Knecht is what Barnes needs to be successful.

Volumnus 2011

WE LANDED ON THE MOON!
Let me clarify, because I know it seems like I'm stating the obvious. Knecht changed everything because he was a guy you could give the ball to, clear out and let him go get you buckets. He's the first guy Barnes has had here like that, and let's face it, you need that guy come tournament time. He's the missing piece of the puzzle. You know you're getting great defense with Barnes. You know you're getting teams that hustle with Barnes. He's a great coach. But Springer wasn't that guy, Phillips wasn't that Guy, Keon Johnson wasn't that guy, Kennedy Chandler wasn't that guy.

Grant Williams was the closest we've had, but guards historically determine your staying power in the dance. A guy like Kevin Punter would help this team a lot too.

Can someone be that guy next year? Is it Carr? Can it be Dillione? What about the Boswell kid coming in? Can Barnes pull an alpha scorer from the portal again?

We know Barnes can coach defense, and honestly, these last few defenses have been as fun to watch as the Lofton offenses. Knecht made coaching offense a lot easier and bridged the gap between the O and D. That's why this team was different.

Let me clarify, because I know it seems like I'm stating the obvious. Knecht changed everything because he was a guy you could give the ball to, clear out and let him go get you buckets. He's the first guy Barnes has had here like that, and let's face it, you need that guy come tournament time. He's the missing piece of the puzzle. You know you're getting great defense with Barnes. You know you're getting teams that hustle with Barnes. He's a great coach. But Springer wasn't that guy, Phillips wasn't that Guy, Keon Johnson wasn't that guy, Kennedy Chandler wasn't that guy.

Grant Williams was the closest we've had, but guards historically determine your staying power in the dance. A guy like Kevin Punter would help this team a lot too.

Can someone be that guy next year? Is it Carr? Can it be Dillione? What about the Boswell kid coming in? Can Barnes pull an alpha scorer from the portal again?

We know Barnes can coach defense, and honestly, these last few defenses have been as fun to watch as the Lofton offenses. Knecht made coaching offense a lot easier and bridged the gap between the O and D. That's why this team was different.

lol, every coach needs that guy.

I'm not hating even, I'm just - who doesn't need that guy? Every team needs that guy.

Or a seven foor three monster who could stomp across a zen garden without fouling it up, maybe.

Estrella bodied up that big dude from Purdue. Wish Barnes would've noticed that sooner. I like what I'm seeing from that kid. Sure he's still learning but to play like he did in the elite eight against 7' 4" player of the year! Excited to watch his growth. He'll be special

We'll NEVER have a better chance at a FF in my lifetime, unfortunately. Real talent like knecht doesnt come around but once every 20-30 years. I aint got that left. Oh, well... still love my Vols.
Unfortunately for the most part it was just a 2 man team for
most of the year. Looking at the box score for the Bama / Clemson
game, they both had 5 players with double digit points. We never had
that balance.

Portal kids that matter paid attention to that game today.

Portal kids that matter want to come play at a place that gets the national attention Tennessee gets and want to come play at a place where they can be the difference between an E8 finish and a Natty.

We'll have another Knecht sooner rather than later and we'll have another big bodied air craft carrier type dude in the center soon too.

Unfortunately for the most part it was just a 2 man team for
most of the year. Looking at the box score for the Bama / Clemson
game, they both had 5 players with double digit points. We never had
that balance.
such a dumb take 🙄

lol, every coach needs that guy.

I'm not hating even, I'm just - who doesn't need that guy? Every team needs that guy.

Or a seven foor three monster who could stomp across a zen garden without fouling it up, maybe.

Of course every coach needs that guy, but that guy without the rest isn't going to get you the kinds of seasons Barnes has had. If you want to look at your example about Edey, Purdue had early exits from the tourney the last two years. What they have this year that makes a difference is guards capable of shooting threes and taking pressure off of him.

I'm not even saying "the guy" has to be as good as Knecht. I'm just saying having balanced scoring doesn't work. You need someone the other team's defense fears. I think Springer or Keon Johnson could have been "the guy", but that's not how Rick drew it up. Knecht has shown the importance of it though.

Estrella bodied up that big dude from Purdue. Wish Barnes would've noticed that sooner. I like what I'm seeing from that kid. Sure he's still learning but to play like he did in the elite eight against 7' 4" player of the year! Excited to watch his growth. He'll be special
I really liked how he guarded Edey, Estrella made him work for everything. Being so young and not being intimidated by a two time player of the year in the body of an orgre was impressive. He needs to work on handling the ball, be it catching passes or getting rebounds. If he is able to that he is going to be fun to watch the next few years.

We'll NEVER have a better chance at a FF in my lifetime, unfortunately. Real talent like knecht doesnt come around but once every 20-30 years. I aint got that left. Oh, well... still love my Vols.

I get the loss is still fresh, but I felt the same way after the Lofton team that beat Memphis to be #1 in the country, the same after the year with Grant/Admiral, and the same now.

With a coach like Barnes though, there will hopefully continue to be opportunities.

Reactions: Vols All Day
Estrella needs to live in the weight room this off season plus someone needs to follow him around campus with a cane beating him into toughness.

Reactions: chuck0303
Estrella needs to live in the weight room this off season plus someone needs to follow him around campus with a cane beating him into toughness.
I'm not worried. He played better defense than Aidoo and Aidoo has been on campus for years. I think we might have something with JP and Carr. Throw in ZZ and Shack, we probably won't win the league next year but I can see us being really scrappy.

I’ve said that 4 times in my life before this year. Opportunities will keep coming and the teams that often break through in these things are the seasons you aren’t expecting it.

Portal kids that matter paid attention to that game today.

Portal kids that matter want to come play at a place that gets the national attention Tennessee gets and want to come play at a place where they can be the difference between an E8 finish and a Natty.

We'll have another Knecht sooner rather than later and we'll have another big bodied air craft carrier type dude in the center soon too.
Care to name them and from where?

Reactions: IndianaVol
Sure. But you could say that for 98% of college players

I’ve said that 4 times in my life before this year. Opportunities will keep coming and the teams that often break through in these things are the seasons you aren’t expecting it.
I do think that’s true. Look at NC State. Nobody saw that coming. TN will have to make a run like that some year when it’s not a great season.

Reactions: OrangeInKy

VN Store

Back