Kirby is Classless

With 4:50 left in the game and up by 21 points GA DC send a corner blitz on a freshman QB. Then after the bone crunching hit and scoop and score Kirby runs down the sideline and high-fives his DC like that play just won them the game. There was no reason to send that blitz and possibly hurt a promising young QB, the game was already in control. As much as I dislike Alabama Saban would never do that. I am starting to dislike GA more than Bama and don't get me started on FL.
So if at that same point in the game, a Tennessee player had a clear shot at Fromm are you telling me that he would have pulled up and not taken the hit? I mean the game was over at that point, right so why take a perfectly clean and unblocked shot on Fromm when we have larger goals for the season?
Lol yeah right, any one of the vols would have planted Fromm had they been able to. And I don’t think any fan would have a problem with it, especially not any vol fan. But since you were on the wrong end of a blowout our guys are supposed to quit playing?
Whatever. And what the hell does him being a promising young player have to do with it. As far as risking hurting him, Jesus Christ it is football you could get hurt running off the field. The hit was textbook and in no way dirty at all. His head was to the side, he wrapped up and didn’t pick him up and plant him. It looked bad because the QB never saw it coming even though he should have as it wasn’t a blindside hit. And if your that worried about harming a promising young player when the game was out of reach maybe you run the ball instead of passing and then you don’t risk him getting hit. Or if you must continue to throw in a game that was already decided, maybe leave a back in to block.
There was nothing dirty or out of line on that play at all.

Last edited:
With 4:50 left in the game and up by 21 points GA DC send a corner blitz on a freshman QB. Then after the bone crunching hit and scoop and score Kirby runs down the sideline and high-fives his DC like that play just won them the game. There was no reason to send that blitz and possibly hurt a promising young QB, the game was already in control. As much as I dislike Alabama Saban would never do that. I am starting to dislike GA more than Bama and don't get me started on FL.

Kirby sent a message to his former DC, and Kirby had bet on the over!

Reactions: Chattdawg
What would you have Kirby do. Let UT score a TD (throwing), kick an onside kick score again, etc. 4:50's a lot of time and football's football. And most coaches should celebrate TDs with their players.

BTW, Fulmer used to throw the ball into the end zone with games well in hand in order to run up scores, remember?

Attribute some of this if not all of it to the stats lovers who place importance on which team has the highest scoring average against their opponents. Many schools do this hoping it may help later when comparisons are made on which teams get into the final 4 BCS play offs.

Well it’s Monday morning and as usual all the Georgia fans are up and at their jobs working for Georgia Tech grads....they have to work extra hard since they spend their Friday paycheck coming to Knoxville to watch their puppy dogs. You can’t make up how stupid their fan base is.

What would you have Kirby do. Let UT score a TD (throwing), kick an onside kick score again, etc. 4:50's a lot of time and football's football. And most coaches should celebrate TDs with their players.

BTW, Fulmer used to throw the ball into the end zone with games well in hand in order to run up scores, remember?
Stay out troll..

Well it’s Monday morning and as usual all the Georgia fans are up and at their jobs working for Georgia Tech grads....they have to work extra hard since they spend their Friday paycheck coming to Knoxville to watch their puppy dogs. You can’t make up how stupid their fan base is.
o_O:rolleyes:

This is what we’re down to, complaining about a clean hit, a shoulder in the chest? Face it, margin of victory matters when you’re playing for a spot in the playoffs. There was nothing wrong with the call, the hit, or the opposing coach celebrating a turnover resulting in 6 points.

If the situation was reversed you would have no problem with it

Not a Georgia lover by no means but that isn't classless, it's football and he needs to learn to account for a blitzing linebacker. That play may help Mauer down the line. GBO!

You have got to be kidding! ^this^ is how bad we have become..

ANY Vol on defense would have loved to get a hold of Fromm that way. We continued to play the game and we paid for it.

Reactions: Atlanta917
No. He just had a ton of talent. The doggy fans want it now not three years from now. It kinda sounds familiar to our UT fans. Twelve years of bad football says we should of held on to Fulmer and let him leave gracefully. Also the puppy dogs didn’t have an idiot like Mike Hamilton running the show with Haslem up his rear. Hindsight is 20/20. GBO
Richt had largely the same team and couldn't make it. The fact Smart led a team with a backup frosh QB to the natty should tell you all you need to know. Acting like he's a bad coach because he didn't win it all his second year as a coach is a bit ridiculous. Pruitt seems to have a lot of the same strengths Smart does, so UT will just have to wait and see what he can do when he gets his guys.

‘Kay. Good for you. Here’s a cookie.

Trash program, trash fans.

i remember when people said JG needed to feel it coming or audible the blocking scheme or some other lame reasoning. now it happens to maurer and its crybaby time vs smart? yeah jg has stunk it up some but at least be even across the board.

So UGA was supposed to stop playing defense and let UT score? If UT wanted to protect Maurer they should’ve taken him out or blocked the corner. I doubt UT fans would have any issues about it if the roles were reversed.

That wasn't running up the score. No, coach is gonna hold a player back from taking in a recovered fumble. However, that was an incidental TD on the recovery, thanks to the ref. We had him tackled dead to rights until the ref ended up in the way. I was very proud to see how hard the ref got took down for being in the wrong spot.

Reactions: coachballcoach
That was not classless by Georgia to blitz nor a dirty play / cheap shot.
First the guys on the field are auditioning for starting roles and the best way is to put quality reps on tape. You want know what you have developed in backups until you let them get into live rep situations.
Second that sack is on the qb. He should have read the cb was playing inside position / press that close to our formation and known if they blitz here I have to get rid of the ball quick. He locked in on the backside and never looked for frontside pressure ( where there is no rb help) Good thing is he was not hurt and now he’s seen it and should learn from it .

Kirby is classes duh but them playing football isn't what makes him that way.

If we are throwing, it’s hard to blame Kirby for blitzing.

BTW...which end of the dog is that in your avatar??

Sorry. Spent too many years on the GA Tech campus.

So explain it. You're okay with the play but not okay that Kirby Smart was happy with the outcome of the play?

The outcome of the play was a touchdown, a defensive, havoc created, scoop and score touchdown. That was what the celebration was all about. Yes there is a certain amount of train-wreckish fascination about the hit. Sure, I've gone back and looked at it more than once, as I have the Polite hit on GuaranTANo in last years FL game. It was a textbook, form tackle hit on the guy holding the football. Just happened to be your QB, who never saw it coming. But nobody I know is celebrating a player getting injured on a play. As far as I am aware, the kid is not injured. Pruitt indicated he will practice this week and likely play.

VN Store

Back