Larry Scotts Play Calling

I don't even need to explain last week's performance. We managed to look inept against an 0-5 team likely composed of 1-2 star players that's ranked near dead last in the NCAA. This offensive system sucks and it's not gotten any better over the course of 5 years. Dobbs' athleticism was the only reason why it was an explosive offense at times.

Care to tell me how the worst D1 blocking performance in the history of the sport, subpar QB play, the HC stupid decision to put in your backup QB, how those things had to do with the in game play calling?

Care to tell me how if QB was great, if the OL even bothered to show up, and this game ended up being 45-14, how you would still be on here talking about the plays called?

You can't provide an answer because there is no justifiable reason for not giving it to Kelly in that situation. Florida stacked the box all game long, and it still didn't stop Kelly from making plays. Since you love to defend Butch and his idiotic decisions so much, you can follow him on his way out the door if it makes you feel better.

So you deflected. And then said Butch's idiotic decision. So no, you don't know the answer but still gonna run that richard sucker.

Care to tell me how the worst D1 blocking performance in the history of the sport, subpar QB play, the HC stupid decision to put in your backup QB, how those things had to do with the in game play calling?

Care to tell me how if QB was great, if the OL even bothered to show up, and this game ended up being 45-14, how you would still be on here talking about the plays called?

It's all related to poor coaching, development, and lack of preparation from this staff. The playcalling isn't spectacular by no means, but it's more related to execution where we struggle most. Which again, shows a clear problem in this staff's ability to have the team ready to play week to week.

So you deflected. And then said Butch's idiotic decision. So no, you don't know the answer but still gonna run that richard sucker.

No one's deflecting. There is no logical explanation for not giving the ball to Kelly at least once on the goal line. You're trying to look smart, and in return making yourself look even more stupid.

An "elite" new coach couldn't do much more. Alot of new moving parts.

Heard a caller ask Hyams on the way home why would we recruit a pocket passer like QD. Hyams said he was familiar with the RPO/zone read offense and had almost 300 rushing yards his Senior year of high school. He might have, but he looks really slow on the keeper.

This weekend I would like to see 33% zone read, 33% pistol, and 33% under center. If we don't show GA something completely different not real sure how we win.

An elite coaching staff would know how to tailor an offense around the QB's strengths, not his weaknesses. Like Kiffin did at Bama and Pitt did for Peterman. Thats where you are missing the boat. We have the talent, just lack the ability to properly utilize it. Thats been a problem ever since Butch got here.

Something different? Come on man. We have had 4 years of the same freaking plays. Its so stagnant that us fans can pretty much guess the plays before they are called. The fact is we have substandard play calling and have for years. The only reason our offense has been good these past few years is because Dobbs's legs. If not for that, our offensive numbers would look as bad as our defense.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm going the other direction.

He IS running Jones' system... and mostly Jones' way.

But I think his playcalling has been good until UMass. I personally don't think it was him who decided to keep running into an 8 man front and constant run blitzes. I think that was Jones "challenging" his OL to man up.

If Jack Jones plays better... or QD throws a ball or two better... or some WR's do their jobs better... Larry Scott looks like a newfound playcalling genius.

It is simplistic and inaccurate to lay blame for everything at the feet of the OC and QB. If UT gets better play out of the WR"s and resolves what I think is a pretty big problem at LG... the O is going to be pretty good.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
My pick would've been Mark Helfrich. Not sure how Scott got the job unless it was to prevent him from going elsewhere?

There has been a few suspect plays called in the first four games but what stands out to me is the terrible execution of plays that could have worked. Passes three feet over a receivers head, dropped passes, bad snaps, bad blocking, bad ball security and lack of effort.

True this, for sure....which begs the question about coaching. "Son, if you can't do your job, you will be sitting."

What I cannot understand is why we are sticking with the zone-read with a pro-style QB who is not a running threat...and why we are not already regularly giving the ball to CFA and Chandler and Jordan from the backfield...and why we are simply not snapping from under center with two RBs 4 yards back.

