Knight Unloads On Indiana

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I only saw one word omitted from that article and it wasn't even that bad. I'm beginning to get confused as to what is going to make UT Bball fans happy. I don't want to have some pushover coach that has no control over his players. I would rather have someone who gets in their face and lets them know they screwed up. BK reminds me a lot of Kevin O'neill and that guy didn't have the cleanest mouth either, but he could coach! Well, he could coach defense at least.

Dude, give me a break. If the worst thing you hear all day is the word a$$, then consider your virgin ears blessed.

You hear worse in a PG-13 movie. Dare I say most of us watch those on a regular basis.

I'm certainly not going to disregard a coach because of his use of the English language. BTW, ever "accidentally" caught a coach mic'd up during a game? My guess is the word bleeped in the article will only be the tip of the iceberg, my friend.

P.S. the above poster is right about the ONE word. Your "Headline" for this post is false-advertising.

Originally posted by kiddiedoc@Mar 22, 2005 4:39 PM
P.S. the above poster is right about the ONE word. Your "Headline" for this post is false-advertising.

No it's not.

Members of this board are encouraged not to attack each other, yet some are wanting a coach who does it almost every time he is interviewed. Here he's rattling a cage that is 5 years old.

If it were Johnny Majors complaining about his treatment at UT that would be a different matter, wouldn't it?

I don't think we should sell out our integrity for a few wins.

Bottom line is Mr. Knight speaks his mind whether me, you, or anyone else likes it. Sacrificing my integrity to go after Coach Knight? I think instead of speaking for everyone by using we, some folks on this board should preface by using I. I don't for one believe I am sacrificing my integrity by hiring Coach Knight. He is a remakable teacher in the fundamentals of basketball. He has a no nonsense military style of coaching, he holds his players accountable! I, and I am saying I, would give my right arm to play for a guy such as Knight. I will admit that he has been outspoken to a fault sometimes, but if you read what the majority of his ex-players have stated about him, they love the guy. He goes beyond the call of duty for ex-players after their college careers are over. Has he made mistakes? I believe so, but last time I checked we are all humans on here. Facts are he runs a clean program, his players are held accountable, and the majority that don't leave early for professional hoops will graduate. He's also what many people fail to understand, a WINNER. His coaching accomplishments speak for themselves. I personally would love to see Coach Knight at the helm in Rocky Top. I believe the TN program would love the product he would put on the floor. I cannot speak for anyone on here but myself, but please don't question the integrity of my opinion because you do not want Coach Knight on Rocky Top.
If you want to win, graduate players that do not leave early, and bring this program where it should be every year,(with all TN in state talent!)I personally think Coach Knight can make it happen.

Originally posted by OldVol@Mar 22, 2005 4:20 PM
Why would we want a coach who uses language in public that probably wouldn't even be welcomed on this family board? I really haven't figured that one out yet.

So we get Knight a 5 second delay on his press conferences. :censored: This should appease those who are mortified by the occasional cuss word.

Regarding sideline language, by your standards Coach K would be unacceptable as a candidate for UT.

Bobby Knight runs a squeaky clean program and graduates players. In my book that far outweighs how colorful his verbiage is or how gruff his demeanor is at press conferences.

Knight consistently Wins, too.

I understand Knight may feel animosity toward some at Indiana, but there was no point in dogging Mike Davis and saying that he would have fired him off his staff if he'd stayed at Indiana. I like Bobby Knight, but that was a classless move.

Originally posted by GAVol@Mar 22, 2005 6:05 PM
I understand Knight may feel animosity toward some at Indiana, but there was no point in dogging Mike Davis and saying that he would have fired him off his staff if he'd stayed at Indiana.  I like Bobby Knight, but that was a classless move.

The Knight-Davis situation is actually very similar to how Johnny Majors feels about Phil Fulmer. Let's not forget that Majors had some belated bitter words about Phil and UT when Johnny was winning at Pitt again. I would hardly call Johnny Majors classless.

Coaches that get fired are bitter about it and say unkind things about that organization. If on top of that they feel that one of their assistants undermined them and stabbed them in the back.....and low and behold, said assistant gets their job after they are forced out.....well, can one really blame the hard feelings and unkind words?

Again, I don't see his comments as any worse than those made by Majors. Knight may be holding a grudge too closely, but does anyone know for sure that Mike Davis did NOT undermine Knight with the intent to take his job?

Whatever happened . . . it just served no purpose to bring something like that up at a press conference. That's all I'm saying.

This is just one more reason to NOT hire this loose cannon. God only knows what his next move will be. And it does not need to be on our watch! :bad:

Originally posted by TroyCG+Mar 22, 2005 6:24 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TroyCG @ Mar 22, 2005 6:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-GAVol@Mar 22, 2005 6:05 PM
I understand Knight may feel animosity toward some at Indiana, but there was no point in dogging Mike Davis and saying that he would have fired him off his staff if he&#39;d stayed at Indiana.  I like Bobby Knight, but that was a classless move.

