Kim Caldwell (Rookie Coach of the Year-WBCA) is named Head Coach of Iconic Lady Vols WBB

If it’s Jeff Walz he best not be playing games. Multiple people said he legitimately wanted this job years ago and we didn’t even give him consideration. Well, if we’re offering now… best take it while you can. These opportunities rarely come around twice in one’s lifetime. I can see TN being his dream job, and I think he’d be a grand slam hire (on paper).
I could be remembering it wrong, but I seem to recall him using our coaching search to get a raise and extension.

Not a fact, but a feeling.

I just had a weird vision and chill down my spine. The new coach is Brenda Frese. Just felt it in my bones. Mark my words.

That's my guess as well. If you think that is bad for Tennessee, it will be far worse for Maryland. If it happens then the Terps' roster will be further gutted with probably a mid major coach coming in to start at ground zero with no NIL money.

Reactions: Ladyvolfan4ever
🚨 🚨

The PR analyst in me says if our Vol insiders are legit, the AD could be tossing out Kara as an option to make it look like a slam dunk when he hires Walz. This would make sense given many here (probably representative of the TN AD circle) don’t seem to like him. Even so, he matches everything Danny White loves. He’s a proven winner and top 10 current coach. That’s like being a moth drawn to a flame. It would be a major win for DW to take him from UL so he’s likely willing to go against some at TN not wanting him.

They’re either priming us for Walz, or playing us for stupid. It’s not Kara.

Bookmark it.
Would be worth the bluehair squawking just to piss Pat Forde off.

Reactions: Ratvol and tbwhhs
The fan support at UCLA for womens basketball is terrible don't know how it is at USC. She would be moving into a place with huge support if she can make recruiting work here.
Cora Hall said UsC had a good NIl There.
Cora Hall and John Adams didn't think Tennessee would get Kara hasn't been past sweet sixteen

John Adams home run was jeff.
Cora didn't disagree she said some would want a women's coach
John Adams said Danny White would hire Jeff if that's who he wanted even if it wasn't popular

Wouldn’t either, in my brain it just all clicked together. Almost 80% career win percentage, excellent Xs and Os.

She’s pretty much always first or second in her league outside of this season. The drop off this season makes me wonder if she was distracted.

Like maybe distract by an AD at a large state university that just got a bunch of really good NIL news and now needs a coach that can take them back to the Final Four.

She’s also one of the few really good coaches who seems likely to leave. Idk why, but she just hasn’t ever seemed to be in love with Maryland. Mostly seems like she loves the game.

She has a temper and many here would be very displeased due to some very, VERY old recruiting issues. SWG story is for another day.
Mostly agree. I have my concerns about Brenda. Mainly her recruiting as of late. She hasn’t been able to recruit a decent post player since Angel left. But I think she may need a change of scenery. The coaching is there though.

Sometimes we need a new place to reinvent ourselves.

Wouldn’t either, in my brain it just all clicked together. Almost 80% career win percentage, excellent Xs and Os.

She’s pretty much always first or second in her league outside of this season. The drop off this season makes me wonder if she was distracted.

Like maybe distract by an AD at a large state university that just got a bunch of really good NIL news and now needs a coach that can take them back to the Final Four.

She’s also one of the few really good coaches who seems likely to leave. Idk why, but she just hasn’t ever seemed to be in love with Maryland. Mostly seems like she loves the game.

She has a temper and many here would be very displeased due to some very, VERY old recruiting issues. SWG story is for another day.

Not distracted as much as frustrated. If Brenda Frese takes the Tennessee job it will be because she got fed up with the lack of NIL funds to get elite recruits to College Park.

Just to send everyone into a seizure, if we miss on the candidate DW is trying to get, don’t rule out a former LV. Her supporters are definitely putting on the heat.

Who are "her supporters." Are you talking female associates in the athletic department? I'm curious. On principle alone we should not hire another former player---gawd.

Reactions: krichunaka
Have spent 3 days on Volnation, can’t get anything done, haven’t even done my taxes. 🤪

Skipping a few pages, but will go back. It’s looking like it may be harder to replace Kellie with a ”better” Coach, than certain people thought.