All defenses have to do now is key on Kelly, collapse the pocket around QD and contain him, and cover well to beat us.

We all love Kelly but he should not be asked to carry this offense on his back all season. He loves contact, which means his body is about to take a punishing pounding for the next several weeks. And all it takes is a sprained ankle or knee for JK to be out for a while.

Other RBs should be getting carries...a significant number of carries...starting three weeks ago. They should be in the rotation to keep our offense and JK sharp and to keep defenses off balance.

Somebody please share with Coach Scott. Tell him it comes from the top.

An "elite" new coach couldn't do much more. Alot of new moving parts.

Heard a caller ask Hyams on the way home why would we recruit a pocket passer like QD. Hyams said he was familiar with the RPO/zone read offense and had almost 300 rushing yards his Senior year of high school. He might have, but he looks really slow on the keeper.
There is a myth that has taken deep roots here... the notion that the west coast spread can only be run with the read option and a running QB. LOTS of teams including some in the NFL run it with a pro-style QB. Dormady isn't a statue. He isn't as slow as Worley or even Eason. But you want to take advantage mostly of what he does well... and to do that you have to have consistently good play from the WR's. That's been tough with the youth and inexperience and got worse when JJ was lost. The WR's as a group have to grow up quick.

This weekend I would like to see 33% zone read, 33% pistol, and 33% under center. If we don't show GA something completely different not real sure how we win.
UT didn't run 33% zone read when they had Dobbs.

I would love to see UT surprise UGA with that much under center though. That would truly start to play to QD's strengths and give the OL some opportunities to block simple drive blocks and man on man. It would almost certainly throw a wrench in UGA's defensive game plan.

There are LITERALLY highschool coaches that could go up into the booth and call a better game.

Our formations are so predictable. If you see a certain look, you can almost guarantee it's going to be a pass. Another look, almost guaranteed it's going to be a run.

It is amazing to watch. The level of amateurism is mind blowing.

What I cannot understand is why we are sticking with the zone-read
:banghead2::banghead2::banghead2: UT isn't. They are running the west coast spread. The option is in the play book... along with hundreds of other plays that someone like QD can execute very well. There are LOTS of teams successfully running a very similar O without a running QB. UGA runs out of a shotgun spread a good bit of the time. Bama did even when they had some statues at QB.

I agree that UT should incorporate more plays from under center. I think it helps in a lot of different ways... but just because you line up in the shotgun doesn't mean you are a spread option team.

Reactions: 1 person
There are LITERALLY highschool coaches that could go up into the booth and call a better game.

Our formations are so predictable. If you see a certain look, you can almost guarantee it's going to be a pass. Another look, almost guaranteed it's going to be a run.

It is amazing to watch. The level of amateurism is mind blowing.

There are some tendencies. Hopefully their offensive QC is doing a good job of self-scouting. UT has to start throwing more from the double HB look for sure.

An elite coaching staff would know how to tailor an offense around the QB's strengths, not his weaknesses. Like Kiffin did at Bama and Pitt did for Peterman. Thats where you are missing the boat. We have the talent, just lack the ability to properly utilize it. Thats been a problem ever since Butch got here.

Something different? Come on man. We have had 4 years of the same freaking plays. Its so stagnant that us fans can pretty much guess the plays before they are called. The fact is we have substandard play calling and have for years. The only reason our offense has been good these past few years is because Dobbs's legs. If not for that, our offensive numbers would look as bad as our defense.
This! When QD kept the ball the few time in FLA game. I started screaming don't keep the ball. He looks very slow.

You realize our #1 RB stats are real close to Saquon Barkley stats that is leading the Heisman race right?

And you realize that the OP was referring to the overall performance of the offense and not just to to the stats of JK?

You can't provide an answer because there is no justifiable reason for not giving it to Kelly in that situation. Florida stacked the box all game long, and it still didn't stop Kelly from making plays. Since you love to defend Butch and his idiotic decisions so much, you can follow him on his way out the door if it makes you feel better.
QD audibled on that play. I guess that is CBJs fault.

VN Store

Back