The Knight-Davis situation is actually very similar to how Johnny Majors feels about Phil Fulmer. Let&#39;s not forget that Majors had some belated bitter words about Phil and UT when Johnny was winning at Pitt again. I would hardly call Johnny Majors classless.

Coaches that get fired are bitter about it and say unkind things about that organization. If on top of that they feel that one of their assistants undermined them and stabbed them in the back.....and low and behold, said assistant gets their job after they are forced out.....well, can one really blame the hard feelings and unkind words?

Again, I don&#39;t see his comments as any worse than those made by Majors. Knight may be holding a grudge too closely, but does anyone know for sure that Mike Davis did NOT undermine Knight with the intent to take his job? [/quote]
That&#39;s my point. I&#39;m sure some of the same people who castigated John Majors are calling for the hiring of Knight.

How do we reconcile the two.

Fans have had very harsh things to say about Johnny, and I doubt any of us would have felt any differently about being undercut while we were recovering from heart surgery.

The difference is that Coach Majors was able to articulate his feelings without lowering himself to publicly cursing the administration. He gave his strong opinions, but he didn&#39;t lose his integrity.

I just don&#39;t understand how we can justify a public figure using such language while children are watching, listening, and looking up to them. If anyone thinks the A word is the limit of Knight&#39;s vulgarity, then they&#39;re either too young, or not interested enough to research some of his outbursts.

It&#39;s wrong regardless of how often you call it or me prudish.

Originally posted by tnvoln77@Mar 22, 2005 5:27 PM
I think instead of speaking for everyone by using we,

Like it or not, if Bob Knight is hired, and he throws things, curses, and embarrasses the university WE will be the operative term in describing the embarrassment that WE will all feel.

Can you see him turning over a scorer&#39;s table at the arena?

If that happens, WE&#39;re in it together as Vol fans.

I realize I am.

Does that work? :D

Some of you guys act were hiring a coach for a 11-12 year old girls church league team&#33; Give me a damn break&#33;&#33;&#33; Heh...Its funny...Bobby says a&#036;&#036; in an article and you dont want him BUT BUT BUT if i recall correctly...which im sure i do...i remember hearing The Patron Saint Phil Fulmer say damn on national TV when he was talking to a player on the sideline...Should we fire him for that? Should we not hire not for that? Hmmmmmm

Every war has it&#39;s heros and our most respected and honored leaders in america which have served in it&#39;s military, have completed basic training. Where were you guys when that ^%#@#&#036;&#33; Drill sergeant was chewing my posterior a new cavity. You could have saved me and all our great American heros from turning out to be as bad as we did. Had we just had you there to stick your fingers in our ears. I have no doubt that General Neyland would have turned out alot better if his drill sergeant spoke with flowers. But alas he was corrupted and every drill sergeant in America has brought us disgrace. Thank you guys for pointing this out. We are better Americans now&#33;

Originally posted by VolzOwn@Mar 22, 2005 8:48 PM
Some of you guys act were hiring a coach for a 11-12 year old girls church league team&#33; Give me a damn break&#33;&#33;&#33; Heh...Its funny...Bobby says a&#036;&#036; in an article and you dont want him BUT BUT BUT if i recall correctly...which im sure i do...i remember hearing The Patron Saint Phil Fulmer say damn on national TV when he was talking to a player on the sideline...Should we fire him for that? Should we not hire not for that? Hmmmmmm

Oh, come on, there&#39;s a big difference between grabbing an inadvertent sound byte on the sideline, that was never intended for public consumption, and a coach cursing everything that raises its head in a press conference.

Lets talk apples to apples here.

Fulmer has always been courteous in public.

Is that too much to ask?

I don&#39;t really care what a coach does in practice.

Everyone ought to care what they say before our children and the ladies. Is the Southern Gentleman really dead?

Originally posted by TBALLVOL@Mar 23, 2005 9:11 AM
Every war has it&#39;s heros and our most respected and honored leaders in america which have served in it&#39;s military, have completed basic training. Where were you guys when that ^%#@#&#036;&#33; Drill sergeant was chewing my posterior a new cavity. You could have saved me and all our great American heros from turning out to be as bad as we did. Had we just had you there to stick your fingers in our ears. I have no doubt that General Neyland would have turned out alot better if his drill sergeant spoke with flowers. But alas he was corrupted and every drill sergeant in America has brought us disgrace. Thank you guys for pointing this out. We are better Americans now&#33;

You are too smart to make that comparison. I&#39;ve seen more of your posts to know that you know you&#39;re not talking about the same thing here.

As I said, I don&#39;t care what kind of language the coach uses in practice or even on the sideline as long as there&#39;s not an open mic around.

We should all care about the example our coaches at UT present to the public and our children and grandchildren.

Common decency demands no less.

Everyone ought to care what they say before our children and the ladies. Is the Southern Gentleman really dead?

