Lady Vols Softball

Why would the Weekly's pitch Rogers in this one? Seems to me it would have been a good opportunity to let the other pitchers get some PT and her arm some rest. Other pitchers can use all the experience they can get. They will be needed down the stretch. Just curious.

Why would the Weekly's pitch Rogers in this one? Seems to me it would have been a good opportunity to let the other pitchers get some PT and her arm some rest. Other pitchers can use all the experience they can get. They will be needed down the stretch. Just curious.
She hadn't pitched in ten days so guess they thought she needed the work. Wednesday they will have to go with a different pitcher, but I bet they still pitch her one of the games. Looks like the plan is to pile up as many wins as they can in the regular season and not worry about what happens in the post season. I think they realize she is their only consistent and reliable pitcher and that probably won't change this season.

Last edited:

To get work in with the time off and the casually allow other pitchers to make the choice to move on.

To get work in with the time off and the casually allow other pitchers to make the choice to move on.
I guess Ashley needed some work, and really it was low stress pitches. I watched the bullpen before the game and during from our angle. Everyone was throwing at some point. Wednesday will be interesting to see who pitches and how much. We definitely need to beat the bushes for pitching in the off season. This is top level Ncaa softball you either get it done and earn it or find a level you can play at.

Reactions: Volfan2012
I guess Ashley needed some work, and really it was low stress pitches. I watched the bullpen before the game and during from our angle. Everyone was throwing at some point. Wednesday will be interesting to see who pitches and how much. We definitely need to beat the bushes for pitching in the off season. This is top level Ncaa softball you either get it done and earn it or find a level you can play at.
Of the pitchers we have now only Turner could possibly advance to a level that would be considered Power 5 and she would have to get there quickly. I think better control and command is her problems. The others I think would be far more comfortable and better able to succeed at the Mid Major level. I have often wondered why we couldn't recruit three top level pitchers. Seems our failing is always pitching depth. After Rogers we are quite ordinary this season.

Reactions: Nickid1975

2022 class is for the most part accounted for in the circle. Portal and try to flip a '22 kid, if not we know how the story ends.

Last edited:
Reactions: kregman
2022 class is for the most part accounted for in the circle. Portal and try to flip a '22 kid, if not we know how the story ends.
Pickens is 23 right? I would say it would be easier to get a decent transfer than flip a top level recruit. We cannot stand pat.

I know the intent was Olympic redshirt but officially all players last year were granted a Covid waiver including medical redshirts like Rogers who did not have to use her medical redshirt because of the Covid blanket waiver.

You made it sound like she played last year by leaving out the fact that she wasn't with the team, hence me pointing that out.

Of the pitchers we have now only Turner could possibly advance to a level that would be considered Power 5 and she would have to get there quickly. I think better control and command is her problems. The others I think would be far more comfortable and better able to succeed at the Mid Major level. I have often wondered why we couldn't recruit three top level pitchers. Seems our failing is always pitching depth. After Rogers we are quite ordinary this season.

Turner was an elite recruit coming out of high school and was ranked as the #15 overall player in her class, FWIW.

Turner was an elite recruit coming out of high school and was ranked as the #15 overall player in her class, FWIW.
One service had Hazelwood as the #35 recruit we were told how I don’t know. I think Turner is good when healthy. The truth is though that rankings don’t mean squat once you start playing. Truth is on the field.

One service had Hazelwood as the #35 recruit we were told how I don’t know. I think Turner is good when healthy. The truth is though that rankings don’t mean squat once you start playing. Truth is on the field.[/QUOTE

Rankings are for the most part inside the Top 100 pretty accurate, especially once’s in the Top 25. But with it said, too many club teams get the benefit of the doubt with a higher ranking. Mentioned weeks ago, TN needs to scrap the current model and go back to early 2000 recruiting and fill needs through evaluation and not the club team system pipeline.

Reactions: kregman
You made it sound like she played last year by leaving out the fact that she wasn't with the team, hence me pointing that out.

I’m pretty sure everyone knows she didn’t play last year. My earlier post said she was a medical redshirt in 2016 and then played 3 years and then had a Covid waiver like everyone else because that’s officially what was awarded and not an Olympic waiver which was intended. I didn’t mean to imply that she played last year. At any rate this is the last year on her 6 year clock.

Kiki last year did not play to her ranking but you could see the potential. Still growing this year but has really raised her game. What was Rylie ranked? Anyone know because she looked like a hitter in the fall and is still hitting. I am impressed by her.

So glad camps are back this Summer! The staff will get a chance to look at some Tennessee girls

These usually only benefit the ones in the pipelines. When you have an overcrowded camp in a limited time you don't get a true evaluation. Cattle call camps are good for social media pictures of their child posing with the coach(s). Do what football and baseball does, have invitation only camp of your targeted 30 and divide the team and play... best on best. I know many in East TN won't go to camps because of the volume of kids there.

2020 class have 3 kids, 2 CA, 1 GA

VN Store

Back