Lady Vols vs. Missouri Game Thread

I was told last year by a Lady Vol mom whose daughter played in the same district or region that Cunningham was that way in high school. She said her mother actually encouraged her to hurt people.

I also heard that Cunningham’s mother threatened a Lady Vol fan in TBA today.

She was dirty in HS. And Mizzou has had some dirty players for a while now so she fit in there perfectly. Remember the fiasco back in 2014?

And yes her mom is a psycho. Sophie is, too. LOL. This isn't some secret. But even to the standard observer, with Sophie being the type of player she is (dirty and entitled), it shouldn't come as a surprise.

Reactions: ruvol and T_Vol376
I don't mind Sophie. If she played the exact same way as a LV, we'd all love her. I mean, Glory Johnson's elbows were deadly weapons, but we seemed to overlook it.

If I saw the quote from Davis about the elbow correctly, I'm actually disappointed. Didn't she say something about her not being surprised at who did it? I mean, you lost so it's probably better to just give a vanilla speech about great player, playing hard, hustle blah blah blah.

Wrong ... if she was a LV I hope she would play hard but all that other sh!t can go out the window. No, you can lose and tell the truth at the same time. There isn’t a rule about losing and having to like being elbowed in a face by a player that has that reputation.

Did Glory have the reputation around the league as a dirty player? We know that it isn’t just US as LV fans saying this and it wasn’t the loss either. Anyways Rennia said she wasn’t surprised by who it was which any SEC player would probably say. She also said it’s her style and she plays “hard” so I don’t think it’s the loss and her needing to say that I think it’s being respectful while answering the question. But hey let’s agree to disagree :)

Someone with that swag (but hopefully not the so called dirty play) that we are recruiting is Sydney Parrish. So if we get her and she turns out to be like Sophie Cunningham I’ll let you know...

Reactions: ruvol and T_Vol376
She was dirty in HS. And Mizzou has had some dirty players for a while now so she fit in there perfectly. Remember the fiasco back in 2014?

Refresh my memory... I remember the game with S.C. last year where Cunningham elbowed A’ja Wilson in the face and outright grabbed someone around the neck with both hands and nothing was done during the game.

And yes her mom is a psycho. Sophie is, too. LOL. This isn't some secret she borders on dirty player. To the standard observer, with Sophie being the type of player she is (dirty and entitled), it shouldn't come as a surprise.

Agree - I find her trashy and repulsive the way she acts on the court.

Reactions: ruvol
It's "your". You'd think if you're going to insult someone's intelligence (literally) you'd actually get your homophones correct.

Anyway, you're a Holly stan. Nobody takes you seriously at this point. At least nobody who knows anything about the game of basketball. :)

Lets just replay the events...I made a prediction that was no where near right. I apologized and was subsequently chastised for being a Holly supporter. I replied in what I considered a measured response then was jumped by another Nega queen. I again defended myself then was again attacked and called a fool and told to shut up. All this because I support Holly and don't take crap from Nega children. You people need to grow up. You are jumping on me because you didn't get what you wanted. That's childish.

Missouri made a great defensive commitment to take Jackson out of her game. That is going to happen, so we need to establish other options. As I said before we didn't make an effort to help Jackson out by setting picks. You could see that Jackson was frustrated. I also believe we were out coached just a little and that we took some outrageous shots as well. On several plays, we looked very youthful and made a few youthful mistakes. Though we lost by 10 to Stanford, I thought we played better in that game, than we did against Missouri. As I said before Missouri dictated how the game was played.
I understand the comments in your post. However, I still believe firmly that Jackson's off day was the key to the LV's loss. Holly has no other options for her MVP. IMHO, this young team will go as far as MeMe (a senior) goes.

Also, I believe the defense in this game was better than the defense that allowed 95 points in the Stanford game.

Reactions: ruvol
I wouldn't presume to blame this loss on Meme, but if she had made just one 3-pointer, we would have won. If Evina, or Cheridene, or Jazz had collectively made 3 of the FT's they missed, we would have won. If the whole team had put the freaking ball in the basket, we would have won. We outrebounded Missouri and played 3 qtrs of nearly turnover-free ball, and we got 14 more FG attempts and 8 more FT attempts than Missouri. We should have beat them by 20, but we couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

35% FG, 31% 3-FG, and 67% FT. That type of shooting isn't going to beat anyone in the SEC unless we get very lucky.

Reactions: CPA and gule
Same old Holly you reward Meme with 35mins for nothing ! Make no mistake this team is headed for some serious trouble in SEC play. To me playing Westbrook and Massengale together has not work. Westbrook left all her shots short as beth mowins said and she was correct. I would move Zay to the 2 because she is a better shooter then Westbrook. As for KK if she is hurt don`t player her.

