LB Aaron Willis Enters Transfer Portal

This is an unbelievable mistake by our staff, make no bones about it. This kid is an absolute beast and in limited time on the field has proven his recruiting ranking to be justified IMO. He has sat behind the most incompetent and cowardly linebacker I’ve ever seen put on a Tennessee. Willis recognizes as much and wants to play. Amd he should be playing on this defense.
8d70058082b902a83c024712b27bd019.gif

Wish the lad well wherever he lands, as long as it is not one of our rivals.

Go Vols!

This is an unbelievable mistake by our staff, make no bones about it. This kid is an absolute beast and in limited time on the field has proven his recruiting ranking to be justified IMO. He has sat behind the most incompetent and cowardly linebacker I’ve ever seen put on a Tennessee. Willis recognizes as much and wants to play. Amd he should be playing on this defense.

Can you explain, "limited time on the field has proven his recruiting ranking to be justified"

???

Reactions: TJSVOLS
Can't be talking about Banks. Every time a guy runs out of bounds, JB drills them. Very consistent!

This is such Volnation bull$hit. Harp on a few mistakes and forget about the great plays a guy makes!

Yeah Banks plays with an edge and did get a few penalties but the guy goes all out and makes a hell of alot more plays than most LBers. Thank God we had him last year and hopes he plays lights out this year.

Can you explain, "limited time on the field has proven his recruiting ranking to be justified"

???

He seems to be really quick for the size and I said several big hits on special teams etc. And really more than anything if you are playing a guy like Aaron Beasley that over and over and over again is getting beat and you have a really talented guy waiting behind him… Why on earth not give him a chance? All position should be contested until there is good production on the field. That was my same argument with Milton versus Bailey or anyone else. Make these kids earn their spot via Saturday performance not Monday walk-through. I feel if given the opportunity out on the field almost any of our reserve linebackers would prove to be better than Beasley. Go back and watch the Kentucky quarterback abuse him all day long if you don’t understand why I detest this guy playing

Have any of you ever heard of him? How many guys like this do we have?
Yeah. He was one of the prize signees a couple years back. He got in trouble early but seemed to finally be getting his footing this spring.

Disappointing that he didn't work out.

A few weeks ago some talked about the need to make room on the roster to take portal transfers. I really didn't expect him to be part of it considering the need at his position... but this is another open spot.

Until some controls are put on portal transfers this is going to be the norm for awhile. You lose some you gain some. You just hope you plus out in the exchange. Everybody wants to play now and if their not then they claim not getting a fair shake, see several posts on page 1, and they leave. Its easy to do now.

Oh you mean like they did with the competition between hooker and Milton? That practice right? Or a different practice? You can say fans are total idiots and have no insight if you want to but all that matters is what happens out on the field. And our defensive coordinator should’ve looked at how poor our play at middle linebacker was and made a change. The obvious change would’ve been a given Willis some actual playing time to assess the difference between the two. But because of seniority, understanding terminologies, and who knows what else… The job was given to Aaron Beasley and no matter how incompetent he was on Saturday it remained his job. It is a flawed by the staff.
Yeah. Exactly like the Hooker Milton battle except that we KNOW that Milton didn't play in games like he did in practice. Every observer was impressed with his arm and downfield accuracy... then he couldn't hit those throws in games. He didn't fail because he didn't know how to run the offense or any of that.

Willis was given opportunities. There is no other position like QB. No one has found a way to truly make a 2 player rotation work much less more. LB isn't like that at all. If you demonstrate in practice that you can line up and make plays then you will get playing time even if you aren't quite as good as the starter. UT DESPERATELY needed warm bodies at LB last year and Willis couldn't earn his way to even get the chance you think he was cheated out of. If he could not handle the mental part then he COULD NOT be put in a game.

