Latest Coronavirus - Yikes

The greater good would have been to contact the parents first.
But it is also for the greater good to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to allow a young non-verbal girl with down syndrome to attend public schools.
I guess there is no private school stepping up and volunteering.
Your greater good is rounding a lot of corners here with this girl. Good thing she doesnt individually matter, it's only her roll in the greater good that you can even imagine.

You couldnt even express anything for the girl, first her parents, then public schools, then a jab at private schools. But the girl? Got your priorities right in line. Your take on the greater good cant even acknowledge the base issue.

Share the burden.
Down syndrome, self contained, EBD, etc.....
Very few private schools seek out these students - in fact, they avoid them like the plague.
The few private institutions that do serve this population are ALWAYS non-profit.
Give public schools the freedom to give choice and vouchers to the students who they are not adequately able to serve.
Then insist that private schools must accept these students.
If a student is a total failure and/or discipline problem in the public school system, let's give private schools the chance to show how it should be done.

I don’t think you quite understand the reasoning behind private schools. It is done specifically to cherry pick students so that the school can keep an expected standard met that parents feel is worth paying for.

Charter schools were originally supposed to be the haven schools for the disenfranchised, those in need of extra help above and beyond what a public school could provide, or highly specialized / focused schools that laser in on specific learning paths (STEM, arts, etc). Instead, it's turned into tax shelters for investors and, in states with low oversight, are a nightmare for students, parents, and teachers alike (search Florida Charter School Closing and read the stories). I recommend any parent considering charter schooling for their child carefully investigate the leadership stability and teacher longevity of the school. Constant leadership or teacher turnover should be considered a red flag.

Vouchers also have not done what they claim to do; private schools cannot be forced to accept students who do not pass their entrance exams. This means they draw the top students away from public schools, leaving lower performing students to form a greater percentage of the public school population. As the vouchers take money away from the schools students are leaving, it means less resources for the remaining students.

As the parent of a child with special needs, school choice is something that we have examined but chose to keep our tax dollars where our children would attend by renting in the school zone of the school we needed our daughter to attend. As all public schools cannot be all things to all people, I understand and support parents who apply for their child to attend a different public school than the one they are zoned for because of services offered (in my daughter's case, full time deaf/HOH staff) and program quality if moving is not an option.

Reactions: luthervol and NEO
As the parent of a child with special needs, school choice is something that we have examined but chose to keep our tax dollars where our children would attend by renting in the school zone of the school we needed our daughter to attend. As all public schools cannot be all things to all people, I understand and support parents who apply for their child to attend a different public school than the one they are zoned for because of services offered (in my daughter's case, full time deaf/HOH staff) and program quality if moving is not an option.
Interesting....

Vouchers also have not done what they claim to do; private schools cannot be forced to accept students who do not pass their entrance exams. This means they draw the top students away from public schools, leaving lower performing students to form a greater percentage of the public school population. As the vouchers take money away from the schools students are leaving, it means less resources for the remaining students.
I think the left has been able to place so many obstructions in the way of most voucher programs that they really haven't had a chance to show their optimum effectiveness.

I don’t think you quite understand the reasoning behind private schools. It is done specifically to cherry pick students so that the school can keep an expected standard met that parents feel is worth paying for.
I fully understand the reasoning behind private schools. (profit)
There model is - "give us a lot of money and we will give your child an advantage over others".

No vouchers is a solution.
If private schools wish to enrich themselves off of the tax payer's $, then I have no problem with forcing them to share some of the burden.
Fair.

Then how about we just do away with public education and let parents take the money that would have been paid in taxes and let them have control of their educational choices?

Reactions: whodeycin85
Fair.

Then how about we just do away with public education and let parents take the money that would have been paid in taxes and let them have control of their educational choices?

Third world countries will shoot ahead of us in education rankings if that were to happen. It's as if we're looking at the best performing schools in the best performing countries and going "Nope, let's do the opposite."

Third world countries will shoot ahead of us in education rankings if that were to happen. It's as if we're looking at the best performing schools in the best performing countries and going "Nope, let's do the opposite."
Happening right now under the current system we have.

No vouchers is a solution.
If private schools wish to enrich themselves off of the tax payer's $, then I have no problem with forcing them to share some of the burden.
That's literally what public schools are doing too. Enriching themselves off of tax payer money.

Never having kids, guess what you still get to enrich the local public schools. Never send your kids to public and burden the system, guess what you still get to enrich the local public schools. Send you 4 kids through public schools for 20 years, guess what you still enrich the public schools 20 years after your last kid left any state program behind.

I fully understand the reasoning behind private schools. (profit)
There model is - "give us a lot of money and we will give your child an advantage over others".

Correct, “their” model is that.

I am a product of private schools and can personally say the education I received there was leaps and bounds ahead of my public school friends. Not everyone I went to school with became successful but we were definitely given the tools to succeed if we so chose to.

Reactions: Rickyvol77 and AshG

VN Store

Back