Legit question...why is Sonny Dykes even on “the list?”

From what I have read, we are prepared to offer like 8 million a year for a top coach. Do you really think, Kiffin, or Freeze either one would turn that down. Tom Herman?? Campbell? Bob Stoops. Leach, any of which would be better than the names I've seen. From what I understand, we are paying ad, the second highest pay in the nation, He should be allowed to find the best coach he feels is the best and have the authority to make them the second highest paid coach in the nation if need be.. So with that said, anyone who thinks we cannot get a top of the line coach are being delusional.
But you don’t know how much they have to pay. You’ve just read that figure on message boards. You also have to factor in potential buyouts. And, the target of your search has a say as well. Bob Stoops may not have any interest in coaching again for any amount.

But I would think we would do our own back ground check as well.
Search firms are also used to allow the school and potential candidates to make statements like, “I have not spoken to X school about their job opening” or “We did not interview Coach X for our open position.” These firms are also important in starting to narrow down the potential candidate pool and to expedite the vetting process.

Reactions: Red Forman
Search firms are also used to allow the school and potential candidates to make statements like, “I have not spoken to X school about their job opening” or “We did not interview Coach X for our open position.” These firms are also important in starting to narrow down the potential candidate pool and to expedite the vetting process.

I can understand that, very good points.

IF he somehow ends up being the hire, I can only imagine it’s because his teams put up a lot of points, and White loves a good offensive mind.
That’s all I can come up with for Dykes.

Blows my mind. Do you think other SEC schools even whiffed this guys name when they were searching for a coach? What has this guy done to prove anything? He’s barely above .500 as a head coach....basically worse than Butch Jones.

I just don’t get it. Someone enlighten me please
Why did we hire Derick Dooley?

IF he somehow ends up being the hire, I can only imagine it’s because his teams put up a lot of points, and White loves a good offensive mind.
That’s all I can come up with for Dykes.

To put some spin on it I guess you could say we already have Steele to potentially run the defense, so that shouldn't be a concern.

Why did we hire Derick Dooley?

He was about the only one willing to take a HC at that time of year. He was waaaaaaaay out over his skis but when you're ambitious and young you do stuff like this and fake it 'til you make it.

To the best of my knowledge, White has not released a list. So, why is anyone worried about a list? It is just chatter and no one really knows anything at this time. Relax VolNation take a deep breath, exhale and repeat.

Because search firms do a ton of the background work. ADs aren’t going to automatically know all the background details/closet skeletons on every target.
I think this is exactly right. Search Firms can have broad responsibilities or a very narrow scope of work. We will never know. I am guessing that this search firm was hired solely for vetting purposes as Red Forman stated. I think it is important to remember that we have the best AD in the country. Let me repeat the best in the country. Plus don't forget who Dr. White's dad is. The AD for Duke. Another top AD. I can guarantee you that before White pulls the trigger he will call "Dad" and get "Dad's" opinion. UT is getting two for one on this deal. Two great minds. IMO White will nail this hire. It will be someone completely off of everyone's radar who will be successful here. The hire will likely have a 10 year deal. We will be banned from everything for 2-3 years which will give the new coach time to build a foundation. I think we will see the light at the end of the tunnel here. FINALLY!

Why is he on the list? Have you looked at the last few coaches U.T. has hired? He fits right in.

I think Sonny Dykes being on the list comes down to 2 things...#1 his offenses are very exciting and #2 he'd take the job. #2 is something many people think most coaches would do (not true). With what we have coming down from the NCAA, the last 15 years of ineptness, and the transfer portal looks like a Tennessee 7 on 7 team...we have very slim pickings when it comes to a coach. Let's not burn mattresses or act like children if it happens, last time we did that we ended up with Jeremy Pruitt

Sonny Dykes, former college BASEBALL PLAYER and Son of former Texas Tech football coach "SPIKE DYKES" !! You've got to be S***ing me ?? Good Grief folks !! Give us poor bas****s a break.....

Reactions: Border Vol
I think Sonny Dykes being on the list comes down to 2 things...#1 his offenses are very exciting and #2 he'd take the job. #2 is something many people think most coaches would do (not true). With what we have coming down from the NCAA, the last 15 years of ineptness, and the transfer portal looks like a Tennessee 7 on 7 team...we have very slim pickings when it comes to a coach. Let's not burn mattresses or act like children if it happens, last time we did that we ended up with Jeremy Pruitt
I hope the fans protest at UT and don't go to Tennessee games this fall if that mediocrity is hired.

giphy (23).gif

Reactions: Commish14
Why is Sonny Dykes on the list? To make anyone else that we might actually end up with seem more palatable by comparison.

Correct. That way when they hire Elliott we will say “thankfully it wasn’t Dykes”. Not that I’m totally against the Elliott hire btw.

Sonny Dykes is somewhere between Dooley and Chad Morris. If that's the choice for a placeholder for the next 3 years, make Steele the HC. At least we know Steele can recruit.

Reactions: Border Vol
Blows my mind. Do you think other SEC schools even whiffed this guys name when they were searching for a coach? What has this guy done to prove anything? He’s barely above .500 as a head coach....basically worse than Butch Jones.

He needs a raise and hoping that he can get one by leaking his name or that's atleast how Mike Gundy does it.

Smokesreen

VN Store

Back