And the comparison between Milton and Hooker is incredibly relevant here because that is very much the same. Milton won the job based on what happened in closed limited contact practices and no matter how incompetent he was they didn’t give anyone else game reps.
Well, no. You are 100% wrong. They are not at all the same. As mentioned above, you have one QB. Ideally you play 3 deep at LB if you have the guys who can handle it. Your best QB plays every snap. Your best 3 LB's share snaps if they're all capable.

Milton did win the job in practice. He had command of the offense. He made the throws. It wasn't even pressure that caused him to play poorly... he just seemed to lose his poise a lot like JG when the lights came on.

Hooker played against BGSU and then took over in the 2nd half of the 2nd game in spite of the fact that Milton was healthy enough to reenter. He started the third game. How exactly did he not give anyone else game reps?

That was bizarre. Because Milton had proven nothing in game action. The only reason hooker ultimately got on the field is because Milton was injured. The staff hast to do a better job of identifying players that are not competing well in game action and giving others an opportunity… Regardless of what their first impressions and practice were of a player
I don't usually use this tactic because it usually isn't fair... but it is with the nature of your criticism. If you think you can see which players perform worse in practice but will be better in games than those who outperform them in practice... then you should get a SEC coaching job and win championships. Heupel and crew are doing it the same way Smart, Saban, Fisher, and every other quality coach in football does it. If a "gamer" is EVER discovered... it is universally because he got a chance to play and showed out. It is NOT because some coach ignored who performed better in practice.

Not sure what you stake is in Willis. But unless you are suggesting the coaches want to lose or somehow weren't DESPERATE for help at LB last year... your criticism is ridiculous. I don't know what kept Willis off the field but on what specific basis do you declare him an "absolute beast"? What has he done on the college level to prove it?

He has physical talent. I'm disappointed it didn't work out with him. But that does not mean the coaches are stupid or cheated him. It probably means that for any of many reasons... he didn't earn his shot to play.

Not sure what you stake is in Willis. But unless you are suggesting the coaches want to lose or somehow weren't DESPERATE for help at LB last year... your criticism is ridiculous. I don't know what kept Willis off the field but on what specific basis do you declare him an "absolute beast"? What has he done on the college level to prove it?

He has physical talent. I'm disappointed it didn't work out with him. But that does not mean the coaches are stupid or cheated him. It probably means that for any of many reasons... he didn't earn his shot to play.

I have no connection here. And I get 1000% these coaches want to win more than anything. Their whole legacy and career depends on it. But coaches wear a ton of hats and some have weaknesses. Amd I think giving guys an opportunity to win jobs out on the field is a weakness. Again…the way the qb competition played out is an example of that. Multiple qbs should’ve played earlier in the season. You can’t simulate game speed in practice.
As for my advocating for Willis it is because Beasley has struggled so much in games. It has little to do with Willis himself but rather how ineffective the guy ahead of him is.
But whatever… i’m done arguing the point. We are definitely trending up and I’d rather focus on that than laminating a weakness.

NCAA needs to reinstate the 1 yr attendance requirement for eligibility. They lifted this in order to keep from having to pay players. Well that is over now so they should control the competitive balance of the sports by stopping open free agency. Players can get their money but NCAA should control the competitive balance. JMO

Reactions: Nickid1975
I have no connection here. And I get 1000% these coaches want to win more than anything. Their whole legacy and career depends on it. But coaches wear a ton of hats and some have weaknesses. Amd I think giving guys an opportunity to win jobs out on the field is a weakness. Again…the way the qb competition played out is an example of that. Multiple qbs should’ve played earlier in the season. You can’t simulate game speed in practice.
As for my advocating for Willis it is because Beasley has struggled so much in games. It has little to do with Willis himself but rather how ineffective the guy ahead of him is.
But whatever… i’m done arguing the point. We are definitely trending up and I’d rather focus on that than laminating a weakness.
Milton was so far and away better than Hooker and Bailey it wasn't close.

You can't just see Milton obviously win the job and let the dudes who looked pedestrian in practice play. Like that makes absolutely zero sense.

Oh Joe Milton looks great and hits all his passes in practice, but I'm afraid he might just randomly suck, I better play these guys who sucked at practice just in case they are really good when the lights come on.