Reactions: WVU05UT09
DwQZDz6UYAAoFub.jpg

I understand the comments in your post. However, I still believe firmly that Jackson's off day was the key to the LV's loss. Holly has no other options for her MVP. IMHO, this young team will go as far as MeMe (a senior) goes.

Also, I believe the defense in this game was better than the defense that allowed 95 points in the Stanford game.

In reality, Tennessee had a bad day, period. One loss does not a season make. I hope not, but this may not be the last game that MeMe has an off night/day. Someone else has to step up. The big issue is that we played Missouri's slow down game, we did not dictate the tempo.

Hopefully, this loss will help this young LadVol team understand the importance of playing hard for 4 qrtrs! I feel that UT finally met that team who was willing to be just as tough or even tougher.
Tough loss... but hopefully a learning experience.

I’ve kinda felt like the last few years with Pat and all the years will Holly we’ve gotten the ‘reject McD All Americans’. The ones that Baylor, Stanford, Notre Dame, and UConn look at and go “Naaaa, we’ll pass.”

Even if they are the #1 player in the nation, ex. Mercedes Russell... UConn evaluated her and said, “Naaa...”

I agree with the one poster that said we recruit the players who have never had to elevate their game because in HS they were simply physically, athletically, and talent-wise so extremely dominate. So when they get to the college scene they don’t put forth that extra effort, cause they’ve never had to in the past...

We need grit. Maybe we need to look further down the Hoopgurlz list, outside of the list, and look at those intangibles such as ‘fire’ and discipline. Consider the UT Men...That’s an example of recruiting more than just a player rating.

There's plenty of fire in these kids...But a fire can become a wildfire

I still think we will lose at least 6 games and probably more. Never know who will show up and when we get in our HELTER SKELTER mode as we do most every game we can lose a lead in a minute. Love these LVs but that's JMHO as always!

Reactions: T.J.
Was anything said about the kid that got up into Holly’s face? Can you imagine if that had been Pat? Everyone just seemed off and subdued, even the coaches. Holly is not very forceful with the players, but the assistant coaches can be and I didn’t see much involvement from them during this game either. Nobody on the Tennessee side, including the coaches, looked like they wanted to be there. They were tougher than us and we looked scared at times. I am glad that we got out of this game without anyone getting majorly hurt.

Reactions: T.J. and T_Vol376
Was anything said about the kid that got up into Holly’s face? Can you imagine if that had been Pat? Everyone just seemed off and subdued, even the coaches. Holly is not very forceful with the players, but the assistant coaches can be and I didn’t see much involvement from them during this game either. Nobody on the Tennessee side, including the coaches, looked like they wanted to be there. They were tougher than us and we looked scared at times. I am glad that we got out of this game without anyone getting majorly hurt.

I am thinking if she had dared to try that with Pat, she would have ended up crapping her pants.... 😆

Did anyone else notice at the end of the telecast once they’ve hi-fived each other, Sophia grabbed the arm of one of the team personnel people, I don’t know who she is, older Caucasian women in a white collared top, and said something to her. Not sure what it was. Then one of the Mizzou people had to pull her away. Everyone kept walking inc their own direction but Sophia walked backed towards that way. Lou Brown had disgusted look on her face and so did Rae, Rae also was saying something and was pulled away by Rae. Sophia must have said something.
Just something I thought I’d point out. Classless players and team who outplayed, out coached us. It’s just sad.

Did anyone else notice at the end of the telecast once they’ve hi-fived each other, Sophia grabbed the arm of one of the team personnel people, I don’t know who she is, older Caucasian women in a white collared top, and said something to her. Not sure what it was. Then one of the Mizzou people had to pull her away. Everyone kept walking inc their own direction but Sophia walked backed towards that way. Lou Brown had disgusted look on her face and so did Rae, Rae also was saying something and was pulled away by Rae. Sophia must have said something.
Just something I thought I’d point out. Classless players and team who outplayed, out coached us. It’s just sad.

Here ya go ... espn has a write up. Seems sorta odd...

http://www.espn.com/womens-college basketball/story/_/id/25700249/sophie-cunningham-elbow-handshake-snub-creates-tension-mizzou-beats-lady-vols

Wow. I knew something was transpiring toward the end there. Maybe not the best example to show the girls but I’m glad she did that!
Hell, one of the Mizzou players was almost mocking holly and clapping her hands directly in her face. And Holly didn’t do a damn thing. Just like her coaching, sits back and doesn’t say a word.

Reactions: T.J. and WVU05UT09

VN Store

Back