Latest Coronavirus - Yikes

Is this like the flu or nah?
Compare: 2009 H1N1 Pandemic Versus the 2020 Coronavirus Pandemic | BioSpace

On March 17th, there were 93 confirmed deaths in the US linked to Covid-19....as of April 6th, there are 9,653. It is projected that we will surpass the H1N1 death toll by Wednesday. That is sobering. I remember like yesterday when people were telling me that 12,469 people died in a year from the swine flu. Here it is almost three months after the first confirmed case and we will surpass that number. I am afraid to see what the numbers will look like after a year.
To elderly or sick people it is much much worse than the flu..... to healthy people it is not as bad as the flu...... I wish we had done this like Germany...... they locked in and secured their elderly with very minimal contact allowed.... in the us.... I went to pick up a pizza right before they shut down dining rooms in restaurants.... several elderly people..... 2 hauling around oxygen tanks were sitting there eating the pizza buffet.

Reactions: BreatheUT
The drug is not a magic bullet to cure Covid-19. It helps some people with symptoms, and some people not so much. There is a reason scientists are still working on a vaccine and possibly a cure. The NIH just started doing clinical trials about 2 weeks ago. I have an acquaintance that volunteered for a clinical trial with the CDC.
They should give these drugs as options to people that are getting really sick.

But as a libertarian I have to look at evidence, does it appear he did it, can it be proven. Do I think he did something innapropriate? Yes, illegal, maybe not, not completely sure because the evidence was lacking and so many of the "prosecuting party" had relatives with skin in the game. Do I think the left trampled on the Constitution and skirted laws? I think they did and as a libertarian that does worry me. The ends rarely justify the means nor should they.

All the evidence you need is the President's own, unedited confession. Just listen to the words that come out of his mouth.

Nothing is a more blatantly trampling on the Constitution than a disregard for checks and balances.

Democrats were totally within the Constitution and responsibilities to impeach the Presidet. Maybe they could have let it go but again their responsibilities as a watchdog or loyal opposition. Just as Republicans impeached Clinton. Republicans could of let it go as nothing of consequence but they didn't due to their duty as a watchdog.

Procedurally, a similar impeachment happened with Clinton. The precedent set is that it's okay to participate in sexual misconduct, lie about it and then repent when caught. As long as your party controls one house. As a libertarian this is unethical but it didn't change anything within the Government or cost money so its not a big deal.

Overriding congress, disrupting the flow of money to satisfy a personal agenda, is a big deal. It violates the very core of the Constitution. As mentioned before, what precedent was set?

Hypothetically, a liberal Presidet doesn't like the amount of money allocated to say Israel. So he withholds the money until his personal political agenda is satisfied.
That kind of power from the executive branch has our founding fathers rolling in their graves and should get the attention of every American.

(I know as a libertarian you probably don't want to send money to any country, including Isreal. Just the first example that came to mind)

Yeah I saw a cnn headline..... it read trump says “what can it hurt” AMA says “it can kill lives”....... such over dramatic nonsense

CNN has gone overboard with this. It isn’t like anybody can go get this medicine and eat it by the bucket. It has to be prescribed. If somebody and their doctor say it can’t hurt to try it for care, then so what.

The dramatics with this whole thing is just nuts.

CNN has gone overboard with this. It isn’t like anybody can go get this medicine and eat it by the bucket. It has to be prescribed. If somebody and their doctor say it can’t hurt to try it for care, then so what.

I agree.... I don’t like Hillary or Nancy but if they can deliver a medicine to get us back to living a normal life.... I would be ok with them being put on Mount Rushmore and president of the United States.... The fact that so many cares about these political games instead of things that matter kills me

It I recall several thousand hydroxychloroquine were shipped to gov Cuomo around two weeks ago. I understand the gov was only allowing this to be administered if you came to a hospital. So where are we with the govs testing? At this point there should be some feedback , positive or negative. And not the standard answer, " we gave the patient the meds, he improved but we're not sure if it was the meds or he just naturally got better"

Remember the story of UT using a super computer to work on a compound? Heard anything. No.

