non- conference schedule also had games at Cincinnati, home against San Diego St, and home against Oklahoma. All three of those teams have only lost one game. He's turning it around there.

Frost took over a mess that was Mike Riley left. Riley had no business coaching Nebraska. With that said. They are 4-5. Same record as Tennessee.

Chad Morris took over an even worse program than what Pruitt, Kelly, and Frost took over.

You know I'm really beginning to wonder how much some of you in this group really follow college football outside of our Vols.

What a moronic post - leaving out Dan Mullen, who has UF in the top 15/National conversation for yet another year. I like what Pruitt has done to improve this year but wow this is a stretch

Man, we are some salty dogs today. Not sure how OP is moronic as he stated his opinion and actually put examples out there unlike most posters. But in regards to UF, that cupboard was pretty full (minus a QB) when Mullen took over. Not to take away from him by any means because I do think he is a good coach, but the situations are no where near the same in regards to roster with UF vs all the teams mentioned by OP........including us. But I see Nebraska, UCLA, and Tennessee being on par with each other at this point in the season.

I didnt want either of the Scotts but I thought Kelly would be a home-run. I still think Kelly is good. And I think Frost may turn Nebraska around. But he certainly hasn't lived up to the hype thus far. I think it was foolish for FSU to fire Taggart after a season and a half. They still owe him 15-20 mil and they have to start all over. I think you should give a guy 3-4 years unless there is something going on that isnt football-field related - something illegal or unethical. Then you fire for cause and you dont owe 20 mil.

But I agree with the overall point. I think CJP is every bit as good as the Scotts and may end up being better the Kelly.

I agree with you, However, we thought we had better talent than what we actually had. Add to it, if we did have the talent it was never developed before Pruitt + Staff got here.
Butch Jones was smoke and mirrors
Does Pruitt with this Staff have Florida in the position they are in at this point, Probably not?
Based on what he inherited Pruitt is in good stead when comparing him to Frost, Kelly & Morris.
Differences in the talent level/seasoned coaching Experience and schemes make a Mullen vs Pruitt Comparision skewed.

Reactions: Vol524 and Bret178
I didnt want either of the Scotts but I thought Kelly would be a home-run. I still think Kelly is good. And I think Frost may turn Nebraska around. But he certainly hasn't lived up to the hype thus far. I think it was foolish for FSU to fire Taggart after a season and a half. They still owe him 15-20 mil and they have to start all over. I think you should give a guy 3-4 years unless there is something going on that isnt football-field related - something illegal or unethical. Then you fire for cause and you dont owe 20 mil.

I live down here in central florida so outside of the melting pot of transplants that already have life long teams, its 1/2 gators and 1/2 Seminole fans. And I watch a lot of games with my seminole friends as we have the "your enemy, is my enemy, and the cricket chirps in the night and we all hate Florida and their fans" mantra thing going on. There was so much noise to get rid of Taggart that I think the AD/Boosters had a knee jerk reaction. Rumor is they even "took up a collection" amongst boosters, just to buy him out. I've told my seminole neighbors numerous times that they are falling into the pit that Tennessee did if they start doing bargain hires and quick turnarounds with coaches. Florida state needs to pump out the money for this next hire and make it a homerun before they fall in the abyss and their 4th or 5th coach is also their 4th or 5th selection.

Add Willie Taggart who was just fired by FSU after a year and a half.

Man, we are some salty dogs today. Not sure how OP is moronic as he stated his opinion and actually put examples out there unlike most posters. But in regards to UF, that cupboard was pretty full (minus a QB) when Mullen took over. Not to take away from him by any means because I do think he is a good coach, but the situations are no where near the same in regards to roster with UF vs all the teams mentioned by OP........including us. But I see Nebraska, UCLA, and Tennessee being on par with each other at this point in the season.
An opinion is “I like Vanilla better than chocolate.”
It is WAY too early to say who is better since all the programs still have losing records. Plus, as pointed out, it was a selective list.
It ignores Mullen, Norville, Matt Campbell and others that are doing quite well.

But Florida was not scraping the bottom of the barrel with talent and coaching hen he was hired there.

Tennessee's situation is better than South Carolina's with Will Muschamp

VN Store

Back