Latest Coronavirus - Yikes

pulled this quote and comment from the comment section:

By early July, in the week just after Kelly’s mask order, the COVID-19 incidence rate had risen to 17 cases per 100,000 in the counties that would ultimately adopt the mandate—a 467 percent increase from early June. In the counties that would not adopt the mask order, there had been a 50 percent increase, for an incidence rate of six cases per 100,000.

By mid-August, the 7-day rolling average COVID-19 incidence had decreased by 6 percent to 16 cases per 100,000 in mandated counties. In non-mandated counties, it had increased by 100 percent to 12 cases per 100,000.

So let me get this straight – in mandated counties, the rate of infection plummeted from 17 per 100k all the way down to 16 per 100k? Well, can’t argue that masks sure are effective!

eta: c-south beat me to it.

I think the trend is what's interesting. In a month it went from 3 to 17 then down to 16 the next month. Completely reversing the direction of an exploding trend is noteworthy.

Reactions: McDad
I think the trend is what's interesting. In a month it went from 3 to 17 then down to 16 the next month. Completely reversing the direction of an exploding trend is noteworthy.
might be. but there are a multitude of things which could also account for the reversal.

I find it interesting the non-mandated counties was lower in count than the mandated counties throughout the observed months. Maybe that is a rural versus urban effect.

I've been saving humanity my whole life by sneezing into my shirt
side note...what about in old movies where the guy gives someone his handkerchief and they wipe tears nose and give it back? I'm glad that custom is dead.

Throughout all of this it seems the most effective strategies are distancing and frequent hand washing.

I am also waiting for conclusive evidence on asymptomatic transmission.

And I will add, this thing kills really old people with health problems.

I fully realize, as a 47 year old male, I could be dead from this virus next week. But the clear evidence shows this is overwhelmingly a killer of really old sick people.

We have gone insane.

And I will add, this thing kills really old people with health problems.

I fully realize, as a 47 year old male, I could be dead from this virus next week. But the clear evidence shows this is overwhelmingly a killer of really old sick people.

We have gone insane.
My son in law tested for antibodies this week. He has them. He and my daughter have been living with us since they married in May. He never had any symptoms of covid. Had symptoms of an allergy a couple months ago. Nobody else in the house, including my daughter (she is negative for anitbodies) caught covid.

My son in law tested for antibodies this week. He has them. He and my daughter have been living with us since they married in May. He never had any symptoms of covid. Had symptoms of an allergy a couple months ago. Nobody else in the house, including my daughter (she is negative for anitbodies) caught covid.
That’s interesting. My boss had her husband test positive a month ago. She and the two kids clean. She was all about how there was no way in hell he had it and she didn’t. He went and got tested bc a coworker he was in close contact with tested positive. She said two days later they escaped for a weekend anniversary celebration. Based on context clues I would say she’s right.

pulled this quote and comment from the comment section:

By early July, in the week just after Kelly’s mask order, the COVID-19 incidence rate had risen to 17 cases per 100,000 in the counties that would ultimately adopt the mandate—a 467 percent increase from early June. In the counties that would not adopt the mask order, there had been a 50 percent increase, for an incidence rate of six cases per 100,000.

By mid-August, the 7-day rolling average COVID-19 incidence had decreased by 6 percent to 16 cases per 100,000 in mandated counties. In non-mandated counties, it had increased by 100 percent to 12 cases per 100,000.

So let me get this straight – in mandated counties, the rate of infection plummeted from 17 per 100k all the way down to 16 per 100k? Well, can’t argue that masks sure are effective!

eta: c-south beat me to it.
The masks decreased the count to still be above the increased non mask counties. That's some jacked up win.

We outscored them in the second half! They still won the game, but we won the second half.

might be. but there are a multitude of things which could also account for the reversal.

I find it interesting the non-mandated counties was lower in count than the mandated counties throughout the observed months. Maybe that is a rural versus urban effect.

For sure. TIFWIW, just like any other study

I dont think it's too unusual. Looks like there is usually a pretty steep drop in cases. In pretty short times.

Google Image Result for https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/f34d2c292ca8f328e6116095564fdafd1d1011bb/0_0_850_685/master/850.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=e757479c447c2b989bb361754aa20d13

OK, it's a fair point that the trend change could be coincidental, but contrasting it with non mask mandate trends within Kansas in the 2020 covid pandemic is probably more valid than the Spanish flu. That's also mortality, not cases

Last edited:

You seem to think that trends move in straight lines. Dropping one is hardly a reversal, because trends usually move in waves, and they are not limited in time to one month. One point might be a very minor pullback in a continuing uptrend. Seriously.

Anybody know if he will forgo an inauguration parade and public ceremony?

We met a very nice lady just a couple of days ago that told us her son was going to be marching in the parade , as it stands right now .

VN Store

Back