Larry Scotts Play Calling

I hate to be a Nega Vol here but how in the hell did he get the offensive coordinator position? I've not seen play calling this bad since Dave Clawson in 2008. It blows my mind that Butch would give him this position with zero offensive coordinator experience. Again it shows just how clueless Butch is at "being the caretaker" of this school. I feel like our play calling so far has been very bad. Butch could have hired multiple people with more experience and a better resume. I'm beginning to wonder if Butch is actively trying to get fired, so we can buy out the rest of his contract and he can coach at Illinois or some other bad big 10 school.

I don't disagree with appearance of questionable play scheming, but in all honesty I don't know if it is scheme, or having players to execute at high level. We have John Kelly on offense, one really good freshman lineman, and couple WRs have had at least one good game. Other than that, not sure what we have on offense other than what appears to be a lot of unproven potential on both sides of the ball, along with questionable coaching. Still hoping we catch fire and the light goes on...guess we will see on Sat.

2016 Dobbs averaged 8.3 yards per pass, 2017 Dormady is averaging 7.12. We ran more screens in 2016 since we had a more seasoned WR corps with a better grasp of the playbook, but the net result is the same.

How hard is it to grasp a screen pass? Its not complicated

Why are the wrs limited?

It could be a lot of reasons, but I believe a lot of theses wr don't know the plays..I really believe that. The injury to Jennings killed the offense. If Jennings wouldn't got hurt then u wouldn't be seeing Brandon in the slot I feel like they have a choice but to play him at the slot because he knows all plays. People are complaining about Callaway not getting the ball but he has to be able to run more than one route instead of 50/50 balls and come back routes. Now we are in conference play teams know what callaway all about. I listen to Kirby Smart press conference he isn't really worried about callaway he more worried about Brandon because he can do way much more..Wr's are the weakest links. I just don't think its Scott nor Dormady

Ooorrrrrr the play calling is what it is because they run a vanilla, non-imaginative, boring offense or because Scott doesn't know what he is doing.

If the WR are struggling then why are we throwing the ball 11 times in the red zone???

so you don't think its a reason why the offense is so vanilla? it has to be a reason..look at the games again wr's are not getting open..thats why dormady hold the ball to long

Every time I see QD run the read option I cringe so hard. It does NOT WORK with a slow QB!!!!

Those were 2 missed opportunities, but why on earth do you put the ball in Dormady's hands in the most crucial moment in the game when he was shaky all game long?

There is no justifiable answer. Scott's problem is that he is too in love with the forward pass.

I think it is a boneheaded play to throw from the half yard line on first down. I think it is a boneheaded play to run up the middle against an 8 man front. I also don't like running the same play so many times in the game. I like the OC that is continually mixing it up at least until we get at least a 14 point lead.

To those saying this is Jones' offense. So what? That offense has worked well for years.

The problem isn't the playbook. It is the play-calling and that is on Larry Scott.

Reactions: 1 person
You realize our #1 RB stats are real close to Saquon Barkley stats that is leading the Heisman race right?

So if one dimension of our offense is ok that makes Scott a good OC?
Besides, John Kelly gets a lot of yards that other backs wouldn't get. It's not play calling that has given him those stats.

To those saying this is Jones' offense. So what? That offense has worked well for years.

The problem isn't the playbook. It is the play-calling and that is on Larry Scott.

Justin Worley called, said you were wrong.

He also said you could have 25% off your first yoga class at the Rock Hill YMCA.

This offense hasn't changed one bit no matter who calls plays under Butch. It's his and everyone knows what's going to be run pre-snap.

The O put up numbers under Dobbs. But that was because of Dobbs athletic ability. Now you have Dormandy in there who teams don't even care if he keeps the read. Because they can see he has it, turn around wave to their family. Jog easily over to QD, and tackle him for a 1 yard gain.

Butch playing Dormandy and still running a zone qb read system is not on Scott.

You realize we didn't give it to our #1 RB even once on the goal line against Florida 2 weeks ago? JK is a phenomenal athlete on his own, and that has nothing to do with Scott or Butch. If anything they're handicapping him.

And why didn't we? Before you answer, this has been discussed a 1000 times on here.

It's because it's that time of year where Butch contemplates moving his starting running back to TE.

Thank God Kelly isn't any taller than he is. 😂

So imagine what our offense would be like with elite OC coaching?

An "elite" new coach couldn't do much more. Alot of new moving parts.

Heard a caller ask Hyams on the way home why would we recruit a pocket passer like QD. Hyams said he was familiar with the RPO/zone read offense and had almost 300 rushing yards his Senior year of high school. He might have, but he looks really slow on the keeper.

This weekend I would like to see 33% zone read, 33% pistol, and 33% under center. If we don't show GA something completely different not real sure how we win.

This is Worley 2.0. Butch is trying to run the read option with a pocket passer that no one expects him to run and he doesn't.

Reactions: 2 people
He cannot afford to be conservative and simplistic in this game. As tough as Ga defense has looked, if they fall behind early it may get ugly. He's got to show multiple formations and keep them off balance.

Should have got Sonny Cumbie -- QB coach and OC in one package --- using Scott and Canales salaries combined could have easily landed him

You realize our #1 RB stats are real close to Saquon Barkley stats that is leading the Heisman race right?

Just remember the agenda and it will help understand the posts.

While I agree a more polished and experienced OC could have been had, Larry hasn't been terrible and he is still learning on the job.

Just remember the agenda and it will help understand the posts.

200_s.gif

The agenda is to throw scott under the bus?

Butch were not falling for this time.😉

Hire another secretary to run the offense. Please make it a hot secretary too. If we're going to have to watch you throw up on yourself each week. At least give us something nice to look at.

What gets me is that, this is Butch's Offense and that's why all other OC's turned him down in the offseason..... But if Butch is sooo stuck on running this offense, then, WHY DOESN"T HE CALL HIS OWN PLAYS, like Mike Leach, Bobby Petrino, Jimbo Fisher as they believe in their system and won't allow others to call the plays

And why didn't we? Before you answer, this has been discussed a 1000 times on here.

You can't provide an answer because there is no justifiable reason for not giving it to Kelly in that situation. Florida stacked the box all game long, and it still didn't stop Kelly from making plays. Since you love to defend Butch and his idiotic decisions so much, you can follow him on his way out the door if it makes you feel better.

VN Store

Back