Lady Vols vs. Missouri Game Thread

I will ride or die with Holly! She is our coach. Y’all are negavols that just complain about everything! How bout instead of complaining y’all support our ladies!!!! Terrible fan base!!!! Should be ashamed of yourselves!!

^im joking btw. all those fans have killed the great legacy of Pat Head Summit.

Watching the Lady Vols for the past three or more years has been like holding vomit in your mouth. It’s upsetting and such a shame to the monument of the great Pat Summit.

Meme did have a stinker night.
But, she didn't cost us this game.
She didn't try to force offense after 2 q's of no results.
She played to her strengths.
Sometimes that is all you can do for a game.

We lost this game because we played their game not ours and in the 1st half by continuing to accept poor play on the floor instead of reaming the players out for "LaLa land" playing

They didn't look for London to begin with. Her only scoring will come from cleaning the glass and making putbacks or FTs. She kept the score close in the second half doing just that.

I called it in another thread. Tennessee will go as far as Meme takes them. If she has stinkers like tonight, I don't believe Tennessee has enough to overcome that against a decent team.

This was a bad loss. Missouri should not have been in this game at all, let alone come out with the win.
After that put back missed free throw she got the ball two straight possessions, because that's when she found Jaz for the cut. The other possession Porter was guarding.

Meme did have a stinker night.
But, she didn't cost us this game.
She didn't try to force offense after 2 q's of no results.
She played to her strengths.
Sometimes that is all you can do for a game.

We lost this game because we played their game not ours and in the 1st half by continuing to accept poor play on the floor instead of reaming the players out for "LaLa land" playing

Meme averages like 14 pts/game. She had 2 pts in a 2-pt loss.

Say what you want, but her lack of production was a HUGE reason why they lost. Realistically, Tennessee is way more talented than Missouri that it shouldn't need to fall on Meme, but she played a lot of minutes, wasn't scoring points and wasn't playing good defense. Holly should have had her on the bench more.

But, but, but she can recruit

To me--and I am well aware of the stellar rankings of the players Holly brings in year after year--she really doesn't recruit all that well. (I perhaps should also add that my perspective is partly based on watching a lot of Pac 12 games.). Or maybe a better way to put it is that Holly seems only to recruit players whose physical skills have allowed them to overwhelm their opponents in high school without putting in a lot of effort or thought. From one perspective that's a plus, but it seems to me that there can be a pronounced downside as well--namely, that, because they have been bigger or faster or jumped higher than almost everyone they have faced on the court, too many of her recruits really haven't developed--haven't had to develop--anything approaching a decent BB IQ--haven't learned, in short, that basketball is a mental as well as a physical game. Recruiting some players who could actually shoot, and who have become stars not because they are extraordinarily gifted physically but because they have extraordinary basketball smarts would imo do wonders for the team. And, of course, addressing this shortcoming--if it is one--once players arrive in Knoxville would also help.

They didn't look for London to begin with. Her only scoring will come from cleaning the glass and making putbacks or FTs. She kept the score close in the second half doing just that.

I called it in another thread. Tennessee will go as far as Meme takes them. If she has stinkers like tonight, I don't believe Tennessee has enough to overcome that against a decent team.

This was a bad loss. Missouri should not have been in this game at all, let alone come out with the win.

Meme was put on that level by Holly and i called it way back. Holly has other options but refuse to go there. Meme was poor on defense giving up 3`s. and had ZERO points. Holly could have gone with length but no. And if Meme is the face of this team we are in serious trouble.

Reactions: willford65
I'm dying on this hill that the offense should have went through Green. I've never called out, but today she allowed the guards to go one on one all game long. Instead of getting it into the post I think all their posts had three fouls each, but we don't attack that them lets let the guards bulldoze through a packed lane and throw up a wild shot. We run all the plays for E, MeMe, and Rennia, but none to get your post involved they're just there to rebound the errant shots. My displeasure is not on the players it's on Holly for allowing that to happen.

I’m really hurt that we lost Haley Troup to Mizzou! She was a BIG reason Mizzou won this game.

Say what you want, but her lack of production was a HUGE reason why they lost. Realistically, Tennessee is way more talented than Missouri that it shouldn't need to fall on Meme, but she played a lot of minutes, wasn't scoring points and wasn't playing good defense. Holly should have had her on the bench more.

Agree. I would have sat her too.
I also would have gone to Rae sooner and for longer because they weren't banging us in the post and it was a good environment for athletic posts. I would have also been much more relentless on FC defense instead of letting them play their half-court game without interruption. I would have called T O in the early Q2 and chewed out some players for effort.

But who am I

REALLY!!!!! How nasty that sounds. Go cheer for her. I never want a player like that.

