Lady Vol Basketball Strength and Conditioning

EarlVolFan

Not trying to be critical here, because I know nothing about the mechanics of athletic strength and conditioning programs in college athletics, but I have noticed two things this year...

1) Our team seemed to run out of energy during games this year, especially in the tournaments. I realize the lack of depth due to injuries and substitution patterns could contribute greatly to this, and

2) The players who transferred out (Jazmine Massengill, Evian Westbrook, Zaay Green) seem to be significantly leaner at their new programs, where it appears that Marta Suarez actually gained weight during her first season here...and yes, I've seen all the aforementioned in person this season, so it's not about camera angles or lighting.

What say you, old VolNation experts?

First, no expert...
Many years ago (late 70's) early one football game day I was wandering above the football field on the side of "the hill". All at once here came a group of really tall women running up a sidewalk. (I do mean up) they all had on ankle weights. Turned out Pat had them doing this several times a week to help them develop strength and quickness. One of the girls slowed to an in place jog to talk for a few seconds. She said Pat said that this type of exercise was training the muscle groups that they would be using on the court. She said that I should see their jumping routine. But that the real training came with the total body building program that was much like the military used. Hummmmm....
I have said for a good while that our program just did not have a very good condition program. Surly Kellie has lived some of Pats training and knows how to install it. I just wonder if the players in the program would or maybe have not bought into this approach or if Kellie has even tried to install this type of routine. Here again c-19; maybe this stopped any attempt to have this type of training.

Today’s girls train differently than years past. One size fits all training is not the way but because of limitations and money you get what you’re willing to pay for as a program. Strength is important but so is mobility, agility and flexibility. Cardio is a given but so is nutrition. Last and maybe the difference is self accountability.

Reactions: allenfan1
I just keep thinking about the players we know contracted COVID-19 and how many other health challenges the team may have faced in the pre-season and during the season that we don't even know about...certainly could've affected conditioning, whether players were recovering from COVID, or lost time from what would've been normal offseason of strength and conditioning. I'm hoping for a somewhat-back-to-normal offseason this year so everyone can get healthy and work on their games (and get vaccinated!).

I’ve felt that for a long time that it never seems like any of our girls gain any strength. They come in skinny, and weak and leave skinny and weak or come in big and chunky and stay big and chunky. There doesn’t seem to be any development of the players bodies while they are here. Maybe it’s like that all over and I simply notice it because I follow the ladies. Or maybe I’m completely wrong. That’s certainly an option too.

I agree with most of the above. Having been involved with both basketball and football officiating for 40+ yrs at both the high school and collegiate levels, I have a pretty good idea of players who are in shape and those who are not. The games have evolved and so has the physicality of the players. Refs letting them play but do call a lot of touch fouls, especially on made baskets. But they now tend to let a lot of rough play go on, especially in the paint so players need to be physical. Didn't see that with the Lady Vols. Maybe that is the reason they are referred to as the Lady Vols. To be successful today, the game demands strong, fast players that can get up and down the court. A lot of players can leave one baseline, go to the other and be halfway back to the one they started from before Key,Suarez and a couple of others get to the first line. Kind of like the old sucide drills and yes referees go through them also, especially those who care about their appearance on the court or field and pride themselves in being able to cover the play. Almost 80 here in the DC suburbs today. I do believe spring has sprung!

Reactions: EarlVolFan
Not trying to be critical here, because I know nothing about the mechanics of athletic strength and conditioning programs in college athletics, but I have noticed two things this year...

1) Our team seemed to run out of energy during games this year, especially in the tournaments. I realize the lack of depth due to injuries and substitution patterns could contribute greatly to this, and

2) The players who transferred out (Jazmine Massengill, Evian Westbrook, Zaay Green) seem to be significantly leaner at their new programs, where it appears that Marta Suarez actually gained weight during her first season here...and yes, I've seen all the aforementioned in person this season, so it's not about camera angles or lighting.

She was slow to begin with and got slower as the season went along, if she wants to be the player everyone thinks she can be she certainly needs to sacrifice and get in shape

I just keep thinking about the players we know contracted COVID-19 and how many other health challenges the team may have faced in the pre-season and during the season that we don't even know about...certainly could've affected conditioning, whether players were recovering from COVID, or lost time from what would've been normal offseason of strength and conditioning. I'm hoping for a somewhat-back-to-normal offseason this year so everyone can get healthy and work on their games (and get vaccinated!).
Everyone faced the same challenges

Reactions: glv98

I am not sure KK would have played very much if Pat had not been called away.

Everyone faced the same challenges

Figured this would be someone’s response. Did every team have star players with COVID? Did every team play in Tennessee, a state consistently in the top 5 for COVID rate? Do you have some sort of insider knowledge about the resources our players had when much of the country shut down vs. other teams?

Regardless, this wasn’t the point, my comment was about the Lady Vols, and just wondering how COVID-related challenges may have affected certain individuals on our team.

Conversely, Rae Burrell changed her body this year. She appeared to be leaner and stronger, but I wonder if her own off-season conditioning was responsible? I know from social media that Jordan Horston worked hard in the off-season as well and was noticeably leaner and stronger this year also.