As far as Willis goes Elijah Herring jumped him in practice and he obviously doesn't wanna fight for his spot.

He seems to be really quick for the size and I said several big hits on special teams etc. And really more than anything if you are playing a guy like Aaron Beasley that over and over and over again is getting beat and you have a really talented guy waiting behind him… Why on earth not give him a chance? All position should be contested until there is good production on the field. That was my same argument with Milton versus Bailey or anyone else. Make these kids earn their spot via Saturday performance not Monday walk-through. I feel if given the opportunity out on the field almost any of our reserve linebackers would prove to be better than Beasley. Go back and watch the Kentucky quarterback abuse him all day long if you don’t understand why I detest this guy playing

You made alot of points here. Some I agree with. I definitely wouldn't argue that we need to be better at linebacker, particularly in that WILL spot, so I certainly am not going to defend Beasley. However, I haven't saw anything from the games last year or heard anything from spring practice that suggests Willis is currently any better than Beasley. I know he was highly recruited and I was looking forward to his progression this season. I remember him making a few tackles on special teams. I might be missing something?

Is it at all possible the staff wanted Willis to compete through winter workouts, spring practice, and fall camp and beat out Beasley for the spot? Do you imagine our linebacker group would have been better had this occured? There's this thing called competition, grinding it out, and earning something........Then, there's the portal.

Last edited:
Reactions: OrangeBeachVol
Oh you mean like they did with the competition between hooker and Milton? That practice right? Or a different practice? You can say fans are total idiots and have no insight if you want to but all that matters is what happens out on the field. And our defensive coordinator should’ve looked at how poor our play at middle linebacker was and made a change. The obvious change would’ve been a given Willis some actual playing time to assess the difference between the two. But because of seniority, understanding terminologies, and who knows what else… The job was given to Aaron Beasley and no matter how incompetent he was on Saturday it remained his job. It is a flawed by the staff.
And the comparison between Milton and Hooker is incredibly relevant here because that is very much the same. Milton won the job based on what happened in closed limited contact practices and no matter how incompetent he was they didn’t give anyone else game reps. That was bizarre. Because Milton had proven nothing in game action. The only reason hooker ultimately got on the field is because Milton was injured. The staff hast to do a better job of identifying players that are not competing well in game action and giving others an opportunity… Regardless of what their first impressions and practice were of a player

If I completely agreed with you, I would still be embarrassed for you.

Meet the coward at the Waffle House! Tell us when you got it set up.

Reactions: VolsSince78
LOL! Ok, coach.

Reactions: Jakeman12
None of this matters anymore. Kids are going to come and go all the time. No point getting worked up about it. Or buying crap with anyone's name on it - not until they graduate anyway.

And the comparison between Milton and Hooker is incredibly relevant here because that is very much the same. Milton won the job based on what happened in closed limited contact practices and no matter how incompetent he was they didn’t give anyone else game reps. That was bizarre. Because Milton had proven nothing in game action. The only reason hooker ultimately got on the field is because Milton was injured. The staff hast to do a better job of identifying players that are not competing well in game action and giving others an opportunity… Regardless of what their first impressions and practice were of a player
Calm down Aaron.

Reactions: TitanicVolz
I'm new to football. Can you tell me what the Mike LB's responsibilities are?
Did Coach Hype tell you they earned their job on Monday? Wait, I get it your a Coach I bet. Monday seems a little early for a walk thru but like I said I'm new to the game.
Last thing here, just watching the Ky. game it looked like their QB abused the whole team to me.

Not fans, just one.

Juwan Mitchell being injured made the position group reshuffle. He will be back, knows the system now, and is hungry. I believe the LB spot will be much improved. I am sure we will hear the Can't get worse crowd on this. I suppose we will learn more in a few months. Even in the spring game Willis didn't light it up, and that was with Mitchell at no contact status, and JB was used sparingly.

Reactions: TBvol

VN Store

Back