Lawson’s staff has been hired

Jump, Why do you keep stepping in
iu

I wish Kara all the best at Duke but man I hope this does not come back to bite us in the ass. I love Kelley and really hold her a tic above Kara only because she's already been successful in College. Outside of that their playing histories and who they learned from are pretty much the same!
Successful-ish

Any one think CoachLawson will have more wins than Holly got in her 7 years?

So it looks like she is interested in coaching at schools with a strong academic track record. I don't think that's a knock on Tennessee that she didn't include them.
If that is an accurate quote, Brown probably thought it was a given that she would be interested in coaching at Tennessee. She wouldn't have made the decision to attend Tennessee if she didn't think they were strong academically. She had offers from all 3 of those schools.

I laughed so hard at your reaction to that because I had the same reaction. It’s up there with “I could care less” for me. o_O
Yep! Believe it or not, our school speech therapist, with a masters degree, says this and goodies like “had did!” and “ I had saw it!” Or, alternately, “ I seen it!”

Her dad is chair of the BOE..

Yes, she is in a past-power in a weaker conference,,,she will undoubtedly win more games than CHW did
I wasn't a fan of Holly as a head coach, but here are the facts:
Starting in the 2012-13 season, Holly had seasons of 27, 29, 30, 22, 20, 25 and 19 wins. That's a total of 172 wins in 7 seasons. An average of 24.57 wins a season.
Duke won 15 games in the 2018-19 season and 18 games in 2019-2020.
Kara could exceed Holly's total, but it's not going to be easy.

Starting in the 2012-13 season, Holly had seasons of 27, 29, 30, 22, 20, 25 and 19 wins. That's a total of 172 wins in 7 seasons. An average of 24.57 wins a season.
Correct. Nobody should be using words like "undoubtedly". There is plenty of room for doubt. As you mentioned, Holly's 172 wins in 7 seasons was not bad by the standards of 95% of women's college basketball programs, and we also don't know what kind of a recruiter that Kara Lawson will be. We can only speculate right now. She has never done this before, even as an assistant.

Maybe I should have said "she will undoubtedly do better in the area of "expectations of the position"
CHW took a steamship and made it into a rowboat
Kara simply has to plug her rowboat and get it back to floating to exceed what CHW did

Reactions: Franklin Pierce
Maybe I should have said "she will undoubtedly do better in the area of "expectations of the position"
Kara simply has to plug her rowboat and get it back to floating to exceed what CHW did

Agree, and the first three years were HW’s best with those she inherited. Things went downhill and stayed.

Kara has to install an offense and defense and the players have to learn it and become proficient. They also have to learn to anticipate what everyone will do in the new offense when execution is challenged. I think it will be tougher than people think initially then it will depend on recruiting and development. Kara does have a great school to recruit to and that will help. Another issue will be the schedule. Will they load up on cupcakes or play a CPS type schedule.... I hope she does well. I liked her as a player and commentator. She has excellent communication skills.

Not wanting to sound overly pessimistic, but current conditions could lead to a lot less games being played in the near future...obviously impacting both individual and team records.

It will be interesting to see how this year's conference-only football schedule affects SEC and other conference win-loss totals.

I don't see how you can even say that. Kara Lawson has spent less than one full season as a coach, in any capacity, at any level of competition. She was with the Boston Celtics for less than a full season. Kara Lawson has never coached women before, even as an assistant. She has never coached in the college game before, even as an assistant. Therefore, she has never had recruiting responsibilities before, even as an assistant. Joanne P. McCallie wasn't bad. McCallie took Duke to the Sweet 16 seven times and to the Elite 8 four times, while winning a total 330 games in 13 seasons at Duke. That is an average of 25 wins per season, which is an even higher average of wins than what Holly Warlick did at Tennessee. Joanne P. McCallie set a pretty high bar at Duke. Some of you guys are showing a lot of confidence in Kara Lawson. I understand why you like her. I like her too, but she has proven absolutely nothing as a women's college basketball coach. This was a high risk/high reward hire for Duke. It's not a slam dunk that she will be successful.

Last edited:
I don't see how you can even say that. Kara Lawson has spent less than one full season as a coach, in any capacity, at any level of competition. She was with the Boston Celtics for less than a full season. Kara Lawson has never coached women before, even as an assistant. She has never coached in the college game before, even as an assistant. Therefore, she has never had recruiting responsibilities before, even as an assistant. Joanne P. McCallie wasn't bad. McCallie took Duke to the Sweet 16 seven times and to the Elite 8 four times, while winning a total 330 games in 13 seasons at Duke. That is an average of 25 wins per season, which is an even higher average of wins than what Holly Warlick did at Tennessee. Joanne P. McCallie set a pretty high bar at Duke. Some of you guys are showing a lot of confidence in Kara Lawson. I understand why you like her. I like her too, but she has proven absolutely nothing as a women's college basketball coach. This was a high risk/high reward hire for Duke. It's not a slam dunk that she will be successful.

Even moderate success will top what CHW did.
Any forward progression
beats
nothing but major regression
ANY TIME!

I don't see how you can even say that. Kara Lawson has spent less than one full season as a coach, in any capacity, at any level of competition. She was with the Boston Celtics for less than a full season. Kara Lawson has never coached women before, even as an assistant. She has never coached in the college game before, even as an assistant.M Therefore, she has never had recruiting responsibilities before, even as an assistant. Joanne P. McCallie wasn't bad. McCallie took Duke to the Sweet 16 seven times and to the Elite 8 four times, while winning a total 330 games in 13 seasons at Duke. That is an average of 25 wins per season, which is an even higher average of wins than what Holly Warlick did at Tennessee. Joanne P. McCallie set a pretty high bar at Duke. Some of you guys are showing a lot of confidence in Kara Lawson. I understand why you like her. I like her too, but she has proven absolutely nothing as a women's college basketball coach. This was a high risk/high reward hire for Duke. It's not a slam dunk that she will be successful.

The majority of McCallie success (the four straight Elites and ACC titles) came within the first 6 years of her tenure and there was a decline after that. Duke who considers themselves to be on the level of UConn because of their late 90s to mid 2000s run, that wasn't good enough. Part of the decline had to with Notre Dame and Louisville entering the ACC in 2013 (ND) and 2014 (Louisville).

Last edited:

VN Store

Back