Lauding Peyton

I Love Peyton Manning. He is my favorite player of all time. That said, the man must never be allowed to attend a UT sporting event unless we are playing Helen Keller’s Northwest Little Sister School of The Blind Chicks Who Can’t Read Braille Good. He is Our KOD

Last edited:
Peyton is not the greatest QB ever. He is not in my top 3 favorite QB at Tennessee. Sorry to all the Peyton lovers.

That is what I value over the rings argument. It is a team sport. The Patriots were a better team than the Colts. Better coaches, better defense. Just as much to work with on offense. Look at what the Pats did in 2008 with Matt Cassell after Brady went down. 11-5 with Matt Cassell.... Peyton goes down with the neck injury? Colts start the year 0-13 after nine straight dominant playoff years, two super bowl appearances and a super bowl win.

Ya can't tell me Matt Cassell was better than the Colts back ups in 2011 because Matt Cassell sucked every other time he touched the field before and after he played for the Patriots.

Peyton also won plenty of big time games. Several 4th quarter comebacks. It's not like he wasn't clutch.

Tom and Joe are arguably more clutch, but it is a game of inches. Peyton was maybe a touch less lucky than him.

But as far as dominating the position of quarterback? No one has done it better.

It is all relative and obviously the ring debate is paramount in people's eyes not raw ability at a certain position. It can go either way.
Matt Cassel made a pro bowl in Kansas City. And yes he was a much better quarterback than washed up Kerry Collins and Curtis Painter.

If I'm picking a team (in their prime) that I'm going to bet my house on Peyton is my first pick. Not the greatest arm, certainly not the most mobile, but simply the most effective. It does make me chuckle when people claim MJ the greatest because of his 6 rings with Bill Russell sitting there with 11. Even though I'm a Celtics fan, neither is the greatest. My first pick on my house bet is Kareem Abdul Jabbar. Most younger people have no idea how good he was.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
I've grown to like Brady now that he's not preventing Peyton from winning the conference.

I've always believed that if Peyton had Belicheat as his coach and those incredible defenses that NE put on the field, the # of rings would be almost reversed. The Colts used a "bend but don't break" attitude most years Peyton was there. Brady enjoyed some incredible LBs and DBs to keep offenses confused. Belicheat was also great at making adjustments at halftime. Dungy, with all due respect, didn't do that as much and it cost him several times.

Yes, Peyton "choked" on occasion. But there was a lot more pressure on him than there was on Brady. Peyton knew his defense couldn't save him (like it did in the SB with Denver), Brady more often than not knew his defense was nearly as strong - in some cases stronger - than the offense. That leads to less pressure and less "choking".

I've grown to like Brady now that he's not preventing Peyton from winning the conference.

I've always believed that if Peyton had Belicheat as his coach and those incredible defenses that NE put on the field, the # of rings would be almost reversed. The Colts used a "bend but don't break" attitude most years Peyton was there. Brady enjoyed some incredible LBs and DBs to keep offenses confused. Belicheat was also great at making adjustments at halftime. Dungy, with all due respect, didn't do that as much and it cost him several times.

Yes, Peyton "choked" on occasion. But there was a lot more pressure on him than there was on Brady. Peyton knew his defense couldn't save him (like it did in the SB with Denver), Brady more often than not knew his defense was nearly as strong - in some cases stronger - than the offense. That leads to less pressure and less "choking".
Agree Dungy was not the coach Belichick was. A lot of great QBs to have played the game. Have to take into consideration talent surrounding them. I was always a Rodger (captain comeback) Stuabach fan. Asking who is best QB of all time is like asking who is greatest professional athlete in all of sports is greatest.

Rehashing the Heisman thing for a bit, I always wondered why “they” picked Manning to “show up” with a defensive player. They could have picked somewhat overall average Jim Plunkett, Pat Sullivan, Gino Torreta, Doug Flutie, Ty Detmer, Danny Wuerfful and even Vinny T to run their little experiment on. But they picked probably the best college QB ever, at the time.

I listen to Keyshawn Johnson’s show most mornings. He’s said this many times and said it again this morning. He said Peyton Manning was the most difficult QB to play against. He added that he’d much rather play against Brady than Manning. That they were scared of Manning but not Brady, rather they were scared of the whole Belichek system. He said “every player felt that way”.

Reactions: Jax_Vol and Gandalf
What is really important here is that Peyton Manning is MY Greatest QB of All Time.

I Love Peyton Manning. He is my favorite player of all time. That said, the man must never be allowed to attend a UT sporting event unless we are playing Helen Keller’s Northwest Little Sister School of The Blind Chicks Who Can’t Read Braille Good. He is Our KOD

Not funny. You guys should move on from this. He is one of our greatest Vols and a huge asset to the university. Do you carry a lucky rabbit's foot around in your pocket? throw salt over your shoulder? or refuse to leave your house on Friday the 13th? This asinine superstition is starting to catch on. GBO

Last edited:
Reactions: Jax_Vol
Are ya'll still talking about that guy who last played here 25 years ago? Asking for a friend....

I listen to Keyshawn Johnson’s show most mornings. He’s said this many times and said it again this morning. He said Peyton Manning was the most difficult QB to play against. He added that he’d much rather play against Brady than Manning. That they were scared of Manning but not Brady, rather they were scared of the whole Belichek system. He said “every player felt that way”.

THIS. Belichick with Brady at the helm had the greatest system but for stand alone QB, I think Peyton takes it. His ability to call plays on the line and out think the defense was legendary - I mean, the whole "Omaha, Omaha!" thing :D

Not funny. You guys should move on from this. He is one of our greatest Vols and a huge asset to the university. Do you carry a lucky rabbit's foot around in your pocket? throw salt over your shoulder? or refuse to leave your house on Friday the 13th? This asinine superstition is starting to catch on. GBO
I actually do all of those things, which is why I posted the very serious post that I did. Hopefully if he comes to the game against Helen Keller’s Northwest Little Sister School of The Blind Chicks Who Can’t Read Braille Good State (I forgot they were State) he’ll only stay through the first half and then go have some drinks with Donde at his hotel. Can never be too careful.

Reactions: ursaminotaur
Tom Brady is greatest QB of all-time.

Peyton Manning has a shot to argue for #2 along with Joe Montana, Brett Favre, Dan Marino, and John Elway.

Personally I would run it like this:

1. Tom Brady
2. Joe Montana
3. Peyton Manning
4. Brett Favre
5. John Elway
Was wondering is Joe Montana the only QB to win a SB and NC ?

Someone please invite Peyton and Marshall to the Ball State game.

We must get past this silly jinx business.

Does anyone have a spare pair of tickets in the end zone for the Manning twosome?

VN Store

Back