‘23 LA CB Jordan Matthews (Tennessee)

a94.png

There's been so much talk and debate about stars and rankings lately, but here's something that I want everyone to pay attention to..... this class is loaded with speed, length, athleticism, and intelligence. Also, grounded, very high character kids with very supportive families. It may not be a class that wows you with lots of marquee names among recruiting sites, but these coaches have a very clear plan and approach IMO. They know that their greatest strengths as a staff are development, game planning, and creativity. They also know what they've done in their careers with far less gifted players. Don't look at this class on paper (stars), although it still looks pretty damn good on paper. Take time to look at measurables, character, and academic backgrounds. This is a far better class (based on potential) than I think many people realize.

Agree 1000%

There's been so much talk and debate about stars and rankings lately, but here's something that I want everyone to pay attention to..... this class is loaded with speed, length, athleticism, and intelligence. Also, grounded, very high character kids with very supportive families. It may not be a class that wows you with lots of marquee names among recruiting sites, but these coaches have a very clear plan and approach IMO. They know that their greatest strengths as a staff are development, game planning, and creativity. They also know what they've done in their careers with far less gifted players. Don't look at this class on paper (stars), although it still looks pretty damn good on paper. Take time to look at measurables, character, and academic backgrounds. This is a far better class (based on potential) than I think many people realize.

100%! Couldn't agree more!

If you have speed, you will compete

I feel like this is the class that really gets us moving in the right direction. Put results on the field this fall and watch out!

I think what Matthews said in one of the interviews is true. That "we all come from different cultures and come together" in Knoxville. (I can't find the quote at the moment.) I take it that he was asked about going to Knoxville from Louisiana. And that is an absolutely great vibe for a team like ours that needs to recruit from all over.

But what you say is even more true. (And I don't take it to contradict what Matthews meant, in any way. In fact, I think he feels what you say.) There is one culture on Rocky Top now. And it is what you say. And Matthews is another great fit and example.
These players are part of that culture that Heupel has built and is still building. I can't remember any Vols team that has had the volume of players put in so much extra (not mandatory) off season work as this squad. The results will show very soon.

I think the same was said of the 2022 recruiting class. This staff has a plan and a certain type of player they wanna recruit.

Also.....
Matthews announced his final three schools on August 4, and he also locked in his commitment date then. While others weren’t aware of it, he says he knew it was Tennessee at that point.

same date @FranklinVol16 gave the first eye emoji.......

mind blown.
He's either on the staff or very close with someone who is. There's no way he just guessed right like 5 commits in a row, he knows.

I think the same was said of the 2022 recruiting class. This staff has a plan and a certain type of player they wanna recruit.
It's a recurring theme so far, showing that they have a long term plan for success. With the situation that they walked into, no one would be capable of immediately winning a majority of recruiting battles head to head with UGA, Bama, Ohio St, and Clemson. Honestly, no one else is winning the majority of these battles (without cheating A&M) regardless right now. You have to have a strategy to be competitive long term. That starts with limiting roster turnover. You need players that are most likely to excel academically that are also unselfish, loyal to team, with strong family values. It also starts with speed. Speed is the ultimate equalizer. You must also identify underrated players with length and elite athleticism early. Next you need intelligent players (high football IQ). Players that can learn your system quickly and limit mistakes. If your team has less talent, the fewer mistakes you can make. Next you have to focus on winning battles for top recruits at your most important positions (QB and Edge). Finally, create a healthy, competitive culture with self accountability. So far they are doing an incredible job of following this blueprint. This doesn't include the advantages you create with the X's and O's.

It's a recurring theme so far, showing that they have a long term plan for success. With the situation that they walked into, no one would be capable of immediately winning a majority of recruiting battles head to head with UGA, Bama, Ohio St, and Clemson. Honestly, no one else is winning the majority of these battles (without cheating A&M) regardless right now. You have to have a strategy to be competitive long term. That starts with limiting roster turnover. You need players that are most likely to excel academically that are also unselfish, loyal to team, with strong family values. It also starts with speed. Speed is the ultimate equalizer. You must also identify underrated players with length and elite athleticism early. Next you need intelligent players (high football IQ). Players that can learn your system quickly and limit mistakes. If your team has less talent, the fewer mistakes you can make. Next you have to focus on winning battles for top recruits at your most important positions (QB and Edge). Finally, create a healthy, competitive culture with self accountability. So far they are doing an incredible job of following this blueprint. This doesn't include the advantages you create with the X's and O's.
Shhhhhh …. You’re giving away our secret !!!

Reactions: hooter vol

VN Store

Back