Lawson’s staff has been hired

I’m not surprised one bit. She’s checking (and will check) all the boxes.

I wish Kara all the best at Duke but man I hope this does not come back to bite us in the ass. I love Kelley and really hold her a tic above Kara only because she's already been successful in College. Outside of that their playing histories and who they learned from are pretty much the same!

It’s no secret that my first choice for Holly’s replacement was Kara Lawson, despite the lack of experience of running a college basketball program.

My opinion has been that Lawson is — and I mean this in the most respectful way — a freak of nature. I think of her as a basketball savant. When I’ve watched and listened to her over the years you can almost see the wheels turning in her mind as she accesses the vast bank of knowledge she has built up starting from an early age.

There was one particular photo of Kara that always struck me as the ultimate foreshadowing of what lay ahead for her in the future, and that’s the one of her and Pat on the sidelines during the game. (I attached the photo -- the one on the left.) Kara is pointing out onto the floor, clearly explaining something she was seeing as a problem or giving Pat her opinion as to what Tennessee could do to better handle the opponent. The way Pat so obviously trusted Kara’s vision told me the first time I saw that image that Lawson WILL be a successful head coach one day. Pat knew it, too, I’m sure.

Lawson absolutely oozes competence and confidence. Her presence inspires others to try to be a little smarter, too. She is exactly the kind of blockbuster hire that would have instantly raised the profile of the program several levels. Savants are rare birds. Duke got ‘em a keeper.

Now, before anyone gets too mad at me for saying all this about a coach who is not part of our staff, let me also say that I couldn’t be happier than I am with Kellie Jolly Harper and the outstanding staff she hired. Kellie may not be what I call a basketball savant, but I can tell by her answers to basketball questions that she is extremely intelligent and competent as well. And being born and raised in Tennessee, and educated in Tennessee by people who absolutely love the state and the program, I wouldn’t hesitate to suggest that Kellie very likely loves the program on a level that’s just a tad deeper than ANYone, including Kara, not fortunate enough to have been born a Tennessean.

Kellie is as dedicated and capable, and I LOVE her and her family and know the Lady Vols are in good hands. It’s just going to take her a little more time to get there than it will Kara, IMO. Hopefully one day we’ll have epic National Championship battles between Tennessee and Duke! Gawd how I’d love that!

GO LADY VOLS!!!!!Unknown.jpegUnknown-1.jpeg

I might have overlooked it, but I didn’t read where any poster referenced John Adams’s column from the Knox News Sentinel this past Sunday, July 19. His article contained an interview with Al Brown. Among other things, Brown had this to say about Lawson:

“‘Awhile back, she told me Duke was one of the jobs she would be interested in if she became a coach,’ Brown said. ‘She also mentioned Notre Dame and Stanford.’”

Of course people will interpret that differently—with timing being a contingency given Brown’s words “awhile back”. I just don’t sense that Lawson was that interested in Tennessee’s previous coaching vacancy.

Reactions: sccshortstop
agreed Putbacks. I have always thought that Kara did not want the TN job at the time. she did not withdraw as a Trustee nor where there any leaks from anyone that she really wanted the job. we all know leaks happen during a big coaching search b/c the parties want others to know certain things. if the big name star "Kara Lawson" wanted the TN job, we would have known that some way some how.

It’s no secret that my first choice for Holly’s replacement was Kara Lawson, despite the lack of experience of running a college basketball program.

My opinion has been that Lawson is — and I mean this in the most respectful way — a freak of nature. I think of her as a basketball savant. When I’ve watched and listened to her over the years you can almost see the wheels turning in her mind as she accesses the vast bank of knowledge she has built up starting from an early age.

There was one particular photo of Kara that always struck me as the ultimate foreshadowing of what lay ahead for her in the future, and that’s the one of her and Pat on the sidelines during the game. (I attached the photo -- the one on the left.) Kara is pointing out onto the floor, clearly explaining something she was seeing as a problem or giving Pat her opinion as to what Tennessee could do to better handle the opponent. The way Pat so obviously trusted Kara’s vision told me the first time I saw that image that Lawson WILL be a successful head coach one day. Pat knew it, too, I’m sure.

Lawson absolutely oozes competence and confidence. Her presence inspires others to try to be a little smarter, too. She is exactly the kind of blockbuster hire that would have instantly raised the profile of the program several levels. Savants are rare birds. Duke got ‘em a keeper.

Now, before anyone gets too mad at me for saying all this about a coach who is not part of our staff, let me also say that I couldn’t be happier than I am with Kellie Jolly Harper and the outstanding staff she hired. Kellie may not be what I call a basketball savant, but I can tell by her answers to basketball questions that she is extremely intelligent and competent as well. And being born and raised in Tennessee, and educated in Tennessee by people who absolutely love the state and the program, I wouldn’t hesitate to suggest that Kellie very likely loves the program on a level that’s just a tad deeper than ANYone, including Kara, not fortunate enough to have been born a Tennessean.

Kellie is as dedicated and capable, and I LOVE her and her family and know the Lady Vols are in good hands. It’s just going to take her a little more time to get there than it will Kara, IMO. Hopefully one day we’ll have epic National Championship battles between Tennessee and Duke! Gawd how I’d love that!

GO LADY VOLS!!!!!View attachment 295233View attachment 295234

You are certainly showing your love for Lawson. Do you work for ESPN?

I might have overlooked it, but I didn’t read where any poster referenced John Adams’s column from the Knox News Sentinel this past Sunday, July 19. His article contained an interview with Al Brown. Among other things, Brown had this to say about Lawson:

“‘Awhile back, she told me Duke was one of the jobs she would be interested in if she became a coach,’ Brown said. ‘She also mentioned Notre Dame and Stanford.’”

Of course people will interpret that differently—with timing being a contingency given Brown’s words “awhile back”. I just don’t sense that Lawson was that interested in Tennessee’s previous coaching vacancy.
Those who susposed to know said it time and time again that Kara was not interested in the UT job!! I would have taken her in a heartbeat as well but she is the one who made the call. until she started her belittling of the UT diversity in coaching i was all for her but she soured me. I hope she does not continue on as a UT trustee and would welcome Tomeka or Candace either one if we were getting another LV. Kara will and should be a LVFL regardless!

Reactions: gule

So it looks like she is interested in coaching at schools with a strong academic track record. I don't think that's a knock on Tennessee that she didn't include them.

Reactions: 1reVOLver
CONGRATULATIONS COACH LAWSON ON THIS GREAT OPPORTUNITY. I believe you will be a great asset to Duke and a great leader to the young women you will lead. This is great hire for Duke, hopefully this will provide the stability that been missing from that program. Much success to you Coach Lawson, except when it comes to us, but you will always be one of our LVFL, GO LADY VOLS:):):):)

So it looks like she is interested in coaching at schools with a strong academic track record. I don't think that's a knock on Tennessee that she didn't include them.
No Need to Chase after Tennessee, if she did and got chosen over, then it may sour the relationship if things don't pan out. Plus, she will have a lot more latitude at Duke IMO.

It was hard to pass on Jolly she has the Pat Head Summitt Trademark in everything she says and does.

VN Store

Back