Landlord question

Are landlords required to change the locks when someone moves out ? Asking because my daughter moved this past week and she made a key for me and just curious since it opens the main door to the building and her apt -- I wondered what the hell - it must open the other 3 apts in the building also and sure enough, I tried it at one (that is currently vacant) and got right in. So I wonder now if people that have moved out and had keys made, of course they can use it to rob the place if they wanted and the other 3 apts tenants can get in whenever someone is gone -- she is worried and her husband is too -- I told him to call the landlord and install deadbolts on both their doors, but if he wont, can he be forced to do it ?
I rent residential property in TN. I am not aware of any law which requires me to switch locks when a new tenant moves in. But, I've never worried about it because i do it as standard practice.
I would advise against changing the locks without the consent of her landlord. My contract specifically forbids changing the locks. If permitted, she could change the lock to a "programmable" lock which can be reset to accept a different key. Of course, the landlord will require a copy of the new key. But after they vacate, the landlord could reset it to accept his original key. Or, buy new and give key, then remove and reinstall original when vacating.
If her current key opens all the other apartments, i agree with you. It is a huge safety concern.

Reactions: 508mikey
I rent residential property in TN. I am not aware of any law which requires me to switch locks when a new tenant moves in. But, I've never worried about it because i do it as standard practice.
I would advise against changing the locks without the consent of her landlord. My contract specifically forbids changing the locks. If permitted, she could change the lock to a "programmable" lock which can be reset to accept a different key. Of course, the landlord will require a copy of the new key. But after they vacate, the landlord could reset it to accept his original key. Or, buy new and give key, then remove and reinstall original when vacating.
If her current key opens all the other apartments, i agree with you. It is a huge safety concern.
In his situation having four rentals in the same building keyed the same is no bueno. The Landlord should know better than that.

They finally got back to me. They said what was charged is correct for the work but because I wasn’t notified that they would take $400 off the bill. Which seems complete arbitrary. And $800 is still way more than I’d expect for an hour of work to replace a single valve. What a racket

Reactions: VolNExile and McDad
They finally got back to me. They said what was charged is correct for the work but because I wasn’t notified that they would take $400 off the bill. Which seems complete arbitrary. And $800 is still way more than I’d expect for an hour of work to replace a single valve. What a racket
Did you get their admission in writing? Seems like you might have the upper hand should you decide to go to court.

Reactions: VolNExile
You can chalk it up as "stupid tax'...btw, we've all paid it. Or, fight.

Reactions: hog88 and VolNExile

It's about $300 over what it actually costs. Unless you already verbally agreed to the $800 tell them you'll pay $550 and not a dime more, take it or come get their valve back. They'll cave.

The tenant cannot act as your agent. However, under what context did you call RR out? To bid the repair or to fix the issue?
This. Unless you specifically empower your tenant to act as your agent, then the tenant's signature only signifies that RR was there and did some work.
It can become complicated. If you told the RR Plummer something generic like "just get me I good shape" for example, then you're pretty much stuck. There are a lot of moving parts here.
Best to contact a good local attorney and tell them the whole story. First visits are almost always free.

VN Store

Back