Remember when they said there are 1,000 patients being treated in a test group with hydroxy-c? Heard anything? No.

Meanwhile; there seems to be a propaganda campaign about how dangerous this drug is. I have two friends that have taken it for years to treat auto immune diseases.

It’s amazing to watch people turn against a decades old drug that is so safe it can be given to pregnant and nursing women ( the gold standard when it comes to how safe a drug of any kind is ) and without limits on how long it can be taken . A drug sold around the world in open markets that millions have taken . If it’s not political then let’s see Obama and Oprah tweet out the same thing I just said , and let’s sit back watch what happens . Playing stupid politics , is STUPID .

If someone does eat any medicine by the bucket fulls , it’s natural selection at work and we need to stop interfering with nature. It’s as safe a drug as you can get , nobody should be saying this drug kills people . We shouldn’t have to add qualifiers of “ if you eat a gallon of this and you are stupid “ on medicines , anymore than we should have to put warnings on hot coffee cups from McDonald’s.

Reactions: DynaLo
To elderly or sick people it is much much worse than the flu..... to healthy people it is not as bad as the flu...... I wish we had done this like Germany...... they locked in and secured their elderly with very minimal contact allowed.... in the us.... I went to pick up a pizza right before they shut down dining rooms in restaurants.... several elderly people..... 2 hauling around oxygen tanks were sitting there eating the pizza buffet.

This is where I get confused. Why would it be okay for us to lock in the old? Shouldn't be okay to lock in anyone, right? And why the old anyway, I mean do they spread it easier than anyone else? As far as it being more fatal to them than younger people, if they don't care why should we? Should've just warned everyone about it and let everyone do whatever they wanted.

It's agenda driven and meant for the slobbers.

if they are just prescribing the medicine without any clinical trials run to see the effectiveness as it relates to covid-19, 2 things are happening. You are depleting the supply of the drug for people that truly need it to treat malaria and autoimmune deficiencies. Also the price of the drug will skyrocket.

It I recall several thousand hydroxychloroquine were shipped to gov Cuomo around two weeks ago. I understand the gov was only allowing this to be administered if you came to a hospital. So where are we with the govs testing? At this point there should be some feedback , positive or negative. And not the standard answer, " we gave the patient the meds, he improved but we're not sure if it was the meds or he just naturally got better"
clinical trials take a longtime to run and see how the drug interacts with patients that have covid-19.

This is where I get confused. Why would it be okay for us to lock in the old? Shouldn't be okay to lock in anyone, right? And why the old anyway, I mean do they spread it easier than anyone else? As far as it being more fatal to them than younger people, if they don't care why should we? Should've just warned everyone about it and let everyone do whatever they wanted.
That’s true everyone has a decision to make

Is this like the flu or nah?
Compare: 2009 H1N1 Pandemic Versus the 2020 Coronavirus Pandemic | BioSpace

On March 17th, there were 93 confirmed deaths in the US linked to Covid-19....as of April 6th, there are 9,653. It is projected that we will surpass the H1N1 death toll by Wednesday. That is sobering. I remember like yesterday when people were telling me that 12,469 people died in a year from the swine flu. Here it is almost three months after the first confirmed case and we will surpass that number. I am afraid to see what the numbers will look like after a year.

No what's sad is that you and the rest of you body counters sick demented minds think that anyone in this country is responsible. Responsibility lies in one place the corrupt Communist government of China. The refusal to alert the world that an infectious disease if this severity had broken out in an extremely populated area of China. When I say extremely populated I mean an area of upwards of 30 million people. 5 million of which were allowed to leave said Country and travel all over the world. But go ahead and cheer for the fact that thousands are dying in hopes of electing a career politician who barely knows his name. You sir are not the problem but you are definitely a symptom.

