Lauding Peyton

WoodsmanVol

It takes wisdom to understand wisdom.
The greatest QB that ever lived? Much as I like Pey, I don't know if I'd go that far. I do believe he was the most cerebral QB we ever saw. As for the greatest, it might be unfair to modern QBs, Peyton and others. But my vote would be Sammy Baugh. He played QB, punter, defense, and was darn good at all his positions. Yet, I can certainly understand Ryan's assessment, Peyton had smarts. What he needed was the type of defense Brady enjoyed with New England to back up his great QB play. Matter-of-fact, Pey once expressed envy about the NE LB corps. If he had been NE QB, they likely would have won the Super Bowl even more often than they did with Brady. So one can surely understand Ryan's assessment, but I remain in Sammy Baugh's corner while admitting it I'm biased, as it was a different era.
Source: Ryan Fitzpatrick dubs Peyton Manning the greatest QB to ever live

The greatest QB that ever lived? Much as I like Pey, I don't know if I'd go that far. I do believe he was the most cerebral QB we ever saw. As for the greatest, it might be unfair to modern QBs, Peyton and others. But my vote would be Sammy Baugh. He played QB, punter, defense, and was darn good at all his positions. Yet, I can certainly understand Ryan's assessment, Peyton had smarts. What he needed was the type of defense Brady enjoyed with New England to back up his great QB play. Matter-of-fact, Pey once expressed envy about the NE LB corps. If he had been NE QB, they likely would have won the Super Bowl even more often than they did with Brady. So one can surely understand Ryan's assessment, but I remain in Sammy Baugh's corner while admitting it I'm biased, as it was a different era.
Peyton was the most effective QB I have seen. He is not the greatest athlete to have played the position, but he got more accomplished than other QB I have seen. He has studied the entire game and was a coach on the field and one what to do and when to do it. I will take him over any other QB I have seen, especially for college play.

This is such a subjective argument that always ends with the argument of who has the most rings. I will say this, when Peyton had a good defense, the O was pretty much unstoppable.
I agree it seems like the rings always get brought up. However if we look at it like in the NBA people always say MJ is the best ever with his 6 rings, but honestly Bill Russell has 11 rings in 13 seasons for the Celtics. I think Peyton is the best qb that the vols ever had to this point. Could he put up those bumbers again if he was coming through college today? I'd say yes, guys like Peyton are just different. I'm a hater of Tom Brady but Brady is better than Peyton as Brady doesn't choke now where near as much as Peyton did. Now by all means you can (I also believe as much) say that Brady won so many rings due to cheating (I again believe this) but regardless at the end of the day Brady has more wins for the games that truly mattered.

Reactions: dovervolz
This is such a subjective argument that always ends with the argument of who has the most rings. I will say this, when Peyton had a good defense, the O was pretty much unstoppable.

I do believe I said the same thing about his having a proper defense. It's not an argument, it's an opinion, including Ryan's comments as well as my own. And I dare say, we were both quite pro-Peyton overall. I, for one, didn't mention rings, just performances. There's no question that Peyton is in a league of his own as a QB, I do question his being the greatest QB that ever lived. Heck man! Given how things are unfolding so quickly these days, we might have to classify Pey as the best fully human QB prior to the age of cyborgs or A.I robots being drafted as players. We may not be that far away from that very thing happening.

Back I go to the tenacious task of digging through content material for my bud and I to categorize for our writing project.

Reactions: VOLfrombama
The greatest QB that ever lived? Much as I like Pey, I don't know if I'd go that far. I do believe he was the most cerebral QB we ever saw. As for the greatest, it might be unfair to modern QBs, Peyton and others. But my vote would be Sammy Baugh. He played QB, punter, defense, and was darn good at all his positions.

Isn’t your argument more that Sammy was the best QB/punter/defensive back ever? Being the best quarterback has nothing to do with punting/etc (even though it’s pretty incredible he did all that).

Thomas Edward Brady is the goat QB, by almost any way you wish to measure it

Amen. I have also posted this same thing in the past but be ready for the onslaught saying you don’t know crap.

Sammy Baugh wasn't the best QB of his generation, much less all-time. Baugh won 2 titles in 16 seasons, led league in passing 4x and TDs 2x

Otto Graham was the best QB of that generation and its not even close. Graham won 7 titles in 10 seasons, led league in passing 5x and TDs 3x.

Tom Brady is greatest QB of all-time.

Peyton Manning has a shot to argue for #2 along with Joe Montana, Brett Favre, Dan Marino, and John Elway.

Personally I would run it like this:

1. Tom Brady
2. Joe Montana
3. Peyton Manning
4. Brett Favre
5. John Elway

Reactions: njvols
Peyton was the most effective QB I have seen. He is not the greatest athlete to have played the position, but he got more accomplished than other QB I have seen. He has studied the entire game and was a coach on the field and one what to do and when to do it. I will take him over any other QB I have seen, especially for college play.
If not for the neck injury, there may have not been anyone else in the conversation.. At his peak, no one else is close. He kept defenses on their heels.

Isn’t your argument more that Sammy was the best QB/punter/defensive back ever? Being the best quarterback has nothing to do with punting/etc (even though it’s pretty incredible he did all that).

