Lady Vols Softball

Bigkat

Softball is two weeks away. Haven’t heard much about the team. What’s the starting lineup going to be? Does our pitching get back with Rhodes as coach?

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Softball is two weeks away. Haven’t heard much about the team. What’s the starting lineup going to be? Does our pitching get back with Rhodes as coach?
Pitching should be good with Rogers back. They have depth but she'll be the horse to carry them through the season. The main thing with the pitchers under Megan is keeping them healthy and happy. Only one ball and alot of pitchers on the roster and more coming in the next two years. It'll be something to watch.

Reactions: BigDave
I know Ayala is going to be the leadoff hitter that is what the Weekly's said in their interview. Other starters from what they seemed to say are Morgan at first base, Parson at second, Seggern is a starter don't know if that is third or short. Seemed to suggest that Hannon was also going to start and of course Shipman at catcher. That is all the ones that they said for certain but I would think probably Milloy and McCrary might also be the other top candidates. Rogers and Turner and three other pitchers on the roster. Poindexter back to run the bases and three four others that could get a lot of playing time. I think the team is a lot better than their assigned number 23 in the top 25 only time will tell.

Listening to their interviews it seems pretty set in their minds that Ally, Morgan, Parsons, Davis (the transfer) at short, Seggern, then Hannon in left, MIlloryi in center, and Ayala in right. The big question is who will DH it will be hard to keep KK out of the lineup and it will depend on who is hot. May be coach speak but they said Turner had the best fall and she looked it in the scrimmages we saw, though Ashley is still working herself back. Before season take: we will go as far as our offense takes us. (Edit: I am making a bold assumption that our defense returns to average. Turner gets lots of gold stars for having to pitch through that mess last year.) Our pitching is good to very good but not elite. (Love Turner and Rogers no knock on them). The days of slapping in a couple of runs and winning are long gone for us. The cream have both elite pitching and hitting (UCLA and Oklahoma for example). Looking forward to the season and where it will take us. Go Vols!!!!

Last edited:
With the season ending last yr due to COVID, some seniors staying extra yr and incoming freshman. Would be hard on players who figured to be in lineup this yr. Hard on coaches too. Trying to keep everybody happy. The roster is full that’s for sure

I will say one big positive from last year was that if you got hot hitting you found yourself in the lineup. I think Marc probably had a lot to do with that. KK and Webber were both hitting stronger as the year went on which was the opposite to the trend of many hitters in recent years who start hot against the weaker pitchers then fall off the table.

I will say one big positive from last year was that if you got hot hitting you found yourself in the lineup. I think Marc probably had a lot to do with that. KK and Webber were both hitting stronger as the year went on which was the opposite to the trend of many hitters in recent years who start hot against the weaker pitchers then fall off the table.
Will be interesting to see if Webber is in the lineup, heard she was having back issues that could be serious.

The lady vols should have a chip on their shoulder after last year. Returning about the whole team except Holcomb

Reactions: jeebie
They'll look like world beaters with the ultra weak non con schedule but fade in conference play

Lady Vols Projected to Finish Fourth in SEC - University of Tennessee Athletics

Were only showing 22 roster players and 5 are pitchers so not as many as I expected.
22 players split among 11 or so schollies. When you’re ucla or uf you can offer 30% to studs and sign them. They could rebuild if they would identify a program changing pitcher and elite hitters. Looks like they’re moving away from the slapper speed ideology and imitating successful programs. Curious to see what it turns in to. Im not convinced seeing their 2021 pitching commitments, not impressive at all

22 players split among 11 or so schollies. When you’re ucla or uf you can offer 30% to studs and sign them. They could rebuild if they would identify a program changing pitcher and elite hitters. Looks like they’re moving away from the slapper speed ideology and imitating successful programs. Curious to see what it turns in to. Im not convinced seeing their 2021 pitching commitments, not impressive at all

One of the many issues wrong with the NCAA. Baseball and softball are limited on the money they can offer a kid. A kid from Tennessee isn't getting the same number the kid from CA is getting.

Reactions: Exiled and Rickster
One of the many issues wrong with the NCAA. Baseball and softball are limited on the money they can offer a kid. A kid from Tennessee isn't getting the same number the kid from CA is getting.

And try to make heads or tails out of the fact that D2 softball only allows for a maximum of 7 scholarships, lower than D1 and Naia. How the hell do you field a team with 7 scholarships. Not to mention most D2’s are more expensive private institutions.

Honestly...everytime I hear the football players complain about not getting paid actual money to play, I think of all the athletes in equivalency sports that don't even get full scholarships (unlike football players). Most NCAA athletes aren't even going to school on a full scholarship, and then there are the walk-ons that don't get anything.

Reactions: ldyvolsoftballfan

VN Store

Back