Latest coaching decisions should have taught everyone this...

I think that might be the other thing I find most refreshing too... I don't think anyone was driving the bus on this outside of the coach and the ad. AND we just set the market for OCs by paying him more than any other in the nation. Is he that far above anyone else??? Who knows but they got who they wanted after almost two months of getting raked over the coals Allegedly cause this guy said no or they didn't want to pay this guy. Very few people know the truth but a lot thought they did lol.

The OC hiring killed two birds with one stone, so to speak. We ended up with a quality coach (IMO), and at the same time, caused Georgia some butthurt, I don't care what their fanbase says. Feels like the last two weeks are like the moves of CPF of old and I love it.

Welcome to my first post ever and probably not my best effort but feel it necessary to state that the amount of true info coming from the Vols football dept is limited and will continue to be so IMO going forward and this isn't a bad thing.

Brice, Adams, Matthews, VN insiders, et al did not know and will not know what decisions are being made inside the football program or for that matter the AD dept. Obviously CJP has kept his analysis, interviewing, thoughts, and priorities close to the vest and sequestered to a very limited amount of folks "in the know". I also believe ADPF may have been operating under the same principle when he hired CJP due to the way the search was handled.

My grandpa used to tell me two people can keep a secret because if the secret's out then you know it was the other guy whereas if three or more people know you cant be sure who squealed. CJP may not be limiting to one other person but he sure as hell didn't share with many people his OC search or Tee coming back. As frustrating as this is to us as fans I believe its in the best interest of the program to be able to quietly do background work, interview and make a decision without a crap ton of info getting out to the masses. The bi polar view I have on this is what happened with Schiano, Doeren, and to some degree Mike Leach where the info getting out was a good thing.

I for one think as frustrating as this might be for the near term that we have an AD that loves the Vols and wants to do right for the mistakes or lack of changing when he was a coach. Yes this might be overthinking, but how many times have we gone low budget/insulting offers to HCs or assistants or gotten guys raises only to have to move on to google coaches BECAUSE info got released to the public ( in some cases I believe intentionally). It quite frankly makes UT look like bumbling buffoons ( which they were).

I think henceforth it is safe to say that any "insider info" will be spitballs thrown by people who are looking for something to stick so they can say "I predicted that" without a shred of actual info to back it up. The facts of the OC hire kind-of prove this out...
I look forward to the things that CJP has in store for the program and his ability to keep info quiet until they are ready to release it will be in the best interest of the program IMHO. I truly am interested to hear if others feel the same way or if you think leaking info is in most cases a better way out.

Trust me when I say this ….. no matter how tight the lips, if Coach Fulmer tried to hire Greg Schiano the 2nd at some point in the future, or someone so poorly matched to our principals and goals - word would somehow leak out from the athletic department. We today owe a ton of gratitude - to those whistleblowers who recognized the potential hire for the farce and unmitigated disaster that it was and got the word out to our media and fans. I am sure people were putting their own jobs at risk by tipping off what was about to happen - but contrary to what Northern media might have said - a statue needs to be erected in their honor, maybe with a couple students and their pitchforks.

Welcome to my first post ever and probably not my best effort but feel it necessary to state that the amount of true info coming from the Vols football dept is limited and will continue to be so IMO going forward and this isn't a bad thing.

Brice, Adams, Matthews, VN insiders, et al did not know and will not know what decisions are being made inside the football program or for that matter the AD dept. Obviously CJP has kept his analysis, interviewing, thoughts, and priorities close to the vest and sequestered to a very limited amount of folks "in the know". I also believe ADPF may have been operating under the same principle when he hired CJP due to the way the search was handled.
The last coaching search should have taught everyone this.

My grandpa used to tell me two people can keep a secret because if the secret's out then you know it was the other guy whereas if three or more people know you cant be sure who squealed. CJP may not be limiting to one other person but he sure as hell didn't share with many people his OC search or Tee coming back. As frustrating as this is to us as fans I believe its in the best interest of the program to be able to quietly do background work, interview and make a decision without a crap ton of info getting out to the masses. The bi polar view I have on this is what happened with Schiano, Doeren, and to some degree Mike Leach where the info getting out was a good thing.

I for one think as frustrating as this might be for the near term that we have an AD that loves the Vols and wants to do right for the mistakes or lack of changing when he was a coach. Yes this might be overthinking, but how many times have we gone low budget/insulting offers to HCs or assistants or gotten guys raises only to have to move on to google coaches BECAUSE info got released to the public ( in some cases I believe intentionally). It quite frankly makes UT look like bumbling buffoons ( which they were).

I think henceforth it is safe to say that any "insider info" will be spitballs thrown by people who are looking for something to stick so they can say "I predicted that" without a shred of actual info to back it up. The facts of the OC hire kind-of prove this out...
I look forward to the things that CJP has in store for the program and his ability to keep info quiet until they are ready to release it will be in the best interest of the program IMHO. I truly am interested to hear if others feel the same way or if you think leaking info is in most cases a better way out.

I'd guess most leaks don't come from the school's side. Rather they come from the coach being offered, or more likely his agent such as a Jimmy Sexton. That side would typically benefit the most from a leak.
I think an interesting question is: does Fulmer/Pruitt have the clout and take the approach that if this job offer gets leaked to media by the agent, then it's off the table.

