Lady Vols add Farragut standout from transfer portal (Avery Strickland)

I agree. I believe that the LVs will get that kind of production, as well as solid defense, from Ace. Ace is a great pick up for the LVs. GBO.

For context, any one scoring 8-12 pts. per game would have been the 3rd leading scorer on last season's team. Tess averaged 7.4 (on 27 minutes per game); Key in her 9 games averaged 8.4 pg (on 19 minutes per game).

To me, we had 3 players, Tess, Sara, and Justine, who came to the team, and their comfort zone for scoring was away from the basket. Tess and Sara have worked on adding layups, and they still don’t look comfortable and neither dribble very much, and Justine may be gone. That’s the difference I see in the videos of Avery’s play. Yes, she can make 3 point shots, but she can also dribble to create her shot, or drive for a layup. She will be much harder for an opponent to defend.

To me, we had 3 players, Tess, Sara, and Justine, who came to the team, and their comfort zone for scoring was away from the basket. Tess and Sara have worked on adding layups, and they still don’t look comfortable and neither dribble very much, and Justine may be gone. That’s the difference I see in the videos of Avery’s play. Yes, she can make 3 point shots, but she can also dribble to create her shot, or drive for a layup. She will be much harder for an opponent to defend.

I’m so confused where everyone is getting that she can handle and create?

I watched all of her game film from Pitt. I never saw her handle the ball except for a dribble or two before passing. Never saw her create and finish at the rim once. She does do a nice job cutting to the rim when unguarded but had a hard time finishing.

I’m glad she’s on the team and gets to come home. I think posters need to be very careful making her out to be more than she is. She’s a depth recruit at best.

Hope she proves me wrong, but I don’t see her playing more than 3-5 minutes or we are in trouble.

I watched all of her game film from Pitt. I never saw her handle the ball except for a dribble or two before passing. Never saw her create and finish at the rim once. She does do a nice job cutting to the rim when unguarded but had a hard time finishing.

I’m glad she’s on the team and gets to come home. I think posters need to be very careful making her out to be more than she is. She’s a depth recruit at best.

Hope she proves me wrong, but I don’t see her playing more than 3-5 minutes or we are in trouble.
I do t know where they are getting that either, I’ve never seen her dribble and create once.

Ok, picked out a Pitt game, which shows some of what Avery can do.

On YouTube, Pitt vs. Loyola Maryland, a highlight video a little over 8 minutes.

2nd Qtr.

6:23 rebound and putback
4:05 3 pts
2:55 dribbles and creates her jump shot
1:55 dribbles and creates shot closer to basket

3rd Qtr.

3:35 dribbles down court on fast break and passes
2:55 3 pts
1:55 initiates fast break

4th Qtr.

9:20 dribbles down court and passes for assist
7:50 dribbles down court, does turn around move, and scores
6:21 3 pts., dribbles, takes a step back, and scores

Last edited:
Looking for clues....Can she create her own shot?.....Can she improve her free throw shooting?......Is she going to help the LVs?

I've never seen a transfer player so scrutinized...
giphy.gif

She will be a very good player. She has more talent than all but three/four of the current roster.

Ok, picked out a Pitt game, which shows some of what Avery can do.

On YouTube, Pitt vs. Loyola Maryland, a highlight video a little over 8 minutes.

2nd Qtr.

6:23 rebound and putback
4:05 3 pts
2:55 dribbles and creates her jump shot
1:55 dribbles and creates shot closer to basket

3rd Qtr.

3:35 dribbles down court on fast break and passes
2:55 3 pts
1:55 initiates fast break

4th Qtr.

9:20 dribbles down court and passes for assist
7:50 dribbles down court, does turn around move, and scores
6:21 3 pts., dribbles, takes a step back, and scores

Did they sell tickets???Gym is empty..

If you have the right point guard and cutters...you can minimize dribbling. But, you have to have an offensive scheme that plays to the strength of the players you have. Czinano rarely dribbled. Same with defense. If you have average defenders with average mobility consider zone. There are certain characteristics and or habits of players that aren't likely to change no matter how much you practice.

At least with the new “woke” agenda, Tennessee is definitely looking inclusive and diversified!

VN Store

Back