I genuinely do not see it this way at all. Why is it that a job that opened Monday had to be filled and announced by Thursday. The AD announced it would be a nationwide search. They are conducting interviews in another state. Over four days we’ve heard analysts report interviews were underway as earlier as day two. The Alabama Crimson Tide football team took some days to find their new coach. If Tennessee takes four or five days before we get an announcement how is that an issue?

Last edited:
Speaking of Becky Hammon, can you imagine the quandary Nikki Caldwell Fargas is in right now? I mean, she's a loyal LVFL and I'm sure would love for Tennessee to hire someone amazing who can make quick progress toward winning championships. Someone like Becky Hammon.

But right now, she is Becky Hammon's boss and knows very well that Hammon was maybe the best hire in WNBA history and the reason the Aces are likely to be perennial favorites to win it all. Nikki may feel she has to forsake her alma mater and pull out all the stops in talking Becky out of ever leaving to go coach college ball.

I can hear Nikki now: "Hammon, you don't want to get into all that mess with recruiting and NIL! You'd hate it! And the pollen in East Tennessee is just awful. You don't want to be stopped up all the time, do you? You don't want to have to deal with all those donors, either! You really need to stay right here!"

😂

Speaking of Becky Hammon, can you imagine the quandary Nikki Caldwell Fargas is in right now? I mean, she's a loyal LVFL and I'm sure would love for Tennessee to hire someone amazing who can make quick progress toward winning championships. Someone like Becky Hammon.

But right now, she is Becky Hammon's boss and knows very well that Hammon was maybe the best hire in WNBA history and the reason the Aces are likely to be perennial favorites to win it all. Nikki may feel she has to forsake her alma mater and pull out all the stops in talking Becky out of ever leaving to go coach college ball.

I can hear Nikki now: "Hammon, you don't want to get into all that mess with recruiting and NIL! You'd hate it! And the pollen in East Tennessee is just awful. You don't want to be stopped up all the time, do you? You don't want to have to deal with all those donors, either! You really need to stay right here!"

😂
the pollen is AWFUL though. if they had told me that on my visit, i might be somewhere else right now 😂

If Jeff Walz comes here it will remind me of the presidental candidate who was told by another candidate his wife was ugly and then ended up endorsing that candidate anyway. It was said publically more than once that he wasn't "moral enough" to be an LV coach. Or maybe he'd just want to come anyway for the finger to the eye of the naysayers.

My main objection to him is it feels like he's past his best years. Seems on the decline, as does Brenda Frese.

I’m being told her sucks by many here. No statistical or bball based evidence to back it up other than MTSU beating them this season (which erases those final 4’s I guess ) but man, do some people here hate that guy.
Well, he’s a man, so there’s that.

Reactions: OrangeInKy

😂

How did Caldwell Fargas become president of a WNBA franchise? Talk about failing up. In 10 seasons at LSU she made the Sweet 16 twice and
had a 51% conference winning percentage. Coaching bust, if we're honest.

I have no idea what's going on behind scenes of our Coaching search. Now as to first Walz his record and success is really good only thing missing is NC. If he took Lady Vols JOB he would be energized again except he would have the iconic Lady Vols to sell so please you saying no OK. Second Kara she is only 3 full seasons as a College coach and now has 2 Tournament runs with 1 sweet 16 and she is inexperienced. Wow what we she do as she continues to grow. Again I don't know who has interviewed but seeing people talk about these 2 you have no idea about basketball. Peace unto all. In CHRIST Alone

If Jeff Walz comes here it will remind me of the presidental candidate who was told by another candidate his wife was ugly and then ended up endorsing that candidate anyway. It was said publically more than once that he wasn't "moral enough" to be an LV coach. Or maybe he'd just want to come anyway for the finger to the eye of the naysayers.

My main objection to him is it feels like he's past his best years. Seems on the decline, as does Brenda Frese.
Everything I ever knew about his background came from here.

Maybe if he is reunited with Sam, with more NIL, and a different atmosphere would help? I honestly can’t fault him for HVL with her back in the portal again and not reaching her potential. Honestly don’t know what to think if the two options are him and Lawson.

VN Store

Back