Let us consider what KJH might be doing

Same Ole same Ole. She doesn't teach Offense she doesn't hold players accountable and obviously defense is not a priority. Need someone not coddled by the lady vol mafia. Go out and pay for a winner coach

Reactions: ConvertVol
I hate to respond this diatribe but I can't help myself. As for the "Cinderella run without anything impressive to get there" (so I guess it wasn't a Cinderella run after all), the LVs suffered injuries to four key players: Marta Suarez out for the season; Keyen Green lost for most of the season; Jordan Horston lost for the last 3rd of the season (and all tournament action) and Rae Burrell who did come back after missing numerous games but who was a shell of her pre-injury self. Getting that injury-riddled team, that was relying heavily freshman, to the Sweet 16 was helluva of a coaching job.
Follow the conversation if you need to respond. You referenced the wrong team and tourney run. The discussion at that point was not about her time at Tennessee. Nice try, though.

Holly was an All American for the Lady Vols and a loyal and a great assistant to Pat for 30 years. She probably would have been happy serving as assistant head coach with Pat for the rest of her career but fate intervened. She gave her all to being the head coach and it didn’t work out. It is tough to follow a legend. She deserves our appreciation for all the many great things she did for the Lady Vols. As far as the unsuccessful stint as head coach goes I’m sure it bothers her as much or more than any poster on here and does NOT diminish all the other great things she has done as a LVFL. Your rude and disrespectful description of her as the “biggest idiot” says infinitely more about you than her.
Nothing you said about her is untrue. She was also an atrocious head basketball coach and it had nothing to do with following a legend. She was a disaster and completely lost. All of this can be true at the same time.

After 13 years of head coaching, Dawn Staley had never outright won her conference and had only once taken a team as far as the SS. That was after eight years of Temple and five seasons at SC. Was she defined at that point?
Dawn Staley tied for first in her conference three out of her first five seasons and four of her first eight. She never finished below third. Temple's performance prior to her was abysmal. Your argument is so far off the track. It actually proves what I said about Kelly. Also, every coach following Kelly improved that team's performance. Temple's has been inconsistent but better than their historical record prior to Staley since she departed. She was that program's foundation.

Reactions: shiverz
A lot of us have been bewildered as to what KJH is doing with the Lady Vols. She has a load of talent that has the potential to be a very good team. Let's say that she is more concerned about coming up with combinations which will produce more victories, in the long run, and put the team in better position to make a final four run. Maybe she is more concerned with final outcome than early season rankings. In reality, these early rankings are not that important except for us fans. She just might be trying to see what the team looks like in early competition with the desire to come up with a core group and a secondary group that will not be a serious drop off from her core group. I am going to tell myself to be patient and wait a few more games and see the direction the team is headed and try not to jump to conclusions.

Definitely got some film that the players can’t deny. Like you I’m hoping for long range results.

Reactions: callingallvols
She's coaching for a season and not one game with respect to her decisions (substitutions/time outs). If she wants to season the team by letting them play through adversity in a meaningless game, she should have the right to do so without this forum going through a meltdown. I believe she has confidence in her team and it's leaders. They may not always dominate but they will go into battle knowing Kellie has their back. Thats invaluable to the players and real coaches will know that.
I love the Lady Vols and have watched them for many years. I have confidence in Kellie. However, the last two games and the shoddy play is strictly on the girls. With exception of RJ most of them have looked lost in their play.

Dawn Staley tied for first in her conference three out of her first five seasons and four of her first eight. She never finished below third. Temple's performance prior to her was abysmal. Your argument is so far off the track. It actually proves what I said about Kelly. Also, every coach following Kelly improved that team's performance. Temple's has been inconsistent but better than their historical record prior to Staley since she departed. She was that program's foundation.
So, your metric for whether a coach is a bad one or not is whether she took a midmajor to ties in the midmajor conference titles, but not what she did in the first five years of her time in the SEC? You are being inconsistent. Why won't you give Kellie 5 years to break through in the SEC and NCAA that Dawn took to do that before concluding that she is a "bad" coach?

Nothing you said about her is untrue. She was also an atrocious head basketball coach and it had nothing to do with following a legend. She was a disaster and completely lost. All of this can be true at the same time.
I did not disagree that she was not a good head coach. Your choice of the phrase “complete idiot” was ten miles outside of out of bounds. How do you throw such vitriol at a true LVFL!

So, your metric for whether a coach is a bad one or not is whether she took a midmajor to ties in the midmajor conference titles, but not what she did in the first five years of her time in the SEC? You are being inconsistent. Why won't you give Kellie 5 years to break through in the SEC and NCAA that Dawn took to do that before concluding that she is a "bad" coach?
Dawn took that job back in 2009, different dynamic to build a team verses now. At what point do fans stop moving the goal post on why she’s not showing signs she’s the right choice? Why does it take 5 years when recruiting in the portal is instant?

A lot of us have been bewildered as to what KJH is doing with the Lady Vols. She has a load of talent that has the potential to be a very good team. Let's say that she is more concerned about coming up with combinations which will produce more victories, in the long run, and put the team in better position to make a final four run. Maybe she is more concerned with final outcome than early season rankings. In reality, these early rankings are not that important except for us fans. She just might be trying to see what the team looks like in early competition with the desire to come up with a core group and a secondary group that will not be a serious drop off from her core group. I am going to tell myself to be patient and wait a few more games and see the direction the team is headed and try not to jump to conclusions.
I agree totally with you. However, the fans have their own expectations. I am glad that she scheduled this game early, teams will not want to face Lady Vols late in the season. Trust me.

Follow the conversation if you need to respond. You referenced the wrong team and tourney run. The discussion at that point was not about her time at Tennessee. Nice try, though.