I have heard several ladies in this area talk a lot worse than Bobby Knight. So he&#39;s brash, crude, could use some education is class...bottom line, our basketball team sucks and we need to hire a coach who will sit a players tail on the bench if he is not playing defense (well, scooter&#39;s gone, so maybe we won&#39;t have that problem)

Originally posted by pedigovolfan@Mar 23, 2005 9:32 AM

I have heard several ladies in this area talk a lot worse than Bobby Knight. So he&#39;s brash, crude, could use some education is class...bottom line, our basketball team sucks and we need to hire a coach who will sit a players tail on the bench if he is not playing defense (well, scooter&#39;s gone, so maybe we won&#39;t have that problem)

I want a tough coach as much as anyone, but we don&#39;t have to make the choice between a tough coach and one who can&#39;t separate his court persona from his public one.

I mean, everything you say about Knight could be said about Phil Fulmer, and guess what, Coach Fulmer gets the job done and still manages to behave in front of a microphone.

A.) Good coach who produces and makes a fool of himself and the school in public

B.) Good coach who produces and is a good ambassador for the school

This is not a choice that the University of Tennessee has to stoop to.

However; if he is hired, you&#39;re looking at one Vol who&#39;ll support him until he does embarrass us. Then I&#39;ll call for his head.

And if he doesn&#39;t mess up, then it might be a good hire if he wins. I think it&#39;s too great of a risk.

I&#39;m all for BK if that&#39;s who they decide we need. In case he is still subject to embarrassing public outbursts aside from the courtside or sideline demeanor that can come out in any coach, Fulmer/coach K/name your fancy, during the heat of battle then I am also for behavior clauses in his contract protecting the integrity of the university.

So OldVol, your not really complaining that Bobby is a sinner but that he DOES NOT hide his sin. I say the devil you do know is better than the devil you dont know. Personally, I don&#39;t want BoBBY to curse. But I know that he and just about every coach out there (besides Buzz) does alot worse things in other areas that we don&#39;t get to see. Bobby Knight is an open book. What you see is what you get. In every other area besides his anger he has more integrity than any coach in the nation that I have seen. He even gave back his salary for a year because he didn&#39;t think he earned the right to it. He instills discipline, accountability, and teamwork and his players love him for it because he makes them into men. Those are the moral banners we should be championing at Tennessee and those moral vestiges speak louder than the superficial words he is being judged by, Unless of course your old and hard of heart..oops, I mean hard of hearing.

Originally posted by TBALLVOL@Mar 23, 2005 10:10 AM
So OldVol, your not really complaining that Bobby is a sinner but that he DOES NOT hide his sin. I say the devil you do know is better than the devil you dont know. Personally, I don&#39;t want BoBBY to curse. But I know that he and just about every coach out there (besides Buzz) does alot worse things in other areas that we don&#39;t get to see. Bobby Knight is an open book. What you see is what you get. In every other area besides his anger he has more integrity than any coach in the nation that I have seen. He even gave back his salary for a year because he didn&#39;t think he earned the right to it. He instills discipline, accountability, and teamwork and his players love him for it because he makes them into men. Those are the moral banners we should be championing at Tennessee and those moral vestiges speak louder than the superficial words he is being judged by, Unless of course your old and hard of heart..oops, I mean hard of hearing.

Call me old, call me whatever, I still believe a man of principle can display restraint.

I&#39;m not impressed with a man who gives of himself who can&#39;t control himself.

Alexander the Great conquered the entire world of his day, his armies marched quicker and conquered more territory than any in history in his era.

Yet a man who could command the respect of vast armies died of venereal diseases because he couldn&#39;t conquer his own will.

I still say a choice does not have to be made to take one or the other.

By the way, there have been some coaches who did not swear, did not choke their players, who also won championships and were loved by their players.

I think we really demean the human element when we assume that you have to partake in the vulgar to excel on the court or field. That&#39;s a pretty small view of the human spirit in my humble opinion.

As far as sin, there&#39;s only one who had none. I&#39;ve never really been impressed with folks who feel they have to display all of theirs before the world though. Call it hiding one&#39;s sin if you will but there&#39;s a lot to be said for discretion. It’s an attribute I respect in men.

What knight did was just speak facts. So he may have said a few words that he didn&#39;t need to say, so what. have you ever seen Bob Knight not say what he felt. So if FUlmer retired and say john Chavis took his spot. Now fulmer says something about him like Bob Knight did, would we care? not really. We need to get off Bob Knights back guys. He is who he is and we all know what he is capable of. NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS. he has a team with really no talent on it playing their hearts out and now are in the sweet sixteen and proably going into the elite eight.

I read where some people are worried about how the University will look. Texas Tech has not been embarrassed in the last 4 years have they?

I don&#39;t think the University can look any worse than they already do after getting rid of DeVoe and Green after winning seasons. Hiring Knight will only make the University look smarter after such dumb moves.

VN Store

Back