Lady Vols - Missed Free Throws

Spook1

Ancient Vol
Does everyone realize that the Lady Vols only shot 40% on free throws...missed 60% of the time. Again they had 16 turnovers. This game had to go to overtime because of the free throw misses. This was UAB too. If things do not improve, the Lady Vols are headed to their worst season ever in the last 30 years. The coaching help by Coach Barnes with one of the players produced results too. The Lady Vols have talent...but no coaching.

Does everyone realize that the Lady Vols only shot 40% on free throws...missed 60% of the time. Again they had 16 turnovers. This game had to go to overtime because of the free throw misses. This was UAB too. If things do not improve, the Lady Vols are headed to their worst season ever in the last 30 years. The coaching help by Coach Barnes with one of the players produced results too. The Lady Vols have talent...but no coaching.

😂 worst season ever may be a stretch. Not saying it may not be unbearable but worse season ever 🤔?

By the way while they were COMPLETELY outplayed the vast majority of the game UAB is picked to win their conference (yes they are a midmajor team and NO I’m not setteling for being mediocre). I am over the missed free throws and turnovers they make me cringe every time they happen. However, they cut down the turnovers drastically in the second half and KK played well and I was surprised she played 35 min 😄 that’s a plus. However 3-11 from the free throw line is not ok!

Last edited:
Reactions: Only1COJ and ruvol
The coaching help by Coach Barnes with one of the players produced results too. The Lady Vols have talent...but no coaching. - spook it also takes talent to read a box score 3 - 11 and write the above sentence

Can someone that watched the game tell us if Massengill and Westbrook were on the floor at the same time and if so, did Massengill play point? The box score indicated Massengill played 30 minutes.

High turnover to assist ratio is patented Holly basketball. That offense is easy to guard so every pass is contested. This is the only offense she knows so hold on to your hat.

Yeah, great results. Last year, Westbrook shot 51% from the line. After working with Barnes, this year she's shooting 43%.

Can someone that watched the game tell us if Massengill and Westbrook were on the floor at the same time and if so, did Massengill play point? The box score indicated Massengill played 30 minutes.

Yes, Westbrook and Massengill played together part of the time and shared PG duties.

Yeah, great results. Last year, Westbrook shot 51% from the line. After working with Barnes, this year she's shooting 43%.

Yes, Westbrook and Massengill played together part of the time and shared PG duties.

They did play together but...... I think E would yield to Jaz playing point and it seems like E preferred the wing ??? JMO

Zaay is not a true point guard ! However, she is not waiting on someone to take the ball... she is going to the basket and not waiting on anyone. I love that about her, but sometimes a little careless.😁

The sky is not falling we can put a team on the floor that can make free throws at a high enough percentage. Some players do have to play with a higher IQ. We do have to improve dramatically in every phase of the game. We will win over 20 games again this season. My projection is 23 and 6 regular season. We really played well last quarter and overtime with the combination of Massengill, Westbrooks, Davis, Jackson and Green on the floor. We outscored them by 16 points after losing the first three quarters by 12. Davis has to get her mindset up that she is the go to player. Westbrooks has to understand she is not a passing genius she can pass but not through a packed in zone. Green has to get control of her nerves you can't play when your nervous and shaky. MeMe is playing the best ball of her career. Massengill could be the player that leads us to the best offense we've had in years if given the chance.

They did play together but...... I think E would yield to Jaz playing point and it seems like E preferred the wing ??? JMO

Zaay is not a true point guard ! However, she is not waiting on someone to take the ball... she is going to the basket and not waiting on anyone. I love that about her, but sometimes a little careless.😁
I think Holly has decided that Massengill and Westbrooks are going to be on the floor together when the game is on the line. MeMe and Davis are outside shooting options then take your choice between KK and Green with Green being the better option when you need to make free throws late in the game.
Collins, Z Green and Burrell will all get minutes and rest the other players. Harris will play when we have a large lead or were playing an opponent that where we play two groups of players together.

One thing I believe Holly learned from the Junkanoo was that if you need to make a run it is Massengill, Westbrooks, Davis, Jackson and a Big. Definitely our best five together they made huge plays and runs to overcome both Clemson and UAB. This should be our starting lineup and the players that are on the floor down the stretch of every game. I think they will be because they delivered in the last two game bigtime.

Reactions: Benionsopinion

tenor.gif

I foresee at least 10-12 loses with this team. Why can other teams have freshmen come in and play like they have been playing there for three years.

Reactions: olddog
Do you realize this has been in several other threads? Why start a new negative thread when there are plenty for you to complain on?

I find it amusing that some jump on CRB helping Westbrook with her jump shot and then spit out her stats for free throws. I have a little news for them. They are two totally different things. Some people just love to jump on the bad stuff and try to twist everything to the negative. The staff is still making some mistakes. I'll never understand not calling a time out to kill a run by the other team. I was livid in the last game when they played Davis in the first half with two fouls and let her get her third. That was stupid. Luckily she didn't foul out and ended up as a key factor in pulling the game out of the fire. You should never go to the locker room in the first half with timeouts in your pocket if you are getting handled. This lack of use I don't understand and I never will but I'm not getting paid to coach anybody so what do I know?

You know timeouts can be an effective deterrent to runs.
You know taking a player out that has two fouls is a standard.

That's two for two in my book.

Reactions: Ladyvol777
The last game we played vs UAB we waited to long to make corrections get the team playing on the right track. Bad play in the first quarter and we didn't make any adjustments to correct the situation. Of course we won the game but when your playing that badly early got to get problems corrected and players not getting it done out of the lineup. Oklahoma State coming up at their place we should win bad play early and getting down by double digits will be our first loss.

Brett Kavanaugh is available for FT coach. Then he can go back to his day job.

VN Store

Back