Your comments have been have been somewhat confusing to follow. You sound like you are talking about Kellie’s record at Missouri State, and then you reference DS’s record at her first place to Coach.

So, this is actually what Kellie did at her first place to Coach, and at Missouri State. I’d say she won some stuff.

At age 26, Kellie began as a Head Coach, at Western Carolina. She is one of only 2 Coaches to take teams from 4 different schools to the NCAA Tournament, obviously an impressive achievement, especially when you consider she had to start new at each school, and 2 of the teams were not from P5 conferences.

So, at her first Head Coaching job, at Western Carolina, this is what she did in her 5 years there:

1st year, won the Southern Conference Tournament Championship and went to the NCAA Tournament.
3rd year, won the conference season, and finished #1 in the Southern Conference.
5th year, won So. Conference Tournament Championship and went to the NCAA Tournament.
Her record in her 5 years there was 5th, 5th, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

At Missouri State, in her 6 years there, she won the Missouri Valley Conference Championship Tournament in her 3rd and 6th years, and took the team to the NCAA Tournament those years, making it to the Sweet Sixteen on the second trip.
In her 6 years there, her teams finished 6th, 3rd, 2nd, 3rd, 2nd, and 2nd.

If you want to compare any Coach’s beginning resume to Kellie’s, it’s of course not apples to apples, but I’d say Kellie’s record stacks up pretty well with anyone’s.

Last edited:
As a h
I did not disagree that she was not a good head coach. Your choice of the phrase “complete idiot” was ten miles outside of out of bounds. How do you throw such vitriol at a true LVFL!
As a head coach, it is beyond accurate and probably generous.

C
Your comments have been have been somewhat confusing to follow. You sound like you are talking about Kellie’s record at Missouri State, and then you reference DS’s record at her first place to Coach.

So, this is actually what Kellie did at her first place to Coach, and at Missouri State. I’d say she won some stuff.

At age 26, Kellie began as a Head Coach, at Western Carolina. She is one of only 2 Coaches to take teams from 4 different schools to the NCAA Tournament, obviously an impressive achievement, especially when you consider she had to start new at each school, and 2 of the teams were not from P5 conferences.

So, at her first Head Coaching job, at Western Carolina, this is what she did in her 5 years there:

1st year, won the Southern Conference Tournament Championship and went to the NCAA Tournament.
3rd year, won the conference season, and finished #1 in the Southern Conference.
5th year, won So. Conference Tournament Championship and went to the NCAA Tournament.
Her record in her 5 years there was 5th, 5th, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

At Missouri State, in her 6 years there, she won the Missouri Valley Conference Championship Tournament in her 3rd and 6th years, and took the team to the NCAA Tournament those years, making it to the Sweet Sixteen in the 6th year.
In her 6 years there, her teams finished 6th, 3rd, 2nd, 3rd, 2nd, and 2nd.

If you want to compare any Coach’s beginning resume to Kellie’s, it’s of course not apples to apples, but I’d say Kellie’s record stacks up pretty well with anyone’s.
Correct. She is a very capable mid- major coach. She is a mediocre to poor large conference/top tier coach. She did not have the resume to obtain this job and she is proving it. She will likely end up back at her appropriate level after another couple of years of mediocrity. She will then do a nice job with lesser athletes and lesser expectations.

C

Correct. She is a very capable mid- major coach. She is a mediocre to poor large conference/top tier coach. She did not have the resume to obtain this job and she is proving it. She will likely end up back at her appropriate level after another couple of years of mediocrity. She will then do a nice job with lesser athletes and lesser expectations.
I don’t bet, but if I did, I would bet your opinion is wrong.

Reactions: PRG and Rickster
C

Really? Tennessee has finished 3rd in her first 3 years in the SEC, and gone to the NCAA Tournament both years it was conducted in that time, making it to the Sweet Sixteen on the second trip. This was accomplished against much adversity which I will not reiterate.

There’s a lot of SEC schools that wish they had a Coach accomplish this in her first 3 years in this conference.

I am very sorry for my error. I had assumed your post was talking about a relevant matter which is Kellie's time here at Tennessee. I should have known better.

I have watched the Lady VOLS for a lot of years and the last 10 years with Holly and KJH have been very frustrating. The lack by of fundamentals leads me to see a definite lack of coaching. Not only do the players not get any better from year to year, the coaching really sucks. The team plays reckless and don’t value the ball at all. The. Post play is absolutely awful. They look like they have no idea how to box out and players have no skills around the basket. There are more issues, but the bottom line is lack of coaching!!!!

Reactions: teacherdean

Your comments are good, but Coach KJH has not addressed "turn overs" and unless something is done it will cost her another important game or so....there were several times last year where the team had turn overs in the 20's.

Reactions: teacherdean
I have watched the Lady VOLS for a lot of years and the last 10 years with Holly and KJH have been very frustrating. The lack by of fundamentals leads me to see a definite lack of coaching. Not only do the players not get any better from year to year, the coaching really sucks. The team plays reckless and don’t value the ball at all. The. Post play is absolutely awful. They look like they have no idea how to box out and players have no skills around the basket. There are more issues, but the bottom line is lack of coaching!!!!

Lumping Holly and Kellie into the same coaching bucket lessens your credibility. Key and Jordan have made significant improvements during their time as LVs. Rae Burrel went from a bull in a china shop as a freshman to a first round pick in the WNBA. Tess Darby massive step forward between her freshman and junior year,.

last year this team was an absolute monster when it came to defense and rebounding (though injuries took things down a notch as the season progressed).

After two games, the people who I suspect have a Jeff Walz obsession are coming out of the woodwork to attack the team which is figuring out to integrate a significant number of players into the team and had to adjust on the fly to an injury to their star, Jordan Horston.

These rants are getting tiresome,

Last edited:

VN Store

Back