It's not an argument. It's an opinion, AND, in my original post, was indicated as such. Here's another opinion, I think the most entertaining pro RB of all time to watch is shared equally by two people. Elroy Hirsh and Gale Sayers, an odd coincidence that both wore number 40 jerseys. And yes, I believe that the whirling dervish, Barry Sanders, and the bludgeoning ram, Jim Brown were great backs, but for me, I, and myself, I think Elroy and Gale were the most fun to watch. Sayers especially when the field was as muddy as a pig sty. Peyton remains the most cerebral QB of them all, if nothing else. Punting? Well, it's better to punt than for a QB to fumble. Even Doug Flutie kicked the football, though it wasn't technically a punt. I remain a Sammy Baugh fanboy despite what anybody says, I happen to think Pey was the smartest, but you know, that's just me.

Reactions: clarencepeabody
It's not an argument. It's an opinion, AND, in my original post, was indicated as such. Here's another opinion, I think the most entertaining pro RB of all time to watch is shared equally by two people. Elroy Hirsh and Gale Sayers, an odd coincidence that both wore number 40 jerseys. And yes, I believe that the whirling dervish, Barry Sanders, and the bludgeoning ram, Jim Brown were great backs, but for me, I, and myself, I think Elroy and Gale were the most fun to watch. Sayers especially when the field was as muddy as a pig sty. Peyton remains the most cerebral QB of them all, if nothing else. Punting? Well, it's better to punt than for a QB to fumble. Even Doug Flutie kicked the football, though it wasn't technically a punt. I remain a Sammy Baugh fanboy despite what anybody says, I happen to think Pey was the smartest, but you know, that's just me.
I'm probably with you on Gayle Sayers. The first time I saw him run the football the game changed for me. He brought that much excitement to the running back position.

Tom Brady is greatest QB of all-time.

Peyton Manning has a shot to argue for #2 along with Joe Montana, Brett Favre, Dan Marino, and John Elway.

Personally I would run it like this:

1. Tom Brady
2. Joe Montana
3. Peyton Manning
4. Brett Favre
5. John Elway
You have to consider the older Qb’s like Unitas and how they performed in their eras. I personally would rank Unitas and Staubach over Favre and Elway. I would also rank Marino in the top 3 to 5 because he never played for a team that was strong enough to win a SB.

Reactions: Firebirdparts

My list of greatest NFL QBs goes:.

1. Brady
2. Montana
3. Peyton

Manning was definitely the most cerebral QB and best coach on the field QB of all time though. But nerves play a huge part in the position as well and no player is as good as Brady or Montana when stakes are the highest. Especially Brady. He seems to only get better with more pressure. It's pretty insane actually.

Reactions: WoodsmanVol
That is what I value over the rings argument. It is a team sport. The Patriots were a better team than the Colts. Better coaches, better defense. Just as much to work with on offense. Look at what the Pats did in 2008 with Matt Cassell after Brady went down. 11-5 with Matt Cassell.... Peyton goes down with the neck injury? Colts start the year 0-13 after nine straight dominant playoff years, two super bowl appearances and a super bowl win.

Ya can't tell me Matt Cassell was better than the Colts back ups in 2011 because Matt Cassell sucked every other time he touched the field before and after he played for the Patriots.

Peyton also won plenty of big time games. Several 4th quarter comebacks. It's not like he wasn't clutch.

Tom and Joe are arguably more clutch, but it is a game of inches. Peyton was maybe a touch less lucky than him.

But as far as dominating the position of quarterback? No one has done it better.

It is all relative and obviously the ring debate is paramount in people's eyes not raw ability at a certain position. It can go either way.

Really we’re fortunate to have Peyton at UT for 4 years. No way in 97 we win a sec title without him. Despite us turning the ball over 6 times (don’t believe any of them were his fault) we somehow find a way to beat auburn thanks to his 4 TDs and almost 400 yds passing. Brady may be the best nfl qb ever but Peyton Is the greatest vol qb ever and as vol fan that means more to me.

You have to consider the older Qb’s like Unitas and how they performed in their eras. I personally would rank Unitas and Staubach over Favre and Elway. I would also rank Marino in the top 3 to 5 because he never played for a team that was strong enough to win a SB.

I have heard that a lot from Marino but that hasn't stopped other QBs from winning. I do think Marino is top 10 but not necessarily top 5.

I will point this out, the greatest ATHLETE that I have seen at the QB position was Michael Vick. Those first couple of years in the NFL, he looked like he was going to take off. Apparently, from his own words, he admits that he didn't put the work in and got lazy/content.

He had a unique ability to even scramble and dodge blitzes like college QBs do all of the time at the NFL level.

I will point this out, the greatest ATHLETE that I have seen at the QB position was Michael Vick. Those first couple of years in the NFL, he looked like he was going to take off. Apparently, from his own words, he admits that he didn't put the work in and got lazy/content.

He had a unique ability to even scramble and dodge blitzes like college QBs do all of the time at the NFL level.

You're more than probably right, though, I do have a soft spot for Roger the dodger, and Fran the scram, but Mike was something else. And then there was Randall Cunningham.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back