Lady Vols Softball

They remind me a lot of Caitlin Hannon. Both are left handed outfielders, extremely smart, tremendous speed, can stand in and hit, lay the bunt down, or punch it through the infield. I am excited that they chose to come here. I do not think they will have any trouble dealing with comparisons to their older sisters as we have seen before.

Last edited:
Ralph is no longer a coach and she is still bringing in elite talent. She’s doing something right.

Both are in their own way are great recruiters. I’ll say this, Karen has recreated her approach since Ralph has stepped away in a positive way. She’s being more personable and engaging with girls. But let’s not discredit that both relied heavily on Marty for years to be the road warrior.

I’ll go back and say it in a way and I believe Karen listened to what she was being told by Megan and travel coaches. I do know she had an uncomfortable conversation with a coach over the summer who laid it out with nothing to lose in regards to not taking his calls for years but now she wants to speed up the relationship. Believe Megan being onboard helped her in areas she struggled with in recruiting. Chris and Kate will pay in recruiting soon. But just like anything, whenever personnel change happens you can either do the same thing or you can adjust. They adjusted in a positive way, now they have to win as well as manage a heavy roster without turning over too many kids.

Last edited:
Hopefully Malveaux takes over the 3rd base coaching duties because Karen lacks at that job also.
I disagree with that, I think throughout the season I noticed that Karen was a lot more aggressive on the bases. She even sprinkled in some hit and runs and when you have a team that has speed like ours it can cause a lot of chaos. I feel like ralph did that every now and then. No shade to him, I think he loved the long ball. I would like Malveaux to be talking to the hitters as their on deck or even in the dugout because as the game goes on you want someone who is going to tell you how to adjust and things he notices.

Wrong again.

2019 super regionals at florida game 3. Runners at 1st and second 1 out. Karen sends the runners leach out at 3rd for second out Seggren k’s for 3rd out. Bearden hits solo Hr to lead of next inning, which should have been a 3 run Hr if runners hold in place. Cost us a trip to wcws. Wrong ok! Go eat another idiot sandwich.

Reactions: WizardofOz
2019 super regionals at florida game 3. Runners at 1st and second 1 out. Karen sends the runners leach out at 3rd for second out Seggren k’s for 3rd out. Bearden hits solo Hr to lead of next inning, which should have been a 3 run Hr if runners hold in place. Cost us a trip to wcws. Wrong ok! Go eat another idiot sandwich.
I don’t think that one decision cost us a trip. I think the lack of adjustments from the bottom half of our lineup cost us. That was our 6th game of the season against them & we could only scratch 1 run off of kelly barnhill? Dont get me wrong she is a great pitcher but by the 6th game we should have gone up with a game plan & be able to square up the ball more consistently.

I don’t think that one decision cost us a trip. I think the lack of adjustments from the bottom half of our lineup cost us. That was our 6th game of the season against them & we could only scratch 1 run off of kelly barnhill? Dont get me wrong she is a great pitcher but by the 6th game we should have gone up with a game plan & be able to square up the ball more consistently.

It’s not an opinion but a fact that those chain of events cost us a trip to wcws! We beat Barnhill that year anyway so your argument is flawed!

Reactions: WizardofOz

1. You're using one game as your sample size to make your blanket statement about coaching ability, which is insane at best.

2. You incorrectly assume that Bearden gets the same sequence of pitches with two on and two out that she did with nobody on and nobody out, which is also insane.

It’s always been a pretty widely-accepted opinion among fans I’ve talked to that Karen is the better in game coach and Ralph is the more personable coach and therefore a more natural recruiter.

Reactions: anecwnrjcns12
It’s not an opinion but a fact that those chain of events cost us a trip to wcws! We beat Barnhill that year anyway so your argument is flawed!
No you’re wrong, one decision did not cost us a trip to the wcws. What about game 1? So you’re saying that every decision made during game 1 was perfect despite us still losing? If you’re going to hate on Karen so be it, but do not say that a coaching decision is the SOLE reason. It’s a best of 3 series super regional, you have to come to play each game & they did not do that in the first game. They played from behind most of that game. Barnhill also had that 2 seam fastball that she used early in counts that a lot of the hitters took throughout that game in order to use her rise for the strikeout. Why did it take 6 full innings for hitters to recognize that? Not making adjustments and picking up on patterns. That is what I would like to see from this years team is being quicker to make adjustments from at-bat to at-bat. If they get out so be it, but at least you’re showing the opposing pitcher that they’re catching on to their tendencies.

Last edited:
1. You're using one game as your sample size to make your blanket statement about coaching ability, which is insane at best.

2. You incorrectly assume that Bearden gets the same sequence of pitches with two on and two out that she did with nobody on and nobody out, which is also insane.
Your 2nd point is the most valid in the argument. You can't guarantee the same result of Beardens AB.

Can’t wrap my head around how some view games and how each event changes the dynamic of the game or sequence of events. Each pitch, each hit and out changes how the game is played over the course of the game, not one out but all 21.

VN Store

Back