Lady Vols Softball

Davidson is the only catcher on the list. She has a all American title already. Monster numbers with her time at Miss. st.
She put up great numbers her first two years. She is one of those players that doesn't look like a player but is. I didn't think about her, though if Ally gets a full season I would like to see her final stats. As you noted they only had one catcher.

How did Ally not make the preseason All Sec team? Ashley and Chelsea made it. Show me a better catcher in the league overall.
the catcher picked, Mia Davidson of MSU, hits lots of home runs --- I don't think that makes her the best catcher in the conference, though. Do any of you?

the catcher picked, Mia Davidson of MSU, hits lots of home runs --- I don't think that makes her the best catcher in the conference, though. Do any of you?
No and if Ally had played all the last two years she would have won the award. Better all around player and more potential in my opinion. If you could have one or the other on your team I think Ally would be my choice. But awards most likely mean siltzh to her. Seems like her family is tight and down to earth! She will be an AA before she leaves and maybe with Amanda next year!

Reactions: Nickid1975
Well managed to sneak into the limited season tickets. Almost at the top of the bleacher seats, but I don't care. Will be interesting to see if defense is fixed and Megan influence on the pitchers. There will be a number of games i won't be able to make it too especially Sunday games if anyone would like some free tickets (2) let me know and will try and work it out. They are mobile this year not paper.

Notified today that I didn't make the cut for season tickets. Bummed but then there is next season when, hopefully, things will be back to normal.

Reactions: kregman
No and if Ally had played all the last two years she would have won the award. Better all around player and more potential in my opinion. If you could have one or the other on your team I think Ally would be my choice. But awards most likely mean siltzh to her. Seems like her family is tight and down to earth! She will be an AA before she leaves and maybe with Amanda next year!

Stats alone speak for themselves. Shipman has yet to play conference, and she’s barely thrown out average speed runners. Yes she can hit, but shes slow behind the plate. Stacking up against her in conference are other catchers with better numbers. She has yet to be fully challenged against SEC caliber runners.

2020 Season

Autumn Gillespie 349 avg 5 hr
CSB 4 SBA 13 PB 0

Jessi Puk 325 avg 3 hr
CSB 1 SBA 3 PB 0

Mia Davidson 330 avg 7 hr
CSB 5 SBA 15 PB 0

Bailey Hemphill 280 avg 2 hr
CSB 4 SBA 4 PB 0

Ally 403 avg 2 hr
CSB 3 SBA 20 Pb 3

Hatti Moore 311 Avg 7 hr
CSB 6 SBA 11 PB 0

2019 Stats
Ally Shipman 328 avg 3 hr
CSB 0 SBA 6 PB 3

Stats alone speak for themselves. Shipman has yet to play conference, and she’s barely thrown out average speed runners. Yes she can hit, but shes slow behind the plate. Stacking up against her in conference are other catchers with better numbers. She has yet to be fully challenged against SEC caliber runners.

2020 Season

CSB 4 SBA 13 PB 0

Jessi Puk 325 avg 3 hr
CSB 1 SBA 3 PB 0

CSB 5 SBA 15 PB 0

CSB 4 SBA 4 PB 0

Ally 403 avg 2 hr
CSB 3 SBA 20 Pb 3

Hatti Moore 311 Avg 7 hr
CSB 6 SBA 11 PB 0

2019 Stats
CSB 0 SBA 6 PB 3

Well to no fault of her own she has not gotten to conference in her first two years. Pitching staffs play a big part of it too. She could fail come conference but I've seen nothing to tell me she will. I will take her bat even if she has a few more steals on her. Looking at the list personally I still would not trade her for any other catcher in the league. My hope is she stays healthy and the season is played. Just my opinion.

All-SEC teams (preseason or postseason) aren't and never have been based on defensive stats. That's what the all-defensive team is for. You can be the worst defensive player at your position in the country but if you put up great offensive numbers you're going to get accolades.

