Knecht in the latest ESPN mock draft

realistically I think based on this draft he could go 8-16. In a normal draft I'd think 8-25. This draft is historically bad. I think its a combination of it being the last 'COVID' draft and just bad timing. DK is IMHO a slightly better NBA prospect than JJ Reddick. I think he is a better. proven, defensive prospect than JJ and an equal or slightly worse shooter. Physical measurables there is no comparison he's better but, the same is true for his competition.
That they both can move without the ball and shoot is where that comparison ends. DK can slash and get to the rim. JJ reddick had one dunk in his entire nba career. DK can create his own shot, JJ couldn’t.

That they both can move without the ball and shoot is where that comparison ends. DK can slash and get to the rim. JJ reddick had one dunk in his entire nba career. DK can create his own shot, JJ couldn’t.
Fair enough but DK isn't gonna be doing much dunking in the league either. JJ could very well dunk but that wasn't his game. DK can dunk its more of his game (he's a bigger guy). My point is their roles in the NBA will be similar. I think DK, because of his size, has the ability to be more impactful overall. I just think its a good comparison to make. JJ Reddick was a very good NBA player and a very valuable role player stuck on bad teams.

You have a weird definition of bad teams

Haha, yeah. He went to the playoffs every year, almost, but most of those teams weren't much better than average. JJ's problem was nobody saw the true value in him for the first half of his career. He said when he was in FA, Doc told him he would use him like he used Ray Allen in Boston and he chose LAC and then his career took off.

Also, JJ was going to the basket in college. It doesn't always translate. DK has the physicality but not sure he has the handle to be much more than a 2 dribble guy, which is OK. Jaylen Brown is making $60m that way.

You have a weird definition of bad teams
During Reddicks prime he played for the Clippers and Sixers before that he spent 7 years in Orlando. All of those teams were flawed and underperformed. he played with some talented guys but never was he on a real contender. Not his fault just how it was. During the Dwight Howard years they made the FInals ('09 Gentlemens sweep by Lakers) and Conference finals ( '10 6 games by Celtics) the other years they were first round and gone. CLippers '14 and '15 both booted in the second round. Sixers also booted second-round 18 and 19. So he was on 6 teams that made it past the first round of playoffs. Twice he made it past the second round and once to the finals. So 11 of his 17 years he played on teams that either didn't make it out of the first round of the playoffs or didn't make it at all. I would call that stuck on bad teams. He played on some of the best teams of Clippers and Magic history which is a credit to him but the Clippers and Magic are historically woeful franchises. The Sixers since the 90's have been a woefully underachieving franchise.

In 17 years he played in 110 playoff games 1 finals appearance 0 rings. To give an example of a guy that played a similar amount of games on good teams. Lamar Odom played on good teams He played in 108 playoff games in 8 seasons 2d rings. Robert Horry Played in 244 playoff games in 16 seasons 7 rings. Thats 2 guys that overlapped his career and were of similar talent level. Thats the difference between playing on good teams and bad ones. Yes he played on a few ok teams.. 17 you almost have to luck into a few but the majority of the teams he played on were bad. If you want to press it meh teams. But this is a violation and the attitude around here has always been championship or bust right? Being the 3rd best team in your conference and not winning a ring means you suck. Right? I'm just following the board's rules.

Agree. He may even be better than we expect in the NBA. He has lifted his game on every new level of competition he has played and got better. If he continues to improve his handle and develops a step-back game, he may not be guardable. His ability to finish especially going left to non-dominant hand is impressive. Defenders are going to get so paranoid about his perimeter shooting, but he can score from anywhere on the court and can beat you in midrange and at the rim.

Agree. I'm just hoping he goes to a solid franchise on the rise - San Antonio at #8 would be ideal. Getting him in the Pop system with a generational big, a lot of young talent, and a guard like Sheppard or Topic taken at #4 would be perfect. Other than that, the Grizzlies would be the next best option in the top 10.

Reactions: spyfish007
Fair enough but DK isn't gonna be doing much dunking in the league either. JJ could very well dunk but that wasn't his game. DK can dunk its more of his game (he's a bigger guy). My point is their roles in the NBA will be similar. I think DK, because of his size, has the ability to be more impactful overall. I just think its a good comparison to make. JJ Reddick was a very good NBA player and a very valuable role player stuck on bad teams.
And my point is that their roles will not be similar. DK’s vertical is almost as high as Anthony edwards’. Reddick’s vertical was below average. DK can create his own shot and get to the rim. JJ couldn’t. DK has better handles, better shake, better athleticism, taller, longer, can guard more positions. There’s really no comparison.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
And my point is that their roles will not be similar. DK’s vertical is almost as high as Anthony edwards’. Reddick’s vertical was below average. DK can create his own shot and get to the rim. JJ couldn’t. DK has better handles, better shake, better athleticism, taller, longer, can guard more positions. There’s really no comparison.
I think your stance has validity but the differences are less than you'd think in an actual role. But for the sake of keeping it real. I'll say Austin Reeves with less defense is his best comp? Reeves was a similar age when drafted (23) and they have very similar measurables and athleticism.

I don't like the comparison because JJ was a spot up shooter, period. He was a damn good one, but his game was all about off ball movement, catch and shoot, and the DHO game he had with Embiid while in Philly.

DK can do all of that, but has the ability to create his own shot, get to the rim and finish at the basket, something JJ never did. It isn't about dunking necessarily, but being able to get to the rim and draw contact, which DK is already pretty much elite at. He's also a lob threat and can get offensive rebound put-back dunks. His rebounding, which improved as last season went on, is another huge difference with Redick.

I can't think of a really good player comp in today's game, but one former player whose game I think he resembles was Rex Chapman when he was healthy - on court only, of course. 6'5" guards who can shoot, create their own shot, finish at the rim, and have no fear.

Reactions: gainesvol82
Fake news - we were told repeatedly on here that nobody DK’s age is a lottery pick!

Generally true, but a draft like this one is an exception. This is one of those drafts without the 2-3 clear top guys aside from a few international players who are wild cards to an extent. That has elevated freshmen like Sheppard and Dillingham, who ordinarily would have been mid-1st picks at best, as well as some 'older' players like DK, Edey, Devin Carter, Kevin McCullar, and Tyler Kolek.

I think your stance has validity but the differences are less than you'd think in an actual role. But for the sake of keeping it real. I'll say Austin Reeves with less defense is his best comp? Reeves was a similar age when drafted (23) and they have very similar measurables and athleticism.
Nah. Austin has a vert way lower. DK is a more athletic, way more rim-attacking austin reaves, who is a faster and more athletic JJ Reddick.

VN Store

Back