Lady Vols Softball

Bailey showed nothing to indicate she is an SEC pitcher.

Neither has Turner, if we're being completely honest.

With our track record "developing" pitchers, I wouldn't hold my breath in terms of getting a great pitcher from the portal. The last time we got a pitcher as a transfer from a major school it was Aucoin from Texas Tech, who wound up being barely servicable in the circle (tons of walks) and her final year was a hitter only, after Moss came in.

Reactions: WVU05UT09
Turner at least had some good games totally inconsistent though. We need better for sure.

If Turner leaves I don't see her at a major school -- at least not if she wants to get playing time and more scholarship money. WTBS, I thought the same about Sprang (who is a much worse pitcher than Callie), but I guess she was more content riding the pine for a good team (two WCWS appearances) than getting playing time at a mid-major where she belongs.

Arizona coach officially retires. The old guard is starting to move out.

Is that a coach-in-waiting thing like it was with Pat or it is with Coach K? Is Mowatt or Lowe automatically going to be the next HC? Or will they do a search?

If we're being honest, the JMU coach is the perfect candidate for either Arizona or Georgia, but I have a feeling with Arizona being such a storied program, it will probably be an in-the-family hire (which usually doesn't pan out well for the most part).

Also I wonder if Glasgo would be interested in going back to Georgia to replace Lu. He was there for several years as an assistant.

Reactions: Volfan1000
It would be very smart move. At the very least she can find and develop pitchers. JMU has earned her some money for sure.

The thing is she was a good candidate for a bigger job even before this run. JMU is consistently good and I remember a few years ago they were a top 8 seed.

I wonder if Georgia goes after the James Madison coach after their coach retired.

Doubt it.

The issue that is going to come up with her is if this is a one hit wonder or something she can sustain. Someone may will take a shot but doubt its Georgia. Definitely won't be Arizona.

Sounds like Georgia may attempt to poke around the Patty Gasso tree. Whether they get a bite is another. If I were them I'd go big. Kentucky, Tennessee, Auburn are kind of fiddling around in mediocrity. The opportunity to secure a spot behind Alabama and Florida in the pecking order is there for the taking.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Sounds like Georgia may attempt to poke around the Patty Gasso tree. Whether they get a bite is another.

If they're smart they'd call Jen Rocha, who's been very successful at both Florida and now Oklahoma. WTBS, I hope they aren't smart.

Or they could try and pluck Lombardi from Oregon, whose position Rocha replaced at OU.

Dean makes Ralph and Karen look like pro cheerleaders in comparsion. After the Myer mess I guess they figured they had to go a safe route. As we know that thinking kills a program.

If they're smart they'd call Jen Rocha, who's been very successful at both Florida and now Oklahoma. WTBS, I hope they aren't smart.

Or they could try and pluck Lombardi from Oregon, whose position Rocha replaced at OU.

Very few of the top tier P5 programs will be scared to fish on Lombardi while she's at Oregon. Doesn't mean she will leave but until she builds tenure at Oregon or lands at a big fish school like UCLA, Arizona, Texas, Florida, etc. folks are going to poke. No inside info and I tend to think Arizona keeps it in the family but I wouldn't be shocked if they gave her a look.

She has a good AD at Oregon in Rob Mullens. (WVU grad ;) ) Oregon has more money than god. Nike. Facilities are top notch. The issue out there is culture and the challenge it can present to people not from the Pacific Northwest. Its just different...

I can't believe Auburn followed up that monsterously amazing hire in Clint Myers with the wet fart that is Mickey Dean.

In their defense, after the Myers scandal, that program was reeling...... in total damage control mode. Dean had success with Megan Good and looked like the best available option at the time.

But now, AU is statistically the worst team in the SEC after 3 years of his 'leadership'.... I saw some stats yesterday that are mindblowing.

The Myers stink is gone, they should go get a real head coach. Not that I want them to ;)

Reactions: volman128
It came from a very reliable source that it is indeed true. I hope the Weekly’s can find a quality pitcher in the portal.

Stated it a few weeks ago it was coming from one of the LHP, Turner or Maccaran. Not sure they look at the portal only...look for a last minute 2021 to emerge or they go after a 2022 LHP

Is that a coach-in-waiting thing like it was with Pat or it is with Coach K? Is Mowatt or Lowe automatically going to be the next HC? Or will they do a search?

If we're being honest, the JMU coach is the perfect candidate for either Arizona or Georgia, but I have a feeling with Arizona being such a storied program, it will probably be an in-the-family hire (which usually doesn't pan out well for the most part).

Also I wonder if Glasgo would be interested in going back to Georgia to replace Lu. He was there for several years as an assistant.
No doubt LaPorte is on the radar for any opening. Other side of the coin, why go the a Power 5 when JMU can compete and make it? JMU isn't a one hit wonder team as they have shown. She may have a sense of loyalty, much like Dot and not looking for the greener pasture.

VN Store

Back