Lady Vols-Rutgers Game Thread

Lady Vols will be the #1 and they deserve it. Sad to see a controversial win like this...i'm just glad it wasn't in the ncaa tournament.

They were already # 1 the poll was already out

USATODAY.com

February 11, 2008

Women's Top 25
RANK TEAM RECORD PTS LAST
1 Tennessee (45) 21-1 1245 2
2 Connecticut (5) 22-1 1174 1
3 North Carolina 22-2 1154 3
4 Maryland 25-2 1077 4
5 Rutgers 19-3 1061 7
6 Stanford 22-3 1019 6
7 LSU 20-3 946 8
8 Baylor 21-2 885 5
9 California 21-3 819 9
10 Oklahoma 17-4 804 10
11 West Virginia 19-3 736 12
12 Duke 18-6 689 11
13 Old Dominion 20-3 670 13
14 George Washington 19-4 572 14
15 Oklahoma St. 19-3 537 17
16 Notre Dame 18-5 513 16
17 Kansas St. 16-6 417 18
18 Pittsburgh 18-5 361 15
19 Utah 20-3 283 20
20 Texas A&M 17-6 252 21
21 Syracuse 18-4 205 23
22 Wyoming 19-3 188 22
23 Ohio St. 18-6 172 19
24 UTEP 19-2 112 NR
25 Vanderbilt 18-6 97 NR

If the clock were to run normally - the foul would have taken place right as the horn sounded... so it would have been close either way. Judgement call on when the whistle would have been blown.

Exactly. Right as the clock struck .02, Anosike got yanked down by Vaughn. Nobody would have been able to hear the whistle either way because of the crowd volume. Tough call.

the last play, She was fouled the ref blew the whistle, the shot clock is stopped because of the whistle blowing. That is how it went down as I saw it! That is my story and I'm sticking to it!

Agree or Disagree?

the last play, She was fouled the ref blew the whistle, the shot clock is stopped because of the whistle blowing. That is how it went down as I saw it! That is my story and I'm sticking to it!

Agree or Disagree?

might have happened that way but the operator must have the fastest draw in TN.

Another vintage ugly win by PS and the LVs. I love PS--she's a legend!--but she is clueless when it comes to coaching offense and her teams almost never play well in big games. NO matter: they always find a way to win--unless the opponent is uconn. Like the duke game a couple of weeks ago, the LVs were horrible for long stretches tonight, but they somehow prevail. I like good basketball, and it frustrates me that the LVs seldom seem to play it.

they also might have been calling the hack underneath instead of when she got pulled down. That would make it a little easier to accept

Another vintage ugly win by PS and the LVs. I love PS--she's a legend!--but she is clueless when it comes to coaching offense and her teams almost never play well in big games. NO matter: they always find a way to win--unless the opponent is uconn. Like the duke game a couple of weeks ago, the LVs were horrible for long stretches tonight, but they somehow prevail. I like good basketball, and it frustrates me that the LVs seldom seem to play it.

You're certainly living up to your moniker tonight.

huh? :crazy:

Could have been called a flagrant foul... but I don't think that would have made a difference.

I wonder if they ended up breaking the clock. Because it never moved off .2 when Rutgers tried to inbound it.

That is why PS is the Coach and You are the ARMCHAIRVOL! She forgot more about coaching than you'll ever know! The Lady Vols record sure does go against your Logic doesn't it? One Loss all season and defending Nat. Champions, It must be because the never Seem play good basketball!

Did you see her half-time speech. She was spot on. Her team did not execute.

I had to take 3 aspirin in the 2nd half of this game.... A win is a win, but I hope the team doesn't feel good about it.
Candace with ONE knee put that team on her back tonight.... Her teammates were absent most of the night. The LVs should have won by at least 10....

The clock never started... WOW! The officials, the clock operator, they BLEW this one. It won't get a ton of play b/c it's women's college bball, but Rutgers got ROBBED.

I concur.

I hate to see a great game with an ending like that.

ugly defensive struggles--sort of like...tonight, and the duke game, and last year's NCAA tournament games against unc and rutgers, etc. I'd like to see her take her 8 all-america players every year and actually beat good teams by playing great basketball. Doesn't happen. Instead, the games are always wars of attrition--lousy shooting, lots of fouls and turnovers, generally bad basketball. It's her style, and yes, it works.

Exactly. Right as the clock struck .02, Anosike got yanked down by Vaughn. Nobody would have been able to hear the whistle either way because of the crowd volume. Tough call.

Agree or Disagree?

might have happened that way but the operator must have the fastest draw in TN.

As much as I would love to believe all of this..........:no:

There are definitely times when it seems that the strategy is to just put the ball on the rim and start a rugby scrum under the basket.

ugly defensive struggles--sort of like...tonight, and the duke game, and last year's NCAA tournament games against unc and rutgers, etc. I'd like to see her take her 8 all-america players every year and actually beat good teams by playing great basketball. Doesn't happen. Instead, the games are always wars of attrition--lousy shooting, lots of fouls and turnovers, generally bad basketball. It's her style, and yes, it works.

You do know how good a defensive team Rutgers is right???

uhh.. They won. Again.. And Rutgers was the runner up last year... And they just beat Uconn.. Did you guys expect a blow out? A win is a win....

ugly defensive struggles --sort of like...tonight, and the duke game, and last year's NCAA tournament games against unc and rutgers, etc. I'd like to see her take her 8 all-america players every year and actually beat good teams by playing great basketball. Doesn't happen. Instead, the games are always wars of attrition--lousy shooting, lots of fouls and turnovers, generally bad basketball. It's her style, and yes, it works.

Watch much womens basketball? :)

VN Store

Back