'18 LA S Kelvin Joseph

Your focus appears to be on the top 1% who may continue professionally. For the other 99% who won’t get paid to play later, the exposure and training are of little to no financial value. You’re mind is made up already as is mine. Just have to agree to disagree?

Actually, I think the argument can be made for many players that but for their athletic scholarship, they would never get the perks or opportunity that a high level D1 scholarship offers. I hate to say it, but some probably wouldn’t get the opportunity to go to that school. So, it indeed helps many athletes regardless of pro potential.

Players deserve to be paid IMO. Problem is with our society there will always be someone to cry it’s not fair if their sport isn’t paying the same as football. You have to divide up everything equally for the non revenue generating sports unfortunately as well. And that my friends gives the crooked ass ncaa all the reason they need to not pay anyone at all on the level.

Most of these elite players are getting paid under the table in either straight cash or some other ancillary benefit like cars, jobs for family, etc. Several of them will never go pro and have this as their only opportunity to improve their family’s circumstances as well. NCAA can turn a blind eye as long as no one gets too stupid.

Reactions: #Vol4Life1991
Google says $30K in state and $48K out of state with no aid. A large percentage of these student athletes would qualify for aid.

I’ve read they now include apx $5K for misc since the athletes can’t have a part time job.
That's about right. I have a son that is starting his sophomore year and his tuition and fees are about $14K. He commutes but when my daughter attended a few years ago she lived on campus and the room and board was a little bit more than the tuition.

Your focus appears to be on the top 1% who may continue professionally. For the other 99% who won’t get paid to play later, the exposure and training are of little to no financial value. You’re mind is made up already as is mine. Just have to agree to disagree?
You cant assign the value of the scholarship based on what comes after. It has it's own value at the time. And that "1%" you mention is a random 1% when they enter college. Not every 5 stars plays in the NFL, and not every 2* ends up flipping burgers. So trying to assign a sliding value is arbitrary as all get out. Even if the make it to the NFL all of those players end up broke anyway, so where is the value in their scholarship vs the career back up who gets a good office job straight from college and helps his family for life?

Medical care and tutoring are always going to have intrinsic value no matter their career field.

And exposure applies to more than the NFL. We always talk about the connections they get out of college. Having their name out there at all opens tons of doors.

Players deserve to be paid IMO. Problem is with our society there will always be someone to cry it’s not fair if their sport isn’t paying the same as football. You have to divide up everything equally for the non revenue generating sports unfortunately as well. And that my friends gives the crooked ass ncaa all the reason they need to not pay anyone at all on the level.

Most of these elite players are getting paid under the table in either straight cash or some other ancillary benefit like cars, jobs for family, etc. Several of them will never go pro and have this as their only opportunity to improve their family’s circumstances as well. NCAA can turn a blind eye as long as no one gets too stupid.

Not too mention these days you will then have women sports complaining they don’t make the same despite the clear difference in revenue generation

Do you know what I don’t understand? Why do you get a new set of official visits when you transfer? If you took all 5 OVs as a senior high school recruit, I don’t think you should get any OVs if you transfer to a new school.

Because if you choose to transfer, then you should pay your own way to visit new schools. Just my opinion. For example, this kid just took 5 OVs a year and a half ago. I don’t think he should get 5 more OVs because he’s transferring. I would be fine with grad transfers getting them.

Because if you choose to transfer, then you should pay your own way to visit new schools. Just my opinion. For example, this kid just took 5 OVs a year and a half ago. I don’t think he should get 5 more OVs because he’s transferring. I would be fine with grad transfers getting them.
I agree. It definitely adds to the idea of recruiting other teams players when you give transferring players OVs

I typically agree with most of your posts. However, I just don’t understand why folks want to restrict any student athlete from going wherever they wish. Of course we all hope they would make the best choice with the initial school they choose, but it’s unrealistic to think all these 17-18 year olds will get it right the first time. Some of these schools have been around for hundreds of years and will continue for years to come. A student athlete only gets 4-5 years. The schools make $millions off of these student athletes. Why should the schools have any say at all who’s eligible outside of acceptable behavior and meeting academic standards?

I agree. Plus, we act like recruiters and coaches don't lie to get athletes there. Not to mention that most players have to sit out a year.

he leaned on JUCO pretty hard at Mississippi state, so its not a new strategy for him
When you're 20min from the best juco in the country, you should spend some time there. That said, AJ Brown went to ole Miss bc he said Mullen didn't spend time recruiting him. AJ was from starkville

VN Store

Back