Long time Fan Fed up with it.

Wasn't saying I wanted or ever wanted Chip Kelly just highlighting the fact he has had Oregon in the National Conversation in the last decade. When I talk about throwing money into a program it goes far beyond paying the head coach's salary. Recruiting, facilities, strength and conditioning, and top salary for assistants as well. Also, how many buyouts has TN had? We pay more for bad coaches in the long run than investing in a solid and proven coach. Also, let's talk about the elephant in the room, the SEC. It is far easier to recruit to the SEC than the PAC-12. Some of your best college athletes come out of the South, FL, and GA more specifically. We can also ask the same questions of our previous coaches, where are they now? Dooley isn't a head coach and Butch is an assistant. Kiffen just got back into the Power Five and regardless of their record, he has that offense humming. I am not a "what might have been" type of guy but pointing out that what the OP implies isn't necessarily true, which is that the big-name coaches we wanted, suck.
He was a “proven” HC is what I’m saying. What I said THEN was that he would end up in the PAC 12 because he’s not a recruiter...SEC level or at all. Now he’s not even recruiting adequately for the west coast. He’s in a state loaded with talent. His “type of player” is in abundance. A “proven” name in past searches is Bobby Petrino fwiw. My main contention is that Bob Stoops and Lincoln Riley were UNPROVENS that worked out great for OU...why is that an open and shut case for our hirings?

When your winning you have bandwagon fans. When losing you have the "I've been a fan for years, BUT......" Gotta love sports!

Kiffin was 7-6 with very bad losses to UCLA and Ole Miss. His poor coaching decisions at the end of the Bama game cost UT a chance for victory, settling for FG attempt rather than pursuing a TD or closer attempt. His moral victory coaching was obvious in the Florida game where the game plan was to beat the spread rather than attempt to win. And that is the best that you can say about Kiffin.

Off the field were the lies about firing employees, wrecked and abandoned cars on Northshore, mystery apartments, sending coeds to entertain recruit prospects in hotel rooms, knowingly and willfully committing NCAA violations, and God only knows what else. The fascination with such a mediocre coach who has crapped out of every golden opportunity handed to him is baffling to me.

Don't get the idea that I was or am a Kiffin fan. To be honest, I thought he was a punk. I'm just saying, between he and his staff, they coached the team well and fixed things.

If you noticed a player out of position one week and getting burned on defense or missing blocks on offense, it got fixed. Crompton who had been a total failure under Fulmer made it to the NFL. I didn't say he was Peyton, but compared to JG, he sure looked like Peyton.

That's what you expect a coach to do. Dooley in his first year lost 2 games because we had 12 men on the field. 1 is understandable. Following that, the coach should have had 10 people if that's what it took on the sidelines charged with counting bodies on the field. It should not have happened again.

That's what coaches are expected to do. See faults and correct them. Improve the team. Improve performance. It's hard to stomach this treading water we are doing, not improving, getting embarrassed by inferior teams.

When your winning you have bandwagon fans. When losing you have the "I've been a fan for years, BUT......" Gotta love sports!

Dumbest post of this whole thread. Anyone who has been a Vols fan over the past 12-13 years cannot be accused of being a bandwagon or fair weather fan (plus, I survived the late Battle and early Majors years) No one has quit being a fan but all of you need to realize the administration quit worrying about our football program 15 years ago. We can be fans but don't expect to return to the success of the 90s anytime soon. But, keep sending those donations.

Also, I'm not for firing Pruitt. He could be a good coach but it's a shame that we paid him so much to make his rookie coaching mistakes over the past 3 years. Just like Kiffin, we paid him to learn how to be a good coach before he left (glad he left). When the Vols decide to make another coaching change, they will still go for the "unknown diamond in the rough" and we'll be right back to square one......again.

No, there is a point, but it is clearly over your head. Bless you, sir. Have a better day.

To state that your point was over my head, or anyone's head for that matter, is laughable since you so eloquently stated YOUR POINT in a subsequent post where you wrote that "your original point to the OP was I still don't think it's all doom and gloom".

However, based on the 16 replies to your original post which read 'If we hadn't turned the ball over 7 times in the last 6 quarters, everyone would be riding high on the Vols right now" and 80 likes of those 16 replies that were mostly critical of or that made fun of your post, I'd suggest that YOUR POINT was lost.

Many on here have no desire to play PRETEND or WHAT IF and choose instead to face reality which in this case is that the Vols are playing poorly and that we hoped for and expected better by year 3 of the CJP regime.

Now, you have a better day too.

I've been watching, listening to, going to, and singing Rocky Top for a long time. Since Bill Battle was the coach. The last 15 years have been miserable and they aren't getting any better.

You know, I really didn't like Kiffin's attitude, his mannerisms, his ways. BUT, he and his crew could coach players. If you saw something going on in one game like arm tackles, it was fixed by the next week. He and his crew took Crompton and put him in the NFL.

Since Kiffin left Tennessee has had the most inept string of coaching staffs I have seen there in my lifetime. They can't seem to take good players and make them better. They can't seem to take mediocre players and make them good players. We are stuck year in and year out with a team that never gets any better, doesn't improve, a program that doesn't improve, just one that sometimes pulls a rabbit out of it's hat and wins one but then turns around and disappoints.

Watching the South Carolina game, it was pretty obvious our team wasn't ready to play in the SEC. Somehow, I'm not sure how, we won that game, But, our team wasn't on it's game. They did look a little better against Missouri and the first half of the Georgia game wasn't bad. Since halftime of the Georgia Game, Tennessee hasn't played a lick. Yeah, they scored 1 TD against Kentucky. Big dang whoopie.

Other schools get new coaches and they get name brand coaches, and they improve quickly and over time. Us, we get coaches that haven't been heard of yet and we do not improve. We get the "We'll have to go back and look at the tape" from the coach in the post game interview after the loss. Most of us are probably sitting there thinking, Tape Hell. Did you not see the 2 pick 6's and the fumble? In the Georgia game we turned the ball over 4 times out of 5 possessions in the 3rd quarter. That will do any football team in playing in the SEC.

We have had the same quarterback 5 years now. When does it become obvious we need a better player? Carson Newman probably has better.
How long do the powers that be expect the fans to stick with this crap show? Honestly, at this point, I'd just assume they COVID cancel the season so I don't waste time watching a game. I can remember beating Alabama at least every few years. Now, we have as much chance beating them as the Libertarian Party Candidate has of winning the Presidential race. We have become Vandy. The Doormats of the Conference. Why? I'm not sure why, but that's where UT is and has been over a decade now.
Other than that, how was the play, Mrs Lincoln?

To state that your point was over my head, or anyone's head for that matter, is laughable since you so eloquently stated YOUR POINT in a subsequent post where you wrote that "your original point to the OP was I still don't think it's all doom and gloom".

However, based on the 16 replies to your original post which read 'If we hadn't turned the ball over 7 times in the last 6 quarters, everyone would be riding high on the Vols right now" and 80 likes of those 16 replies that were mostly critical of or that made fun of your post, I'd suggest that YOUR POINT was lost.

Many on here have no desire to play PRETEND or WHAT IF and choose instead to face reality which in this case is that the Vols are playing poorly and that we hoped for and expected better by year 3 of the CJP regime.

Now, you have a better day too.

16 replies? Damn, I feel like a regular volnation celebrity. Thanks for counting them for me. Take the rest of the day for yourself. :)

VN Store

Back