Lady Vols add Farragut standout from transfer portal (Avery Strickland)

No, although some fans here fell in love with her and said she should have been a priority, she was not a blue chip prospect to put it lightly...
Yeah 10+ P5 offers out of high school and was ranked on a few recruiting sites. ASGR being her highest. Some forget Covid really screwed 2022s summer visibility. Alas this doesn’t matter

Attachments

• 41D371FD-67E7-4585-922C-1DA25235414C.jpeg
    41D371FD-67E7-4585-922C-1DA25235414C.jpeg
    128.8 KB · Views: 42
Actually Ace being from Knoxville area is a plus for the team for many reasons.
Thanks for signing up Ace. Looking forward to your great success and what you add to the team.
I was disappointed when she signed with Pitt out of high school. Very happy to have her back in Knoxville and UT. I think she will be a big asset to the team.

Last edited:
Avery had the good fortune to spend her formative freshman season in a program she could get a decent amount of playing time.

Say Kellie had signed her as a high schooler. She would very likely have spent her freshman season on the end of the bench with the others the minutes crunch affected the most.

Instead, she’ll be coming to Tennessee as a sophomore with game experience and, maybe just as important, some extra life experience. All the freshman adjustment period stuff isn’t going to be something the staff will have to worry about with Avery. That’s behind her already.

And people should not underestimate the potential power behind Strickland coming home to her beloved Tennessee. Getting this opportunity probably feels like a dream come true, and there is unlikely to be any player on the team working any harder than Avery this season. Maybe Edie will come close!

Raucous crowd here. Every player has strengths and weaknesses. EVERY player. Coaches get paid to scheme to utilize their strengths and to improve or hide (compensate) their weaknesses. The coach is the Chef. The players are the ingredients available. Basketball is a TEAM sport.

I’ve been watching some film on Avery and she’s significantly quicker than what I’d thought she was before watching. But two things really stood out: 1. She instinctively boxes out, and she’s physically strong and 2. Her on-court body language is fantastic. She wears her great attitude on her sleeve and will be a terrific teammate.

Another thing I liked was she shoots that three with confidence. Half the battle is won when a kid is confident. I can always spot one who shoots with the phrase “I HOPE I don’t miss” on loop in their minds. I’m confident Avery isn’t worrying about it, which is great.

I’ve been watching some film on Avery and she’s significantly quicker than what I’d thought she was before watching. But two things really stood out: 1. She instinctively boxes out, and she’s physically strong and 2. Her on-court body language is fantastic. She wears her great attitude on her sleeve and will be a terrific teammate.

Another thing I liked was she shoots that three with confidence. Half the battle is won when a kid is confident. I can always spot one who shoots with the phrase “I HOPE I don’t miss” on loop in their minds. I’m confident Avery isn’t worrying about it, which is great.
Experience and confidence….we just lost a kid in JP that had neither.

Reactions: Voluble2
yes,,, neither a chance to get into the flow of a game and "no confidence in her"

Just wait and see.....
You said the same thing about another kid you were working with and she's heading to Wofford. Not denying that she had potential but potential is only that if you aren't showcasing what you can do. She got in and the chances she was in, she didn't produce. We can talk flow of the game, playing defense doesn't require getting into the flow, neither does boxing out or rebounding. How well did she do in those areas?

It has been pathetic how criticized Ace has been on this board. Being all state in more than one sport and then it being assumed that how we could get such unathletic player. No one including Kelly has said that she is going to be the savior of the team nor is it the end of the portal season. It is not fair to take your rage at Kelly onto her. We need some youngsters on this ream for future years.

You said the same thing about another kid you were working with and she's heading to Wofford. Not denying that she had potential but potential is only that if you aren't showcasing what you can do. She got in and the chances she was in, she didn't produce. We can talk flow of the game, playing defense doesn't require getting into the flow, neither does boxing out or rebounding. How well did she do in those areas?
and we have yet to see what she is capable of at her new school....till then,,,,

She was an Adidas All American 400 runner. Sub 1 min average 400 in HS and 56 fastest. Pretty sure she was sub state in both Shot put and Pentathlon.

Penthalon : 100 meter hurdles , high jump, shot put , long jump , 800 meters ( 1/2 mile for you unknowing )…Completed in one day (now )? A test of speed , strength, agility, and endurance! You have to be very athletic to compete!!!!!!!!
Our own Wynn is this type of track athlete also … might help some to compare this type of athlete! I hope this helps some realize certain abilities.

Speed + endurance.

400 is no picnic. It's basically like a controlled, one-lap sprint.

400 used to be a controlled pace and finish strong…,, Not anymore It’s now another sprint …. An all out go as fast as you can for one lap (400) meters … 100 and 200 meters used to be considered the sprints and 400 , 800, and mile as distance races in high school! But now … the 400 is another sprint ! The hardest sprint race you can compete in ! Anyone that has EVER RAN A 400….. will know and appreciate another athlete that attempted this race. This is hard on your body…, This is a special athlete and deserves our admiration. JMO

VN Store

Back