Latest coaching decisions should have taught everyone this...

bag12day

Welcome to my first post ever and probably not my best effort but feel it necessary to state that the amount of true info coming from the Vols football dept is limited and will continue to be so IMO going forward and this isn't a bad thing.

Brice, Adams, Matthews, VN insiders, et al did not know and will not know what decisions are being made inside the football program or for that matter the AD dept. Obviously CJP has kept his analysis, interviewing, thoughts, and priorities close to the vest and sequestered to a very limited amount of folks "in the know". I also believe ADPF may have been operating under the same principle when he hired CJP due to the way the search was handled.

My grandpa used to tell me two people can keep a secret because if the secret's out then you know it was the other guy whereas if three or more people know you cant be sure who squealed. CJP may not be limiting to one other person but he sure as hell didn't share with many people his OC search or Tee coming back. As frustrating as this is to us as fans I believe its in the best interest of the program to be able to quietly do background work, interview and make a decision without a crap ton of info getting out to the masses. The bi polar view I have on this is what happened with Schiano, Doeren, and to some degree Mike Leach where the info getting out was a good thing.

I for one think as frustrating as this might be for the near term that we have an AD that loves the Vols and wants to do right for the mistakes or lack of changing when he was a coach. Yes this might be overthinking, but how many times have we gone low budget/insulting offers to HCs or assistants or gotten guys raises only to have to move on to google coaches BECAUSE info got released to the public ( in some cases I believe intentionally). It quite frankly makes UT look like bumbling buffoons ( which they were).

I think henceforth it is safe to say that any "insider info" will be spitballs thrown by people who are looking for something to stick so they can say "I predicted that" without a shred of actual info to back it up. The facts of the OC hire kind-of prove this out...
I look forward to the things that CJP has in store for the program and his ability to keep info quiet until they are ready to release it will be in the best interest of the program IMHO. I truly am interested to hear if others feel the same way or if you think leaking info is in most cases a better way out.

I like CJP’s and CPF’s approach to keeping info inside the AD until they are ready to announce. It can prevent embarrassment. Which we have observed many times over the years.
Don’t forget that there are probably other AD personnel with knowledge. And they choose to respect the AD and UT. (and I suspect CJP will sit on them if anything is leaked 🤪)

Great point OP. Posters complain about bad decisions of the past that were made in haste or out of necessity. But bash the current staff for taking their time and making what they believe is the correct or most informed decision for the program that they are 100% accountable.

I don't know who is the best coach, recruiter, or person, but I do like a lot of what I see from the football athletic program. Other than I think that we would all have liked a better winning percentage in 2018. GBO!

Saw on an ESPN creeper last nite that Butch Jones will remain on the Bama staff. Due to the mass exodus at Bama, that guy may back into a dream job. Geez I don't understand it. Good people toil their whole life trying to get ahead. Some succeed, some don't. Then you have others that ride coattails and screw people over to get ahead, and laugh all the way to the bank. And they still sleep well at nite.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to my first post ever and probably not my best effort but feel it necessary to state that the amount of true info coming from the Vols football dept is limited and will continue to be so IMO going forward and this isn't a bad thing.

Brice, Adams, Matthews, VN insiders, et al did not know and will not know what decisions are being made inside the football program or for that matter the AD dept. Obviously CJP has kept his analysis, interviewing, thoughts, and priorities close to the vest and sequestered to a very limited amount of folks "in the know". I also believe ADPF may have been operating under the same principle when he hired CJP due to the way the search was handled.

My grandpa used to tell me two people can keep a secret because if the secret's out then you know it was the other guy whereas if three or more people know you cant be sure who squealed. CJP may not be limiting to one other person but he sure as hell didn't share with many people his OC search or Tee coming back. As frustrating as this is to us as fans I believe its in the best interest of the program to be able to quietly do background work, interview and make a decision without a crap ton of info getting out to the masses. The bi polar view I have on this is what happened with Schiano, Doeren, and to some degree Mike Leach where the info getting out was a good thing.

I for one think as frustrating as this might be for the near term that we have an AD that loves the Vols and wants to do right for the mistakes or lack of changing when he was a coach. Yes this might be overthinking, but how many times have we gone low budget/insulting offers to HCs or assistants or gotten guys raises only to have to move on to google coaches BECAUSE info got released to the public ( in some cases I believe intentionally). It quite frankly makes UT look like bumbling buffoons ( which they were).

I think henceforth it is safe to say that any "insider info" will be spitballs thrown by people who are looking for something to stick so they can say "I predicted that" without a shred of actual info to back it up. The facts of the OC hire kind-of prove this out...
I look forward to the things that CJP has in store for the program and his ability to keep info quiet until they are ready to release it will be in the best interest of the program IMHO. I truly am interested to hear if others feel the same way or if you think leaking info is in most cases a better way out.

Pay attention to Brice, and Jayson Swain. They may not say exactly what is going on, but they seem to hint and break things a little earlier than most. Just because UT Athletic Dept keeps things on the DL doesn't mean that other ADs do.