Reactions: Element01 and lfvol
I saw individuals on the Tennessee team that could've been better conditioned and stronger but it didn't apply to every player. Davis. Burrell, and Horston were all very physically fit. Key could do a lot more but better than when she was a freshman. Overall I thought we got the shots we wanted in the Michigan game and fitness wasn't a problem. I thought missing shots very easy ones we usually make shots was the problem. Second if Tennessee wants to advance from where they are going to need some consistent three point shooters. All the top teams have them we don't. We had one this season Burrell. Easy for any team to contain one or two players and give the others all the shot attempts.

I have not seen Zaay this season but it is hard to imagine her getting leaner. But, big jumps in fitness and conditioning have to happen in the offseason. During the season, the demands of the schedule require that players go into more of a maintenance mode on strength training (unless perhaps they are not in the regular rotation).

I would not make judgments about fitness totally on body fat. I think KK was quite fit but her body type is never going to svelte. If she really worked on lowering her set point body fat, it would probably be counter productive. Injuries did play a role. Marta seemed to be really inhibited after her injury and probably could not do very much in terms of conditioning work because of it.

Of course, players can always get stronger, fit, faster but, of our main rotation players. the one where I saw clear deficiencies was Key (lower body strength).

Destiny looked a scrawny freshman as well and I think a good offseason of strength and conditioning work will make a world of difference for her.

Those outside the 7 or 8 who saw regular minutes need a lot of off-season work if they are make any contributions next season.

Last edited:
Destiny looked a scrawny freshman as well and I think a good offseason of strength and conditioning work will make a world of difference for her.

This is a good point. I was watching one of Baylor’s early round games and the announcers were saying that Kim felt like she couldn’t play her highly-rated freshmen (Sarah Andrews, Hannah Gusters) much this season because they hadn’t had the same type of offseason with the program they’d normally get, which I’d imagine included some strength and conditioning once they normally get to campus.

I saw individuals on the Tennessee team that could've been better conditioned and stronger but it didn't apply to every player. Davis. Burrell, and Horston were all very physically fit. Key could do a lot more but better than when she was a freshman. Overall I thought we got the shots we wanted in the Michigan game and fitness wasn't a problem. I thought missing shots very easy ones we usually make shots was the problem. Second if Tennessee wants to advance from where they are going to need some consistent three point shooters. All the top teams have them we don't. We had one this season Burrell. Easy for any team to contain one or two players and give the others all the shot attempts.

That’s interesting. I agree with you about the missed shots, but saw things a little differently. No doubt JH looks strong, and I thought Kasi looked in the best shape of her career. Tamari needs to be stronger, because it’s a physical fight under the basket. I don’t really want to speculate about why Rennia could play great, but sometimes didn’t score much for a half or even a whole game. She and Rae both look to be in shape, but I thought that Rae got tired in some games, and when she did, nothing worked right for her. In fact, the 2 games where Rae was scoring a lot in the first half, I believe the OM and SC games, and she had to go to the locker room because of injury, but luckily was able to return, those were the games Rennia took over in the second half (in the SC game I believe she was scoreless in the first half), and scored 20+ points to “win the game,” although Rae had also scored highly.

Once Rae ran out of steam, she still worked hard and gave it her all, but her shots weren’t falling, and when she kept driving to the basket, I realize that she may have been told to do this, many times the ball was lost, or a wild shot was made, or the ball was lost while dribbling there, or she fell down, literally. That’s when it seemed like she was more susceptible to possible injury.

To make your shots, you have to have that extra umpf in your jump. If you’re tired, it may not be there. Also, tiredness effects decision making. I love Rae, and her game, and don’t know what we would have done without her this year. She was consistently our best scorer, and played great defense, too. For the few times she may have played a little tired, maybe this summer she should work on increased stamina, and more strength in her legs. Looking forward to cheering her and the team on next year!

GO LADY VOLS!

She was slow to begin with and got slower as the season went along, if she wants to be the player everyone thinks she can be she certainly needs to sacrifice and get in shape
I mentioned in a softball thread that a player coming off an injury looked heavy and needed to play her way back in shape. It was like the unpardonable sin. People lashed out at me for daring to mention a young ladys weight!!!

I mentioned in a softball thread that a player coming off an injury looked heavy and needed to play her way back in shape. It was like the unpardonable sin. People lashed out at me for daring to mention a young ladys weight!!!

We weren’t critical of you because of the topic, but because you were incorrect in your assessment, and were given the correct information several times on the thread.

Reactions: Rickster

She was also dealing with a significant foot/ankle injury all season and was unable to do any conditioning.

Reactions: Rickster
Conversely, Rae Burrell changed her body this year. She appeared to be leaner and stronger, but I wonder if her own off-season conditioning was responsible? I know from social media that Jordan Horston worked hard in the off-season as well and was noticeably leaner and stronger this year also.

Yes to both especially Horston. The Lady Vols have a very good conditioning program. Some players got injured and that affected their conditioning.

Next year will be a better gauge of conditioning as I would expect every player to be bigger and stronger. I would think their basketball skills would be much better as well. I would hope we would have enough efficient players to stretch out the rotation to nine or ten. A lot of players can run all day but they can loose their shooting legs because of to many minutes and not even realize it. Several of our players were playing upper thirty minutes a game that can tax even the most well conditioned player.

Reactions: savannahfan

VN Store

Back