Well usually I'm on here bashing Warlick but there's no use in doing that. I don't get that emotional anymore. There was a time I could name every player including the walk-on's because I loved (past tense) this game as much as the men. Not anymore. There was a time when the Lady Vols were great at fundamentals like playing hard, tough defense, FT shooting, valuing the basketball.

Now this program plays with the physicality and IQ of a high school team. Consider that a Missouri player was perceived to be jawing at the Lady Vol head coach. You would never know it by the listless, none 2nd gear attitude of the team. Players during the Pat era would've found that player and been on her like stink on dodo. Well...never mind. A player from another team wouldn't have jawed at Coach Summit.

Would take players such as Cunningham, Smith, and Troup all day long, every day.

Added bonus: Easy on the eyes.

Last edited:
I'm dying on this hill that the offense should have went through Green. I've never called out, but today she allowed the guards to go one on one all game long. Instead of getting it into the post I think all their posts had three fouls each, but we don't attack that them lets let the guards bulldoze through a packed lane and throw up a wild shot. We run all the plays for E, MeMe, and Rennia, but none to get your post involved they're just there to rebound the errant shots. My displeasure is not on the players it's on Holly for allowing that to happen.
I could be wrong but i'm not sure all the one-on-one desperation shenanigans are plays that we purposely run. They look to me more like damn-i'm-stuck-with-the-ball-gotta-do something desperation prayers.

My amazement is that this ragged, disjointed play is allowed to go on for a whole game. I know they're capable of decent offense - they had 18 assists on 27 baskets at Auburn. Why not one of the dozens of paid employees on that sideline is able to come up with an alternative approach over 40 minutes remains a great mystery to me.

Reactions: cutiepie5
I just watched the replay so I could not comment. Poor game plan if there is a game plan, poor FT shooting , to many TOs and yes Meme did not show up. I knew when we were 1 down and having the ball that Mizz was happy campers. Never a plan to get fouled but with the FT shooting probably lose anyway. Just not a fun bunch to watch. JMHO as always!

I also would have gone to Rae sooner and for longer because they weren't banging us in the post and it was a good environment for athletic posts. I would have also been much more relentless on FC defense instead of letting them play their half-court game without interruption. I would have called T O in the early Q2 and chewed out some players for effort.

But who am I

That was my point go with Rae move Zay to the shooting guard spot and i`m confident Holly was scared to make that move.

Reactions: cutiepie5
I’ve kinda felt like the last few years with Pat and all the years will Holly we’ve gotten the ‘reject McD All Americans’. The ones that Baylor, Stanford, Notre Dame, and UConn look at and go “Naaaa, we’ll pass.”

Even if they are the #1 player in the nation, ex. Mercedes Russell... UConn evaluated her and said, “Naaa...”

I agree with the one poster that said we recruit the players who have never had to elevate their game because in HS they were simply physically, athletically, and talent-wise so extremely dominate. So when they get to the college scene they don’t put forth that extra effort, cause they’ve never had to in the past...

We need grit. Maybe we need to look further down the Hoopgurlz list, outside of the list, and look at those intangibles such as ‘fire’ and discipline. Consider the UT Men...That’s an example of recruiting more than just a player rating.

I’m really hurt that we lost Haley Troup to Mizzou! She was a BIG reason Mizzou won this game.

I was just thinking about that, though it seems you all didn't think she would crack the rotation. Guessing her outside shooting would have come in handy for your team. Oh well...

Reactions: SCspur
The game was a defensive battle, however, we have got to get better recognizing the hot shooter and shutting them down. Most of all we have to figure out how to defend the three. We also allowed Missouri to take us out of our game and then force us to play their low pace low scoring game. We also need to set picks to free up our shooters. Jackson was harassed all day and I can't recall a single pick on the person guarding her. We have to recognize that teams are going to try and shut Jackson down and must come up with options. However, before we get on the ledge and attempt to jump off, this was a situation where our offense was off, unfortunately that is going to happen even to the best. We are still the youngest team in the SEC, let's just hope that some learning took place as a result of this lose.

You are 100% correct. MeMe let her teammates down. She is a huge part of the LVs offense. They would have lost to
Auburn if not for her 27 points. Please, please don't blame this loss on Holly. She had no choice but to let her play. If Meme scores 6 points. which is way below her average, then the LVs win. She was 0-12 for the game. I do not know what happen to her. She is the LVs most valuable player. If not, she is close to being the most valuable player. One upside to this loss is that the LVs played good defense. I am not being apathetic.

But who am I

Full court so that their perimeter players could set their feet and square their shoulders before firing away from deep? No thanks!

Mizzou has good guards. The press would have played into their hands, IMO, and would give them even easier looks

VN Store

Back