Let’s play Nico

We should 1000% be playing him. I’ve said this before but only mistake Josh Heupel has made as head coach of Tennessee IMO is his affinity for Joe Milton. For some reason even as smart as hypo is he can’t realize that just because Milton is tall, athletic, and can throw hard… He’s a terrible quarterback.
It really reminds me of JG. Just about any reasonably intelligent fan and recognized by the second year that Jc was really bad at playing quarterback. At that point Pruitt should have went to someone else. Anyone else. If the first guy doesn’t get the job done… Move on to somebody else. Then somebody else.
I said that to start Heupel’s career and people criticize me on this board for it saying I’m not at practice blah blah. I didn’t need to be at practice. I could tell Milton wasn’t good and knew we had other guys on the roster that could end up being good.
It’s the same thing right now. We are likely only going to get three years out of nico. Why on earth should he sit behind Milton (who has a low ceiling) this year knowing we aren’t going to win the biggest games with him?
If that’s how it plays out… We won’t be a great program this year and next year Nico will be starting from scratch with little to no endgame experience. It just makes no sense.

It never fails to amaze me how many fans that follow the team and have watched college football for years and years still react to every big win like it's 'CFP playoff or bust' and every loss or lackluster performance like yesterday with total panic and asking for drastic moves.

Anyone with a clue to how programs are built and the different teams grow throughout each season understands that any coach who reacts to every bump in the road by making drastic personnel moves is not long for the job. Players see through these kinds of rash decisions, and any trust in that coach erodes more and more. Recruits see this and look to more stable programs to build their futures.

Yesterday was the classic example of a team looking ahead, and should be seen as a gigantic wakeup call, which no doubt is how CJH and his staff will be addressing it this week. We should be happy it occurred in week two in a game we won by three scores instead of a mid season conference game.

I've been a fan since attending UT in the early '80's, and have to say that other than the late Majors and early Fulmer era, this is the first time I've felt the program is really in good hands and headed in the right direction. Instead of reacting to every bump in the road (of which there will be many) by advocating scorched earth moves, why not have a little faith in a coach who has brought the program back to respectability and who we hope will be here a long time?
Thank you! And aren't we still technically rebuilding?

Reactions: sami and PowerT83
We should 1000% be playing him. I’ve said this before but only mistake Josh Heupel has made as head coach of Tennessee IMO is his affinity for Joe Milton. For some reason even as smart as hypo is he can’t realize that just because Milton is tall, athletic, and can throw hard… He’s a terrible quarterback.
It really reminds me of JG. Just about any reasonably intelligent fan and recognized by the second year that Jc was really bad at playing quarterback. At that point Pruitt should have went to someone else. Anyone else. If the first guy doesn’t get the job done… Move on to somebody else. Then somebody else.
I said that to start Heupel’s career and people criticize me on this board for it saying I’m not at practice blah blah. I didn’t need to be at practice. I could tell Milton wasn’t good and knew we had other guys on the roster that could end up being good.
It’s the same thing right now. We are likely only going to get three years out of nico. Why on earth should he sit behind Milton (who has a low ceiling) this year knowing we aren’t going to win the biggest games with him?
If that’s how it plays out… We won’t be a great program this year and next year Nico will be starting from scratch with little to no endgame experience. It just makes no sense.
Don't know why your even a fan.According to your logic need to send Joe and Heupel packing together.

Heupel’s not dumb. Do you not remember how quickly he pulled Milton and replaced with Hooker? He will do the same this year if it needs to happen

Wasn’t my point it was volforlife83 bub
My mistake, just getting tired of all the whining regarding Milton, acting as though there hasn’t been improvement since he got here in 21. There has been, is he perfect no, but it’s what many fans seem to expect. I think it’s due to his God given athletic talent and fans having superhuman expectations of it.

Heupel’s not dumb. Do you not remember how quickly he pulled Milton and replaced with Hooker? He will do the same this year if it needs to happen
But that’s not what happened. Heupel never let another quarterback take a snap in the first 6/4 despite Milton being absolutely horrendous. Hooker came in only because Milton was injured. Everyone immediately recognized hooker was a stud. Everybody misses passes occasionally… But the majority of the fans aren’t dumb. we recognize when a quarterback is abnormally errand with a high percentage of wide open misses.
Even after Hooker came in and lit the world on fire heupel resisted, naming him the starter for the next two or three games as Milton was still hurt.

Despite all that, you are right about one thing… Heupel is an absolute genius offensively. He is the smartest coach we’ve had here in my lifetime. Decisions he makes endgame, his ability to scheme players wide open, the constant aggressiveness, etc..

That’s what makes his affinity for Milton all the more puzzling. It’s almost like he’s to connected to things or some thing and that he can’t see what blatantly obvious to people that don’t know a fraction about the game that he knows. Just about everybody I know was concerned coming into this game because Milton was just really bad previously. And he wasn’t a young player. He was a fourth year player at that time.

I just can’t believe it is once again his team, and no matter how poorly he seems to play nobody else gets a snap. That sends the wrong message to the team. I’m sure he’s telling them at practice if you can’t execute… We will find somebody who can. Heupel will bench a WR in the blink of an eye for dropping a pass. Yet doesn’t take that same stance when it comes to Milton.

Thank you! And aren't we still technically rebuilding?

Exactly. This program is still a couple of recruiting cycles away from building the kind of depth we routinely see at places like UGa, Bama, and OSU, yet some are acting as if anything less than another 10-win season is an utter failure. I only hope we get to the point where ten wins is a down year, but we aren't at that point quite yet.

This thread and the hundreds of others on this same topic are why we can't have nice things. We have too many fans that have to find something to complain about even when we are winning.

Reactions: VolFreakJosh
Yep, drive by fans. He ended up 21 of 32 for 228 yards 2 TDs no interceptions. First quarter was 1 of 7 but 6 drops not perfect throws but if you want to play in NFL and you get 2 hands on the ball no matter if its low or high you are expected to catch it.

This is a great point. Do you think Hyatt and Tillman would have dropped those passes? At some point we need to lay some of the blame on the WR's.

Everybody bashing Joe needs to chill. He’s more than good enough for us to win every game. We have a great defense and great run game. It’s not always about scoring 40 plus every game. The last time we won the natty, we had a worse QB…

The issue was not his completion percentage. The issue was the inability to throw the ball down the field and the threat of being able to sling the ball to all quadrants. You can’t be successful offensively playing within a 5-yard perimeter of the line of scrimmage. If this isn’t corrected, losses will happen.
He had like....2 actually bad throws. 2 more that were somewhat behind, but 100% catchable. 2 or 3 more that were right in the hands. 2 that should have been PI, but not called.

We were't trying to throw the ball downfield Saturday, based on the coverage and situation. I think you're mistaking not choosing to go deep with can't.

Reactions: volfan102455

VN Store

Back