Lets face reality now while we're sober

Umass is terrible. They only scored one touchdown last year so the 52-7 blowout is meaningless.

I had to look this up because it was hard to believe. So UMASS only played 4 games in 2020. They scored one touchdown against Marshall in a blowout loss. They were shutout in blowout losses to Georgia Southern and Liberty. They managed a safety against FAU in a 24 - 2 loss.

They were probably equally as bad as Bowling Green so that's not saying much.

I just don't know what we can say about UGA yet. They didn't give up and offensive touchdown to Clemson and they didn't score a touchdown either.

I think both defenses were elite, but Clemson has a new QB. Is this the guy that backed up Trevor Lawrence last year? I was not impressed with him. Even the annoucers said they were surprised their were no designed runs. Clemson had a 1st down at the 5 yard line and elected to throw for 3 incompletions.

If not for the good pick 6, that was a 3 - 3 overtime game. I doubt both defenses are that good.

What I saw this weekend was that every team we play except for Vandy had better QB play— even UK and USC… right now, I’m projecting 4-8, unless things change with our QB situation.
Your comment about QB play is spot on. As one of the commenters on this thread pointed out, Week 1 games are a single data point, but of the 9 SEC QBs for whom ESPN listed QB ratings after Saturday's games, Milton of Tennessee had the lowest - 31.4. The highest QB rating went to Nix of Auburn, 96.6, with Young of course second - 94.2. Levis of KY and Noland of USCe had ratings of 82.9 and 64.9, respectively.
What is most concerning is that, given Heupel's track record, you would expect that the one player he could choose with unerring accuracy would be the best to start at QB. If Milton is the best of the 3 QBs UT has on hand (I for one do not think so), a 4-8 record this year sounds about right.
Compounding the problem is that we Vol fans just went through 2 years of the Pruitt/Guarantano QB drama. The last thing our new HC needs is a QB controversy. If we lose the Pitt game with Milton still at QB, and fans perceive that his play cost us the game, Heupel will definitely be off on the wrong foot at UT.

It's really hard to tell with them playing UMass. Their QB looked a lot crisper than Milton, but our secondary is much better than that of UMass. I think the key will be us getting pressure in the backfield. If we can do this we win by 10.
Both teams looked slow to me

Here’s the truth, most teams are going to look different in week 2. That’s the first true litmus test. These teams that were heavily favored had extremely limited playbooks and play base defenses without wrinkles.

We ran literally zero RB screens, wheel routes, run routes, pick routes, etc

Pitt is a decent team. We’ve lost a lot. Sooner ppl realize that game could be a loss the better. There will be ppl calling for Heupel’s job if we lose that game.

I just don't know what we can say about UGA yet. They didn't give up and offensive touchdown to Clemson and they didn't score a touchdown either.

I think both defenses were elite, but Clemson has a new QB. Is this the guy that backed up Trevor Lawrence last year? I was not impressed with him. Even the annoucers said they were surprised their were no designed runs. Clemson had a 1st down at the 5 yard line and elected to throw for 3 incompletions.

If not for the good pick 6, that was a 3 - 3 overtime game. I doubt both defenses are that good.

Did you watch the game? We knelt at their 15 with plenty of time left to score. Do you really doubt that both defenses are that good?

Take off those orange sunglasses, drop that orange shirt on the floor and put that cigar back in the box. THERE IS NO WAY WE BEAT GEORGIA OR ALABAMA. I wish we could but the best we can expect is trying to stay competitive with them. Georgia and Alabama will play for the conference title.

We're better than Miami of Ohio?? OR ??
You honestly think that was the 14th best team in the country??

Well let me tell me you about the 10th ranked team in the country in UNC Tarheels...🙄

Pitt is a decent team. We’ve lost a lot. Sooner ppl realize that game could be a loss the better. There will be ppl calling for Heupel’s job if we lose that game.
There is literally ONE dude that held this team back for the most part last Saturday.
Vanilla offense and all...

Y'all just want us to be bad because it's what you've become used too.

I said Joe Milton would be the starter 5 weeks ago.

