Lady Vols add Farragut standout from transfer portal (Avery Strickland)

Who is Avery Strickland and how was she ranked as a high school player? I know she played as a freshman at Pitt. Does this add anything to what we already have? We need more than spare parts. I really hope this young lady has the potential to help us.

Considering she had a very weak team to support her, I think this is a decent pickup (tho I wonder if she was truly best available)

Bit of a risk 1/1 AT ratio 38% shooting

Not really standing out but hard to say on a team that was pretty bad (but played in a power conference)

Hometown girl, hope she does well here

Considering she had a very weak team to support her, I think this is a decent pickup (tho I wonder if she was truly best available)

Bit of a risk 1/1 AT ratio 38% shooting

Not really standing out but hard to say on a team that was pretty bad (but played in a power conference)

Hometown girl, hope she does well here
43% from 2 34% from 3 is good her 3 pt usage was just really high she’s also just a freshman

Kelly has tried to only get the top names before and was left with an empty recruit bag. We have some possible additional options but we also have room for someone like Ace who is already committed, a Knoxvillian, is still very early in her career, and will help with depth early on and who knows the trajectory in the future. Glad to have her on board!

If true she has good taste. Do u know her? Did she say this?

Personal: Born March 29, 2004… Daughter of Anissa Strickland… Has three siblings, Alayna, Cameron and Carson… Her brother Cameron played college baseball at Tennessee and ETSU… Lists her favorite athletes as Diamond DeShields and Paige Bueckers… Her favorite TV show is Vampire Diaries… Undecided major at Pitt.

Avery Strickland - Women's Basketball - Pitt Panthers #H2P

Kelly has tried to only get the top names before and was left with an empty recruit bag. We have some possible additional options but we also have room for someone like Ace who is already committed, a Knoxvillian, is still very early in her career, and will help with depth early on and who knows the trajectory in the future. Glad to have her on board!

This! You said it perfectly. It doesn't impact bringing in others who may have more press or shine. But Ace doesn't hurt the team by adding her and we still have 5 flippin' scholarships available lol

First, WELCOME AVERY! Will enjoy watching you show what a Tennessee girl can do!

For those of us who would like to learn about some of your accomplishments so far, here’s a small list. You’ve won accolades in three sports, so you’re quite an athlete, and one thing I noticed while watching some of your video, is that you are able to dribble across court, stop, and quickly make a jumper. We need someone who can do this, rather than stand and wait to attempt a 3 point shot. So, here is some info for everyone. Happy you’re a Lady Vol, Avery!

Avery Strickland

Farragut High School

Closed out her senior season averaging 17.8 points, 6.3 rebounds, 2.2 assists and 1.5 steals while shooting 48% from the floor as her squad went 28-9… Earned All-State and All-Region honors as a junior and senior while also being tabbed All-District four times during her impressive career… Named to the All-State Tournament Team after posting 31 points and nine boards in the Admirals’ state semifinal victory as a senior… Tabbed First Team Knox News All-PrepXtra as a junior and senior while also being named Tennessee high school Player of the Year following her junior campaign (2021)… Also earned All-State honors in softball in 2021 and Track & Field in 2022.

As a Freshman at Pitt, 115 of her 183 attempts were from 3 point range, and she averaged 33.9% from 3 point range. In 30 games, Ace averaged only one turnover per game, but only took 16 free throws, of which she made half.

Avery is coming home, and I welcome her. It’s entirely possible she will show the Sophomore jump in production, once she acclimates to the Lady Vol team, that we have seen other players make from their Freshman to Sophomore years.

GO AVERY!

Personal: Born March 29, 2004… Daughter of Anissa Strickland… Has three siblings, Alayna, Cameron and Carson… Her brother Cameron played college baseball at Tennessee and ETSU… Lists her favorite athletes as Diamond DeShields and Paige Bueckers… Her favorite TV show is Vampire Diaries… Undecided major at Pitt.

Avery Strickland - Women's Basketball - Pitt Panthers #H2P
Oh I love that and Diamond DeShields!!

Thank you for saying this! When she goes after all the top recruits and they decide to go elsewhere she can't recruit and when she goes after the players who truly want to be Lady Vols its she only wants players that aren't good. She is damned if she do, and damned if she doesn't

When she goes after all the top recruits and they decide to go elsewhere she can't recruit and when she goes after the players who truly want to be Lady Vols its she only wants players that aren't good. She is damned if she do, and damned if she doesn't
That's bc the program is in a transition period of what kind of player they recruit. In the offseason, we want KJH to give middling players a chance, then during the season we're mad at her bc she has them.

Of course it's been a major snag that so far, with the notable exception of Rickea, the top recruits have not chosen to come here. We're in the cycle where you have to win to get the top players but you need top players to win. KJH's just going to have to break thru and find a way to win big games, hopefully beginning this coming year.

As far as this latest signee, I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I don't think anyone thinks she'll figure in the main plans, maybe she'll be a really good scout team player like Edie. Maybe she'll shock the world.

But we still need to get back to serious biz in the portal.

One thing, I won't ever refer to her as Ace. There is, and always will be, room for only one Ace in my LV life, and that is Ms. Clement.

I am for giving the young lady a chance. It seems she was a star athlete at the high school level. Just maybe in the right environment she will become a breakout star. I certainly do think we should judge her from what happened on a bad team.

43% from 2 34% from 3 is good her 3 pt usage was just really high she’s also just a freshman
40% 3 point shooting doesn't get you in the Top ten 3 point shooters in the SEC. Tess's 42% was 6 or 7th. 34% from three is you shouldn't be shooting the 3 and/or relying on it as part of the offense.

Reactions: b_gann

VN Store

Back