Reactions: AM64 and Remy
Pay attention to Brice, and Jayson Swain. They may not say exactly what is going on, but they seem to hint and break things a little earlier than most. Just because UT Athletic Dept keeps things on the DL doesn't mean that other ADs do.
Brice was never close on the OC hire and even made up some BS that Pruitt and Fulmer would have to totally reset the search if we didn't get Freeze which did nothing but fuel our Vol fanatics fire. His contacts left with gym coach Jones.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Any businessman worth his salt will tell you HR matters are never discussed externally or with anyone outside a very close circle of those who need to know. CJP’s staff changes are exactly that, HR matters. When the deal is inked and done, then he announces and moves on. This is exactly the way it should be. IMHO, the whole Schiano debacle stemmed from a leak in that tight circle of those who need to know. Someone wasn’t happy, and someone ratted. Thank goodness they did.

Reactions: AM64
Saw on an ESPN creeper last nite that Butch Jones will remain on the Bama staff. Due to the mass exodus at Bama, that guy may back into a dream job. Geez I don't understand it. Good people toil their whole life trying to get ahead. Some succeed, some don't. Then you have others that ride coattails and screw people over to get ahead, and laugh all the way to the bank. And they still sleep well at nite.
For God's sake, get over Butch. He's gone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Great first post...

Saw on an ESPN creeper last nite that Butch Jones will remain on the Bama staff. Due to the mass exodus at Bama, that guy may back into a dream job. Geez I don't understand it. Good people toil their whole life trying to get ahead. Some succeed, some don't. Then you have others that ride coattails and screw people over to get ahead, and laugh all the way to the bank. And they still sleep well at nite.
Good for UT in two ways...first, will mitigate our payout to Butch and secondly, our master plan of having him on Bama staff is working!

Is there anything to suggest that when the CDM made the statement that the OC hire was 95% done, he was actually talking about Chaney and we just thought it was Freeze (or Briles, can't remember the exact timing).

Is there anything to suggest that when the CDM made the statement that the OC hire was 95% done, he was actually talking about Chaney and we just thought it was Freeze (or Briles, can't remember the exact timing).

No, any coach could fit the 95% done narrative. It’s Miss Cleo or horoscope type nonsense. It’s just vague enough to mean anything.

great_day_to_go_fishing_they_said_540.gif

Nah. I think the insiders were thrown off because the person they thought they would hire changed his mind. May have happened more than once. Chaney was a good recovery, like setting up a birdie putt by hitting it onto the green from the deep stuff. There's no way to limit it to 2 people, lawyers, agents, the person you want to hire, those people's families and underlings.

No, any coach could fit the 95% done narrative. It’s Miss Cleo or horoscope type nonsense. It’s just vague enough to mean anything.
I would not count that out. There is evidence that Pruitt ad talked to Chaney early in the process. Therefore, one can not eliminated the possibility that the 95% statement was correct.I have know Doug for a long time and I have no reason to doubt his information. Speculation about his statement is simply someone's guess or attempt to discredit ones knowledge.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
I would not count that out. There is evidence that Pruitt ad talked to Chaney early in the process. Therefore, one can not eliminated the possibility that the 95% statement was correct.I have know Doug for a long time and I have no reason to doubt his information. Speculation about his statement is simply someone's guess or attempt to discredit ones knowledge.

Yes, back in December Basilio mentioned that Pruitt had talked to Chaney, but the talks died off and we were focused on Yurcich. I think Yurcich was very close to being finished then something (allegedly Helton) undermined the effort. Just rumors though.

Keeping activity close to the vest can be a good thing or could be a bad thing
If an assistant coach, who has a team that is in the play offs in the NFL or in NCAA would not want his name leaked while the season is still ongoing
However, if they are actively pursuing a bad choice, we as fans, would not have time to react to Schiano hire and save the program from making a huge mistake

So, throwing spitballs and seeing what sticks? So, kind of like The Mainstream media? Gotcha.

It the hiring process is done on public and rumors fly around, then for whatever reason, the search is a dumpy one, then UT looks bad in the media. It also gives the fans &,recruits the impression that we don't know what we are doing
Coach A, rejected our offer. Coach B chooses to accept a job at Maryland etc
We look bad

Nah. I think the insiders were thrown off because the person they thought they would hire changed his mind. May have happened more than once. Chaney was a good recovery, like setting up a birdie putt by hitting it onto the green from the deep stuff. There's no way to limit it to 2 people, lawyers, agents, the person you want to hire, those people's families and underlings.
Nah more like hitting outta the rough with the 7 iron, flying the green hitting a tree behind the green down into the trap and have it bounce off the rake up and onto the green for a 6 foot birdie putt.
No way to limit to two people but I think they most certainly kept a lid on this for sure and however they did it worked good. We got a good OC and kicked Jawja in the shins.

A lot of people here were trying to equate OC search to Schiano hire. I agree with OP. CJP is not one of the bad actors that were involved in that (i.e. Davenport, Currie, Haslams etc). Nor even Hamilton or Hart. Those folks are GONE. Amazed me on how (and this is battered Vol syndrome) expected another cluster *f* of a hire.

Under the circumstances, I think they pulled if off quite nicely and under similar circumstances (5-7 last season) have landed a pretty good recruiting class so far.

Did anyone read the "Where the F%&^ is Dan?" story coming from Tuscaloosa? Saban wasn't even aware his OC had cleaned out his office and moved on. Just saying.. instability in that position (OC) late in the game isn't uncommon.

Doug Mathews months ago commented on the same thing. "Loose Lips Sink Ships". He understands what OP stressed. I prefer it that way. Hyams, on the other hand, will have to keep guessing!

GO VOLS.

Last edited:
Reactions: Remy

The Rumor is the Vols have a secret Space Program, but few insiders are aware

VN Store

Back