Reactions: USDAVOL
Saw on an ESPN creeper last nite that Butch Jones will remain on the Bama staff. Due to the mass exodus at Bama, that Dic- head may back into a dream job. Geez I don't understand it. Good people toil their whole life trying to get ahead. Some succeed, some don't. Then you have others that ride coattails and screw people over to get ahead, and laugh all the way to the bank. And they still sleep well at nite.
We can only hope Satan makes Butch a coach. It will lower UT's buyout and hasten the bummers demise.

Pay attention to Brice, and Jayson Swain. They may not say exactly what is going on, but they seem to hint and break things a little earlier than most. Just because UT Athletic Dept keeps things on the DL doesn't mean that other ADs do.
I guess the honor among thieves adage covered the other ADs or Phils relationship with them????
If by earlier than most you mean "chaney to be new OC at Tennessee tomorrow" maybe, but I'm talking about the OC has been chosen or the "Friendly posts" CJP is just waiting til after ESD so the butthurt isn't so bad... I just thought a reality check was in order since no one really called the ball before 12 hours from confirmation on reputable news sources, ESPN ticker, etc as I recall.
I see this as the modus operandi going forward.

Adults are in charge.........FINALLY!!!

giphy.gif

Last edited:
We can only hope Satan makes Butch a coach. It will lower UT's buyout and hasten the bummers demise.

Swain and Tee are extremely tight.
Similar to Fulmer and Mathews.

It also keep the Haslam's guessing... Love it!!!

GO VOLS!!!!
I think that might be the other thing I find most refreshing too... I don't think anyone was driving the bus on this outside of the coach and the ad. AND we just set the market for OCs by paying him more than any other in the nation. Is he that far above anyone else??? Who knows but they got who they wanted after almost two months of getting raked over the coals Allegedly cause this guy said no or they didn't want to pay this guy. Very few people know the truth but a lot thought they did lol.

Saw on an ESPN creeper last nite that Butch Jones will remain on the Bama staff. Due to the mass exodus at Bama, that guy may back into a dream job. Geez I don't understand it. Good people toil their whole life trying to get ahead. Some succeed, some don't. Then you have others that ride coattails and screw people over to get ahead, and laugh all the way to the bank. And they still sleep well at nite.

I think one of the only reasons he remains is b/c he wants a ring, even if he doesn't have to really do anything to get it. I hope Bama never wins another one (Wishful Thinking). If Bama makes him anything other than a towel boy, they are making a serious mistake. As you pointed out the only other reason would be to sit on his buyout from Tennessee for a while until that money runs out.

I think you’re 95% right.

Reactions: bag12day
The bi polar view I have on this is what happened with Schiano, Doeren, and to some degree Mike Leach where the info getting out was a good thing.
until

The Schiano thing kinda of broke the same way the OC hire broke. No one knew anything and then all of a sudden the day of things slowly leaked out. There was a tight kept secret within the department for awhile for the schiano attempted hire.
So it really doesn’t matter how tight they keep things. When things start really going in motion info will leak and we will be able to have our opinion heard before things get finalized.
It’s funny how people have already forgotten that Schiano was thought to have already signed his MOU and simply because one of the higher ups in the school hadn’t signed it was the real reason we were able to back out without having to pay him anything. It was a VERY close call and had the people not immediately revolted when news leaked or had waited for an official announcement we’d be sitting here with a mediocre coach that OSU tried telling us was the greatest thing since sliced bread until it was their turn to promote him.

Reactions: Remy
Pruitt and Fulmer have definitely kept a tighter lid on things than before.

That said, info still gets out (both true and false) since there are numerous parties involved in these sorts of searches. The Yurcich offer got out when Ohio State also offered him. And the info on Chaney got out there since Georgia was also involved. But it's clear that the crazy days of the 2017 coaching search, where we seemed to know everything going on as it was going on (the Gundy meetings, the offer to Doeren, etc) are over. Seems mostly like a good thing, but then I also realize if there weren't so many leaks in 2017, we would've never stopped the Schiano hire, so it can work both ways.

What's more important to me is that Pruitt and Fulmer are hiring good coaches. Jim Chaney and Tee Martin are "A" hires. Butch Jones' best hires on offense were no better than a "C" and some of his hires were F's (e.g. Walt Wells, Kevin Beard). And I think the info leaking in a more "orderly fashion" is probably just a function of a better approach to hiring (as opposed to the chaotic nature of the AD prior to Fulmer).

Last edited:
Reactions: Remy

Tennessee was his dream job and we all know how that ended. He’ll still be the same guy even after he leaves the Saban Rehab and Theropy center.

I would bet my sentimental fishing pole the name Schiano was brought up between CF and CP when discussing OC hire. I can hear Fulmer saying "Jeremy we ain't burning our cornbread again".

Reactions: Orange Swagger

VN Store

Back