Reactions: volfan__18

2020 Season

CSB 4 SBA 13 PB 0

Jessi Puk 325 avg 3 hr
CSB 1 SBA 3 PB 0

CSB 5 SBA 15 PB 0

CSB 4 SBA 4 PB 0

Ally 403 avg 2 hr
CSB 3 SBA 20 Pb 3

Hatti Moore 311 Avg 7 hr
CSB 6 SBA 11 PB 0

2019 Stats
CSB 0 SBA 6 PB 3

While I don't have a problem with Ally not being named to a preseason team, your logic is flawed. First, conference honors aren't based on defensive stats or ability, except for the defensive team. Secondly, you admit that she hasn't played in conference (which actually isn't entirely true, she had played some conference games as a freshman before getting injured, and did quite well), but then you list overall stats, and stats from a very abbreviated season, at that. As I'm sure you know, conference awards are only based on conference play, and pre-season teams are nothing more than a prediction as to who will be on the teams at the end of the season. This year, I'm sure most of the preseason awards are mostly based on the 2019 season, given how last season played out.

Ashley Andrews was arguably the best defensive catcher we've ever had at UT, but she never made a regular all-SEC team because she wasn't a good hitter.

Also, Bailey Hemphill primarily plays 1B for Bama, not catcher.

All-SEC teams (preseason or postseason) aren't and never have been based on defensive stats. That's what the all-defensive team is for. You can be the worst defensive player at your position in the country but if you put up great offensive numbers you're going to get accolades.

I wouldn’t put to much stock into last year’s stats since there was no conference play. I think we can agree her runners thrown out % needs to improve and for that matter team defense overall needs to drastically improve this year. I expect offensive numbers for UT to be good out of the gate with they’re soft non-conference schedule. The good hitters will separate themselves during conference play.

It doesn’t hurt. A position player gets a few chances in a game to make a difference, if their bat produces runs consistently they would be more inpactful. Shipman has been average thus far and has had very little impact on this team. That can change and she has the tools but she has not forced teams to take notice and game plan around her. Davidson requires your attention and she’s still putting up numbers

I wouldn’t put to much stock into last year’s stats since there was no conference play. I think we can agree her runners thrown out % needs to improve and for that matter team defense overall needs to drastically improve this year. I expect offensive numbers for UT to be good out of the gate with they’re soft non-conference schedule. The good hitters will separate themselves during conference play.
And Im not sure she has a great glove or it is simply not broken in. She had a lot of balls just pop out of her glove. That can’t happen and is frustrating to a pitcher.

Reactions: lvfan
And Im not sure she has a great glove or it is simply not broken in. She had a lot of balls just pop out of her glove. That can’t happen and is frustrating to a pitcher.
and she also was catching Callie who everyone knows was a better version of the big lefty of a couple of years ago. The ball was often a worm burner or a sail rabbit into the screen!

Reactions: Volfan2012
Amanda has just gotten better and better hitting hopefully like a few others her defense takes the next step. She is good but could be great in right. Really liking her hitting approach from last year. Big fan.

The softball schedule on line at UT Sports is a mess. Please have someone call it in and update. Thx! Go Vols!

Looks like from the Coastal site, the Coastal game at 2:30 on Friday will be on ESPN+ which will be the only video or audio of a Tennessee game. They would not let Brian broadcast audio. Live stats is all there is other than our game with Coastal .

Looks like from the Coastal site, the Coastal game at 2:30 on Friday will be on ESPN+ which will be the only video or audio of a Tennessee game. They would not let Brian broadcast audio. Live stats is all there is other than our game with Coastal .
Hate we cant hear or see any of the games but we should be 5-0 when we get back home! I expect some good stats from the LVs!

Last edited:
They also note they are not allowing fans at the games, family maybe.

Year 19 for the Weekly's. What are the expectations now as they approach the end of their contract? 14-9 last year without Rogers, won games they were suppose to. Lost games to the teams we are suppose to compete with nationally and most were not close. Best win in a short season was ASU but a bad loss to ETSU. 2015 was the last CWS appearance, 2011 was our last SEC Tournament Championship, and 2012 was out last SEC East title.

Reactions: lvfan

VN Store

Back