Wtf you talking about?
Your expert eye evaluated this roster talent and came up with 10-2.
Your expert eye saw Miami play bama and UT play BG and came up with the realization that UT is better.

Hope I'm wrong, but if we don't improve during practice this week, I think Pitt stands a good chance of beating us.

TN is not better than Miami this year. We do not have a WR that would start at Clemson. GA defense might be the best they’ve ever had. TN is going to struggle against Pitt. It greatly pains me to say all of those statements but it’s the truth.
Why are they not better?

Your expert eye evaluated this roster talent snd came up with 10-2
We're 1-0...
What do you want me to do about that?

Mizzou is so awesome?
Vandy is so awesome??

Come with it!

I'm wrong on which predictions so far??

There is literally ONE dude that held this team back for the most part last Saturday.
Vanilla offense and all...

Y'all just want us to be bad because it's what you've become used too.
😂 Want is to be bad? Ok.

I can assure nothing would please me more than Milton serving up a huge plate of crow for his critics, myself included. I’m closing in on 50 yo and I would be fine for the team I’ve supported my whole life not sucking anymore.

All I know is I hope Heupel is coaching these guys to have a winner’s mentality. To play with a huge chip on their shoulders. To play like they belong. To play with an edge. To play like the Bruins did against LSU. Tulane bs Oklahoma. Because if this staff is coaching them like “REALISTS” then this team and program is dead.

This is the difference between coaching the team to fight with guts/determination to compete for 60 full minutes vs giving up after the 1st quarter.
And this is why I'm still optimistic.
EVERY facet of our team looks improved right now, except QB.
Which IS his specialty, so you have to think he will figure that out.

Our defense and run game will help us compete every game. Need the passing game to become what it is supposed to be.

LV I do agree we look “better” more disciplined. I don’t think it’s heupel’s fault or something he can fix overnight. It’s going to take some time. Wasn’t just Milton either, WRs have to catch the ball when it’s a decent pass.

😂 Want is to be bad? Ok.

I can assure nothing would please me more than Milton serving up a huge plate of crow for his critics, myself included. I’m closing in on 50 yo and I would be fine for the team I’ve supported my whole life not sucking anymore.
I'm his biggest critic right now.
I want Bailey to get his shot!!

Doesn't mean that i can't see the improvement everywhere else.

YES there are some miserable dudes on here that just want Tennessee to stay bad, because they are negative piles of you know what....

Did you watch the game? We knelt at their 15 with plenty of time left to score. Do you really doubt that both defenses are that good?

Just because you kneeled at their 15 year line doesn't mean it was a long drive. Without seeing Clemson's series before I'm guessing they went for it on 4th down and didn't convert. Yes I really doubt both defenses are that good. If so, UGA should have no problems keeping opponents scoreless this year.

We're 1-0...
What do you want me to do about that?

Mizzou is so awesome?
Vandy is so awesome??

Come with it!

I'm wrong on which predictions so far??
So far? Just the overstatement of the team talent and I don’t care to dig up your posts but were you not high on Milton after your careful film review of him??

This cracks me up. Some of you are acting like UGA played some lower ranked scrub team. They played the #3 team in the nation. You think we have a better defense than Clemson? Get real. UGAs offense will likely end up as one of the best in the SEC.
Actually I think Clemson take another loss or two this season. They don’t look to be as good as years past. Especially on offense. Yeah there defense is pretty good but I do also think that maybe UGA offense isnt as good as it was projected to be. We will see over the next couple weeks. Georgia defense was hungry last night but I still think for both teams we have a lot to see. This also doesn’t imply that Tennessee is the same caliber team as either one of those teams. They play the games for a reason. I do feel like if we are able to get the offense rolling in a way that meets most of our expectation, we will feel a lot more comfortable going into the Florida and Georgia games. That’s the one thing about this offense. If it ever starts clicking on all cylinders, we can score with anybody. If you don’t believe me, just look at Ole Miss. Like I said, I’m not implying that we are in the same realm with Georgia and Florida talent wise but with the right coaching and discipline, we do have a chance.

VN Store

Back