Reactions: dillyo51
You do realize Doctors are giving it patients not because Trump is touting it right? Who do you think they trust more medically Trump or Fauci? Many are doing it because they are hearing it has some positive effects. It could be ineffective. But when trying to save someone’s life they are throwing everything and the kitchen sink at it. Trump said as much today and said numerous times he’s not a doctor.

You are incorrect.

He said to take it in advance of getting coronavirus. He has NO business saying that. Its incredibly irresponsible.

Reactions: Purple Tiger
if they are just prescribing the medicine without any clinical trials run to see the effectiveness as it relates to covid-19, 2 things are happening. You are depleting the supply of the drug for people that truly need it to treat malaria and autoimmune deficiencies. Also the price of the drug will skyrocket.

The drug has an established safety profile. The patient population that is most susceptible to side effects are not given the drug based off a simple EKG.

Also, in reference to the autoimmune disorders, it is part of a combo of drugs that are designed to “modify” the symptoms, but are not actually testing or curing the problem. The most common symptoms treated are skin and joint problem. I imagine if the medication has a potential benefit in saving lives, the supply will be quickly moved from those needing it to prevent skin lesions.

From WebMD
“This medication is also used, usually with other medications, to treat certain auto-immune diseases (lupus, rheumatoid arthritis) when other medications have not worked or cannot be used. It belongs to a class of medications known as disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs (DMARDs). It can reduce skin problems in lupus and prevent swelling/pain in arthritis, though it is not known exactly how the drug works.”

The drug is not a magic bullet to cure Covid-19. It helps some people with symptoms, and some people not so much. There is a reason scientists are still working on a vaccine and possibly a cure. The NIH just started doing clinical trials about 2 weeks ago. I have an acquaintance that volunteered for a clinical trial with the CDC.

Show any reported data that Chlorequine is not working. I Know anecdotal evidence is all we have so both sides should be making this information public. I have yet to hear that in large numbers anything negative about this.

Reactions: Zues1
clinical trials take a longtime to run and see how the drug interacts with patients that have covid-19.

Uh yes, I'm quite aware of this. However people are dying daily in NY, this was put on a fast track so some fast track feedback should be expected. The few tests we heard about around the world, no matter how small they were appear to have some positive feedback.
If you're dying and the medical staff says we have this drug we could try, I don't think most people would say. Nah i'm not trying some unproved medication, I'll just call it a life.
NY has an opportunity, they are the test kitchen and we don't have a lot of time for months long testing.

The Republicans can run commercials of how many lives Trump saved by being the first world leader to block flights from China (on Jan 31st) and then show Joe Biden's criticism of it when he called such a move xenophobic. Advantage: Trump

And the Dems will run ads showing Trump's daily, sometimes hourly, acts of buffoonery after that.

The drug has an established safety profile. The patient population that is most susceptible to side effects are not given the drug based off a simple EKG.

Also, in reference to the autoimmune disorders, it is part of a combo of drugs that are designed to “modify” the symptoms, but are not actually testing or curing the problem. The most common symptoms treated are skin and joint problem. I imagine if the medication has a potential benefit in saving lives, the supply will be quickly moved from those needing it to prevent skin lesions.

From WebMD
“This medication is also used, usually with other medications, to treat certain auto-immune diseases (lupus, rheumatoid arthritis) when other medications have not worked or cannot be used. It belongs to a class of medications known as disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs (DMARDs). It can reduce skin problems in lupus and prevent swelling/pain in arthritis, though it is not known exactly how the drug works.”

Didn't Dr Oz state that people who are on this medicine are not showing up in any numbers as having tested positive for Covid 19? I know I am paraphrasing

Reactions: Zues1
You are incorrect.

He said to take it in advance of getting coronavirus. He has NO business saying that. Its incredibly irresponsible.

Not trying to instigate, but I’ve seen many of his quotes but can’t find one that recommends taking it prophylactically. Can you show me this? Because that is irresponsible.

Do you know world supply as of 2 weeks ago? Production capacity of people that make it? Their timeframe for ability to increase capacity? You have no idea if depletion was certain or not.

Reactions: vols40

VN Store

Back