Kim Caldwell (Rookie Coach of the Year-WBCA) is named Head Coach of Iconic Lady Vols WBB

I feel like Danny is obsessed with up and comers with potential. I don’t know if it’s his ego and he thinks he’s some expert at finding them, but either way it’s a huge gamble. I don’t like it. I’m sick of every one of our AD’s shopping the bargain bin. He realizes he’s putting the most storied women’s basketball program in the hands of an unproven coach right? Right?!?!
I agree

Now I do not profess to be an expert, so please forgive me, but this seems like a strange hire. Only 1 season of experience at a Div I school — and Marshall, at that? I get that she’s been very successful at the Div II level but it’s an entirely different level to go to Div I. And it’s not like she’s going to be coaching some basement dweller mid-major conference team (I mean, Marshall was, but at that’s my point). This is the Lady Vols in the SEC! That’s a huge change of basketball scenery.

I don’t love it. Maybe she will be very successful. But if I was a LV fan have preferred to get someone in who has more success in Div I against stronger competition (players, recruiters, scheduling, etc).

Now time for me to go back-read through this thread.

Made the ESPN scroll immediately. Poor job of hiding. Got the word out to a national wbb centric audience. Check that…
It would make the “scroll”, but no one is talking about it because they are busy with the Championship game. Not an impressive hire by one of the biggest names in Women’s College basketball.

Now I do not profess to be an expert, so please forgive me, but this seems like a strange hire. Only 1 season of experience at a Div I school — and Marshall, at that? I get that she’s been very successful at the Div II level but it’s an entirely different level to go to Div I. And it’s not like she’s going to be coaching some basement dweller mid-major conference team (I mean, Marshall was, but at that’s my point). This is the Lady Vols in the SEC! That’s a huge change of basketball scenery.

I don’t love it. Maybe she will be very successful. But if I was a LV fan have preferred to get someone in who has more success in Div I against stronger competition (players, recruiters, scheduling, etc).

Now time for me to go back-read through this thread.
You’re not wrong 😑

Reactions: vols90 and maple
Nobody cares about that, if he fails on this hire it’s a failure to me.
You think he is judged on a program that as best breaks even or a small profit. You do not understand big time college athletics. It is making money and we made more money than ever in history last year with the Lady Vols losing the program money. TBA has not been full for Lady Vol basketball. Yet, he want to win well at everything and Harper was leading us further into oblivion.

You think he is judged on a program that as best breaks even or a small profit. You do not understand big time college athletics. It is making money and we made more money than ever in history last year with the Lady Vols losing the program money. TBA has not been full for Lady Vol basketball. Yet, he want to win well at everything and Harper was leading us further into oblivion.
That’s my point, they don’t care about the LadyVols program.

Keep in mind her Husband Justin Caldwell was assistant coach on the Marshall Mens basketball team. Prior to that when she was at Glennville state he was the head men's basketball coach there...

I would assume he will be one of her assistant coaches here

Here we go with the wife/husband thing again! Oh, my....

DW and UT administration has done something I have never seen before in March Madness history. This is the biggest WBB coaching search of this decade. It was the biggest headline on the day of two Elite 8 games. Today, it is the biggest headline on the day of the women’s national championship. GBO!

I feel like Danny is obsessed with up and comers with potential.. . . . He realizes he’s putting the most storied women’s basketball program in the hands of an unproven coach right? Right?!?!
I am not understanding "unproven":

Statistics overview
SeasonTeamOverallConferenceStandingPostseason
2016–17Glenville State24–618–41stNCAA Division II First Round
2017–18Glenville State31–222–01stNCAA Division II Second Round
2018–19Glenville State30–321–11stNCAA Division II Second Round
2019–20Glenville State26–519–31stNCAA Division II (Cancelled)
2020–21Glenville State12–410–22ndNCAA Division II First Round
2021–22Glenville State35–122–01stNCAA Division II Champions
2022–23Glenville State33–320–21stNCAA Division II Final Four
Glenville State:191–24132–12
2023–24Marshall26–717–11stNCAA Division I First Round
Marshall:26–717–1

I feel like Danny is obsessed with up and comers with potential. I don’t know if it’s his ego and he thinks he’s some expert at finding them, but either way it’s a huge gamble. I don’t like it. I’m sick of every one of our AD’s shopping the bargain bin. He realizes he’s putting the most storied women’s basketball program in the hands of an unproven coach right? Right?!?!

Great point. Everyone is screaming “give her a chance!!” It has nothing to do with giving her a chance, it has everything to do with having the opportunity to hire a proven coach that would undeniably restore the LVs. He didn’t want to spend the money that would have guaranteed relevancy, so he went to the clearance section and said “this might work”

I am not understanding "unproven":

Statistics overview
SeasonTeamOverallConferenceStandingPostseason
2016–17Glenville State24–618–41stNCAA Division II First Round
2017–18Glenville State31–222–01stNCAA Division II Second Round
2018–19Glenville State30–321–11stNCAA Division II Second Round
2019–20Glenville State26–519–31stNCAA Division II (Cancelled)
2020–21Glenville State12–410–22ndNCAA Division II First Round
2021–22Glenville State35–122–01stNCAA Division II Champions
2022–23Glenville State33–320–21stNCAA Division II Final Four
Glenville State:191–24132–12
2023–24Marshall26–717–11stNCAA Division I First Round
Marshall:26–717–1
Don’t be ridiculous. 1 season coaching division 1. One! This is the friking Lady Vols were talking about. They deserve an established proven coach. Not a project.

VN Store

Back